Colorado Lawmakers React to Immigration Deal - What is BWOT reaction to this bill? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
We already know what you and Tancredo think. Kick all their asses out except for the ones that mow your lawn and put up your sheetrock.
I guess that's why that Tancredo guy scored so high on my list in the candidate scoring thread for me. I believe the only reason to change our laws on legal immigration is if they're bad laws, not because they haven't been followed or enforced. And, I don't think we should accommodate anyone who begins their residency in our country by breaking our laws. They should spend their time figuring out how to gain legal entry into this country instead of marching around, portraying themselves as victims, trying to shame us into not persecuting/prosecuting them.

And, yes, any employer who knowingly facilitates this illegal activity with employment opportunities should be prosecuted as well. Laying all the blame on the employers, however, is misguided.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Let's see, we had a law similar to this that was passed at the end of the Reagen administration......
Who was in charge of enforcement after him? Oh, we can't blame him for anything 'cuz he's a democrat and can't be blamed for anything can he.
Seems to me the Dem's were in charge of Congress at that time as well.....
Screw it, let's blame Bush anyway..................

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 05:34 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^Irrelevent Bruce, please stay on subject.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
No, it is not arguing banalities with fools like you. We invited these people here. We asked them to come. We gave them jobs, we sold them cars, we rented them houses, and paid them cheap. Now there are up to 20 million of them here.
Well at least we know one of the illegal employers in Houston.......
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Bruce's point is very relevent to the discussion and the situation the US in in today with this problem.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Sorry, I thought these might be similar, what with amnisty and enforcement and all. I guess I was wrong huh?

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 06:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does this mean all illegals with get a green card??? i wanna hop on the plane right now!!

Fuel economy!! whats that??
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
I guess that's why that Tancredo guy scored so high on my list in the candidate scoring thread for me. I believe the only reason to change our laws on legal immigration is if they're bad laws, not because they haven't been followed or enforced. And, I don't think we should accommodate anyone who begins their residency in our country by breaking our laws. They should spend their time figuring out how to gain legal entry into this country instead of marching around, portraying themselves as victims, trying to shame us into not persecuting/prosecuting them.

And, yes, any employer who knowingly facilitates this illegal activity with employment opportunities should be prosecuted as well. Laying all the blame on the employers, however, is misguided.
You have to lay the blame on the employers. If they were not openly hiring, and having their current illegals send for their friends, then much of the problem would not exist. Folks would not have started flowing into the country without having a carrot of known employment.

Add in the fact that this Administration refused to prosecute employers for the hiring practices, the failure to provide workmans compensation or any safety net for these folks and it is no wonder that we have upwards of 20Million sucking on the economy.

Employers want cheap, slave labor without consequence. We fought over this issue once before.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
Let's see, we had a law similar to this that was passed at the end of the Reagen administration......
Who was in charge of enforcement after him? Oh, we can't blame him for anything 'cuz he's a democrat and can't be blamed for anything can he.
Seems to me the Dem's were in charge of Congress at that time as well.....
Screw it, let's blame Bush anyway..................
Actually BUSH 1 was after ReagAn.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

I find the most interesting facet of the proposal the $5000 fines associated with getting legal. Seems to me that the many folks that are in the country and working minimum wage or sub minimum wage jobs are going to find it very hard to come up with $5000 in cash to pay such a fine. Many of the illegals, from what I understand send much of their paychecks back to Mexico to help support their families.

I see the $5000 as a filter that will allow more prosperous workers to stay but the ones who are being exploited the most will be either denied or jailed for failure to have the required $5000. This proposal just seems to have a bit of Jim Crow mixed into it.

McBear,
Kentucky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in