LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bush vetos funding for troops in the field.

First his supporters protesting at funerals. Now, Bush vetos funding for our troops in the field. During wartime no less. The shame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Oh he wants the money for the troops and his war, all right

.....But he wants it on HIS terms. Hence the veto. Nothing will change there until democrats amass a veto proof majority in Congress, or the late and unlamented administration finally terms out

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
Oh he wants the money for the troops and his war, all right

.....But he wants it on HIS terms. Hence the veto. Nothing will change there until democrats amass a veto proof majority in Congress, or the late and unlamented administration finally terms out
You are wrong about that. Congress doesn't have to fund squat.

OBK #35

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
It would be nice to see a serious debate on what would happen if no funding bill was to be presented to the President, other than the one he just vetoed. Do the troops have to come home immediately? If not, why not? The country needs to make it clear. The 2006 vote was a "no confidence" vote on George Bush and the goons who supported him. "No Confidence" means, we don't believe what he says anymore, we don't trust his judgement, and we don't want him as the "decider" anymore.

George needs to understand he just fucked up the role of President with his inability to work with a new Congress voted in specifically to put shackles on his lack of leadership and penchant for unguided decision making. No one is fooled by his offers to meet with Congress to discuss this bill as long as Congress gives him what he wants. Ridiculous and childish. Someone needs to give George a ball and tell him to go home. Jim
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
All we need now to finish destroying the USA is another ghastly terrorist attack and the super screaming Repuglicunts will mow over the masses yet again.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I thought his point was, and he made it very clear before that funding bill came to his desk, that he would veto any bill that contained a time frame for troop withdrawal. I am not an avid Bush supporter, but this should come as no surprize to anyone who follows the news reports. I do not see his veto as a denial of funds for our heroes in uniform.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
President Bush breaks out his veto crayon, takes a bite, and draws a frownie face on the Emergency Iraq Spending Bill

I agree with Jim. What will happen if there is no more spending bills coming down the pike. Time for everyone to call their congressional office and find out.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann
I thought his point was, and he made it very clear before that funding bill came to his desk, that he would veto any bill that contained a time frame for troop withdrawal. I am not an avid Bush supporter, but this should come as no surprize to anyone who follows the news reports. I do not see his veto as a denial of funds for our heroes in uniform.
I guess I don't see how Bush is not responsible for the lack of funding. He vetoed the funding bill, with the funds he asked for, and then some. Because he doesn't want to include Congress in his plan for implementing his strategy for his quagmire in Iraq. I think George has lost his authority and it is time for Congress to make clear to him he is not the king. America doesn't have kings. He is 1/3 of the government. He controls ~1/3 of the power the United States Constitution has vested in the government. He does not control the budget, thank god. Congress is demanding, based on the resounding vote of "no confidence in George W. Bush" of last November, that George share some of his thoughts on his quagmire. Like, what are our troops doing there now? What is the mission? How do we measure their performance? What is the exit strategy? When do we implement the exit strategy? Bush has not thought about this stuff so he can't share it, and the American people are fed up. So Congress must demand to be involved and will use the only tool they have that Bush cannot usurp to gain access. The power of the the purse.

Bush's demand to be treated like he was King George I will result, I hope, in the defunding of the troops and their imminent return to the United States. Jim
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I guess I don't see how Bush is not responsible for the lack of funding. He vetoed the funding bill, with the funds he asked for, and then some. Because he doesn't want to include Congress in his plan for implementing his strategy for his quagmire in Iraq. I think George has lost his authority and it is time for Congress to make clear to him he is not the king. America doesn't have kings. He is 1/3 of the government. He controls ~1/3 of the power the United States Constitution has vested in the government. He does not control the budget, thank god. Congress is demanding, based on the resounding vote of "no confidence in George W. Bush" of last November, that George share some of his thoughts on his quagmire. Like, what are our troops doing there now? What is the mission? How do we measure their performance? What is the exit strategy? When do we implement the exit strategy? Bush has not thought about this stuff so he can't share it, and the American people are fed up. So Congress must demand to be involved and will use the only tool they have that Bush cannot usurp to gain access. The power of the the purse.

Bush's demand to be treated like he was King George I will result, I hope, in the defunding of the troops and their imminent return to the United States. Jim
Very well balanced, Jim. So few of us remember how much military training and field experience people like Pelosi, Kucinich, Clinton, et al have - they're far better positioned and prepared to establish timetables for massive troop movements and about-faces of policy and operations (given their close proximity and constant attention to developments on the ground) than the Generals who've blown their entire lives establishing careers and shedding blood to make sure our objectives are met.

Blow it out your asses.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The generals in this country do what they are told. Congress tells them what they can spend money on, and Congress sets regulations for the military. The president is in command in the field. As Jim points out, he is not the king. Fuck your generals, power in this country belongs to the people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in