Osama Obama Praises Japanese Car Makers - To Detroit Execs! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Osama Obama Praises Japanese Car Makers - To Detroit Execs!

Barack's Sister Souljah Moment?

The Democrat candidate's tough rhetoric backfired in Detroit. Plus, griping about gas prices.

Naughton: Obama's Tough Talk Backfires in Motown - Newsweek Driving Forces - MSNBC.com

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
Naughton is a fuck-nut. Obama is absolutely correct in what he said. Why should he pull his punches?

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
What, so we have a candidate with BALLS? Someone willing to call a Dumbshit a Dumbshit. When did that become bad?

We only have SUVs because Detroit figured out that they could load up trucks with leather and replace the Station Wagon which was a part of CAFE standards. Detroit has shot itself in the foot so many times I am surprised it actually can hit anything besides holes when it shoots again.

I think the most telling sentence in the article was not the reaction to the comments but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
That's why the Detroit Three combined lost more than $16 billion last year, while Toyota earned a record $14 billion and surpassed GM as the world's largest automaker.
It's so much easier for Detroit to try and shoot the messenger than to suck it up and accept that it has failed its workers and failed its shareholders and failed this country for the past 25 years.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
What, so we have a candidate with BALLS? Someone willing to call a Dumbshit a Dumbshit. When did that become bad?

We only have SUVs because Detroit figured out that they could load up trucks with leather and replace the Station Wagon which was a part of CAFE standards. Detroit has shot itself in the foot so many times I am surprised it actually can hit anything besides holes when it shoots again.

I think the most telling sentence in the article was not the reaction to the comments but:

It's so much easier for Detroit to try and shoot the messenger than to suck it up and accept that it has failed its workers and failed its shareholders and failed this country for the past 25 years.
Do you really believe the millions of autoworkers/voters are going to get that? Or will they just read his punch line??

Don't believe everything you think
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Lifetime Premium Member
Someone mentioned to me the other day about how Japanese automakers change their logos to reflect the times and how silly that turn-of-the century cursive Ford logo on the front of a new Mustang looks. This is a very minute issue but just shows the lack of desire to be competitive.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Not sure how much I buy that...lots of car companies' logos have gone unchanged for ages. Chevy's bowtie is virtually unchanged, seems like lots of the German and Italian marques have kept true to their logos for decades.

The Ford emblem looks funny because the entire car its on resembles a 3rd trimester abortion. May as well put lipstick on a hog....except the J's would find it irresistable and try to nail it from behind.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Do you really believe the millions of autoworkers/voters are going to get that? Or will they just read his punch line??

Yes, I think most voters are smart enough to understand that bad corporate decisions have cost 750,000+ jobs in the past decade. I think Union members know who has been peeing on their pensions and sending their jobs to China and Mexico and making decisions that cost many of their friends and families jobs. They live that pressure daily.

Sure the Gov and Mayor are pissed. So are the Union leaders who have capitulated on many of the corporate decisions. I would be pissed too if someone stood up and pointed out the severity of my mistakes on a national stage if I were an automaker or politician that has supported their industry killing policies.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Japanese appear to be the only ones changing logos. What the hell is Toyopets logo anyway? A cowboy hat? A planet with rings? And what's up with Datsun?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207
The Japanese appear to be the only ones changing logos. What the hell is Toyopets logo anyway? A cowboy hat? A planet with rings? And what's up with Datsun?
Datsun has not been around since '80.

OBK #35

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Yes, I think most voters are smart enough to understand that bad corporate decisions have cost 750,000+ jobs in the past decade. I think Union members know who has been peeing on their pensions and sending their jobs to China and Mexico and making decisions that cost many of their friends and families jobs. They live that pressure daily.

Sure the Gov and Mayor are pissed. So are the Union leaders who have capitulated on many of the corporate decisions. I would be pissed too if someone stood up and pointed out the severity of my mistakes on a national stage if I were an automaker or politician that has supported their industry killing policies.
While I understand your reasoning, I bet Hillary will use this to her advantage come primary time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in