Just curious...partial birth abortion - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

View Poll Results: Your feelings on abortion...
Abortion should be allowed at any time, even after the child is born. 4 16.00%
No man should be allowed to express an opinion on what a woman can do with her body. 4 16.00%
No PBA without true safeguards to demonstrate danger to the mother. 1 4.00%
No abortion for any reason, ever. 3 12.00%
Abortion permitted only in the case of rape or incest. 4 16.00%
Abortion is a sad fact of life, but there should be reasonable restrictions. 7 28.00%
I prefer to stay ignorant on the topic and didn't read the links. 0 0%
I still refuse to participate in these polls. 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94
LOL

Ok, but on a very cynical note(not my view as Im against abortion ), if the women don't want men to discuss this issue, then how about this:

If the couple is not married and the woman gets the choice(to keep or abort w/o any input from the man), she can also foot the whole bill if the man doesn't want any responsiblity in the child?
by all means, a mutually agreeable decision should be made between a woman and a man involved. that is an individual scenario and not about blanket policymaking.

Regarding the couple in question, in an ideal world, they should not have engaged in procreating activity when the woman was in heat; instead, they should have played scrabble.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
That's an interesting angle BadBenz
As liberal as you may think I am, I am actually opposed to abortion for the sake of convenience or financial reasons. I can see it in case of rape but even then I have my doubts if the kid can be raised to be normal and without making him pay for a crime he did not commit.
It's heartening to hear that this isn't necessarily a matter of party politics, but of simple decency and morality - one that transcends the boundaries of 'conservative' or 'liberal'. There's lots of issues like this, where the subject is so repugnant, that it's easy to agree. Even the most liberal Americans won't legalize rape...even the most conservative Americans won't endorse genocide.

The population as a whole may not know it yet, but I think abortion will soon become one of these galvanizing issues for Americans. Roe v. Wade will ultimately be seen as insufficiently specific, and won't survive a competent legal and scientific challenge. Every passing day provides more reasons that the term "viability" is simultaneously the ultimate test which must be failed to justify an abortion, and the criteria which is most difficult to accurately define.

The world would have been better off if feminists found a way to make a stand for their rights that didn't lead to untold acts of brutality and murder - simply because childbirth was inconvenient, and simply because they could do so without consequence.

Seems to me that people have a hard time finding women who've had abortions, to talk to one, two, or five years on. I bet it's not all sunshine and lollypops for the women who made this choice - difficult or otherwise - and I bet each wouldn't begrudge an obligation of doctors to present ALL the facts (medical and psychological) regarding the consequences of having an abortion.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
yes, and the 99% can choose not to post on the topic (but they don't).

to some I'm not [a man]
Here ya go Nancy boy:

drewprof 4
Naomilla2.0 3
gregs210 3
BadBenz94 3
GermanStar -3
QBNCGAR 2
NZ Benz 1
Diego97 1
Botnst 1
Digmenow 1
maine_coon 1

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Hi

240Joe
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL

Ok, but on a very cynical note(not my view as Im against abortion ), if the women don't want men to discuss this issue, then how about this:

If the couple is not married and the woman gets the choice(to keep or abort w/o any input from the man), she can also foot the whole bill if the man doesn't want any responsiblity in the child?
Well I really think the man should have thought of that before be engaged in unprotected sex with that woman, he owes that child the responsibilty as the father regardless of his relationship with the mother.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wow, this thread got magically truncated--that's pretty cool. Can KamiL's inane-narcissistic threads be magically truncated, too?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
It's heartening to hear that this isn't necessarily a matter of party politics, but of simple decency and morality - one that transcends the boundaries of 'conservative' or 'liberal'. There's lots of issues like this, where the subject is so repugnant, that it's easy to agree. Even the most liberal Americans won't legalize rape...even the most conservative Americans won't endorse genocide.

The population as a whole may not know it yet, but I think abortion will soon become one of these galvanizing issues for Americans. Roe v. Wade will ultimately be seen as insufficiently specific, and won't survive a competent legal and scientific challenge. Every passing day provides more reasons that the term "viability" is simultaneously the ultimate test which must be failed to justify an abortion, and the criteria which is most difficult to accurately define.

The world would have been better off if feminists found a way to make a stand for their rights that didn't lead to untold acts of brutality and murder - simply because childbirth was inconvenient, and simply because they could do so without consequence.

Seems to me that people have a hard time finding women who've had abortions, to talk to one, two, or five years on. I bet it's not all sunshine and lollypops for the women who made this choice - difficult or otherwise - and I bet each wouldn't begrudge an obligation of doctors to present ALL the facts (medical and psychological) regarding the consequences of having an abortion.
Tough issue for me . . . on the one hand, I view Roe v Wade as one of the worst cases of constitutional interpretation/judicial meddling there ever was. On the other, even if one were to overturn it, it would not lead to the immediate elimination of abortions that people hope for/fear. All that overturning it would do would be to flip the issue to the states, and, while there are states that would ban, there are states that would not. If you add to that all the passion and money spent on the politics of this one issue, it is sad.
The manager in me believes (without really having data to back it up) that if we worked to eliminate abortion without necessarily banning it, examine the sequence of events that lead to the desire for an abortion (ie - with all the birth control technology available, how'd it happen) and address it, invest all that money given to politicians on one side of the issue or the other (who would hate to see it solved and that supply cut off), the two sides could find common ground and make some real progress.

Last edited by edfreeman; 05-02-2007 at 07:20 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
Well I really think the man should have thought of that before be engaged in unprotected sex with that woman, he owes that child the responsibilty as the father regardless of his relationship with the mother.
While I dont disagree, I was trying to put another angle on the argument, let me try again:
The two tangoed and had unprotected sex, but if the man wants the child and the woman doesn't, what right has he? Why does she get sole choice as to be the bearer of responsibility or lack thereof? If the woman doesn't want it, no biggie, but if the man doesn't, he will have no choice but to acceptment the responsibility both fiscally and otherwise. So she has her womans rights, what are the mans rights?

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
That's an interesting angle BadBenz
As liberal as you may think I am, I am actually opposed to abortion for the sake of convenience or financial reasons.
I know your an alright guy!! Im sure most of here would get along quite well if we met each other(of course there are exceptions to that! ).

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
While I dont disagree, I was trying to put another angle on the argument, let me try again:
The two tangoed and had unprotected sex, but if the man wants the child and the woman doesn't, what right has he? Why does she get sole choice as to be the bearer of responsibility or lack thereof? If the woman doesn't want it, no biggie, but if the man doesn't, he will have no choice but to acceptment the responsibility both fiscally and otherwise. So she has her womans rights, what are the mans rights?
Exactly it should be based on both the parents wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in