Far rightwing protestors disrupt hero's funeral in New Hampshire - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Far rightwing protestors disrupt hero's funeral in New Hampshire

Once again, far right wing fundamentalist religious nuts who endorse the anti-homosexual agenda of Republicans like Pat Robertson once again held a protest at a fallen hero's funeral, saying his death was God's Justice for the nation tolerating gays and doing other liberal bad things. When are these right wing nut jobs going to stop disrupting the funerals of our fallen soldiers? Why doesn't the right wing power structure condemn their activities? Do Cheney, Bush and Robertson endores the actions of their supporters with their silence?

Patriotism prevails over protest
By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News Staff
Sunday, Apr. 22, 2007

Hampstead – Her heart was breaking, until the man with the flag restored Monika McGillicuddy's faith.

It was last Wednesday, and the town of Hampstead was saying goodbye to one of its beloved sons, Army Capt. Jonathan Grassbaugh, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq on April 8.

The funeral for the 25-year-old Army Ranger was being held at St. Anne Catholic Church.

Just down the street, at the real estate office where she works, McGillicuddy noticed the protesters on the corner.

Three members of a Topeka, Kan., organization that calls itself the Westboro Baptist Church were there, their signs shocking. The group uses extreme language and Biblical references to claim that a variety of events -- from the death of soldiers in Iraq to, most recently, the Virginia Tech shootings -- are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

The Kansas group has been in New Hampshire before, including a protest outside the ceremony installing the Rev. Gene Robinson as the Episcopal bishop of New Hampshire. But this is the first soldier's funeral they've picketed, and the experience left local residents deeply shaken.

McGillicuddy, who lives in East Hampstead, was among several who confronted the protesters, and found herself the target of one woman's hate. "She was saying that all the deaths were my fault, and negative stuff about God. Like God wanted death and that it was our fault this was happening and we were godless and we're going to burn in hell."

"No, I think it'll be you," McGillicuddy finally told her before walking away, shaken.

Her biggest concern was that Capt. Grassbaugh's parents, brother and young wife would see the signs, and hear the hateful speech and chanting. "My heart was breaking," she said. "I can only imagine the horrific pain they're feeling, and to see something like that ... I was devastated."

That's when she noticed the man. He was carrying a large American flag, and he placed himself squarely in front of the protesters.

Pat Langlois of Kingston also works at the Hampstead real estate office.

When she first saw the man with the flag, Langlois feared a confrontation; she could tell he was upset. But he just stood there, defiantly, proudly, with his flag. "I felt for that man," she said. "He was so hurt by what they were doing."

"Then all of a sudden, other people started to gather around him. Then a whole procession of other people came up the street with their flags," Langlois said

She went outside and shook the man's hand, "and thanked him for standing there in that cold."

"He said all we can do is outnumber them."

"He was a proud American," Langlois said. "He wanted that family to know that these people were insane, crazy. I think he just wanted to be a part of honoring this young man and trying to outnumber these other people."

Langlois also confronted one of the protesters. "I said to her she was dishonoring this young man and his family. Then she started talking about hell and how all these soldiers are going to hell."

"She tried to quote verses from the Bible and I could tell just listening to her and looking at her that it really wasn't coming from the Bible. I go to church. I read my Bible."

"That's not God's way. That's hatred, in my book," Langlois said.

McGillicuddy wrote a blog about the experience, and included a photo of the mystery man with the flag. She'd like him to know how much the counter-protest inspired her.

"It was just really heartening to see," she said. "It made me smile, even though the rest of it was so horrible to look at."

The Kansas group's picketing at other soldiers' funerals across the country led Congress to pass, and President Bush to sign last Memorial Day, the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act, which restricts protesters at funerals held at national cemeteries.

The group's protests also gave rise to the Patriot Guard Riders, an amalgam of veterans and motorcycle groups who attend military funerals.

A "news release" posted April 13 on the WBC website had warned it planned to picket the hometown funerals of service members killed that week, held at churches of numerous denominations. It listed Capt. Grassbaugh on its "roster of the damned."

Paul Boore of Milford is a ride captain for the New Hampshire PGR. He attended Capt. Grassbaugh's funeral in Hampstead; it was his first encounter with the WBC protesters.

"It made my stomach roll," he said. "The hate that they spewed out was overpowering."

But he said his group's response was to walk quietly by without confronting the trio. "In the tradition of a biker, basically you turn your back on them and don't acknowledge them," he said. "That's the ultimate insult."

Boore said the PGR members do not attend the funerals because of the protesters. "We will only be there if we're invited by the family, and then we're only there to pay respect to the soldiers."

David Slone of Ruckersville, Va., was one of the Patriot Guard Riders "ride captains" for Capt. Grassbaugh's burial services, held last Thursday at Arlington National Cemetery. He said the WBC did not picket that service, but they have been outside the cemetery gates at other military burials.

"These guys are fighting to give them the freedom to talk about these guys in these ways," said Slone, who lived previously in Hooksett. "It's just heartbreaking."

The PGR's primary mission is to honor the fallen heroes and take care of their families, he said. "I've buried 23 heroes."

Slone said the riders, armed with 3-by-5-foot American flags, line the road across from the WBC protesters. "And when the WBC starts singing their chants, we've been known to break out into all sorts of patriotic songs ourselves. If it really gets bad, we've been known to start up our motorcycles and drown them out."

Slone said the founders of the group were Vietnam veterans, who knew firsthand the pain of returning home to disrespectful protests. "And they said never again. That was the genesis of the PGR."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
May the PGR's numbers grow . . .

post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
A church down the road had a funeral this last week for a soldier. The motorcycle riders were standing in line holding flags as the people filed into the church. Pasture Phelps and his nut jobs were nowhere to be found.

FTL, Love Pat Robertson or hate him, I hardly believe he'd be protesting along side these off their kilter nuts. I know of NO ONE who subscribes to the twisted views of the Westboro Bratist Church.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
A church down the road had a funeral this last week for a soldier. The motorcycle riders were standing in line holding flags as the people filed into the church. Pasture Phelps and his nut jobs were nowhere to be found.

FTL, Love Pat Robertson or hate him, I hardly believe he'd be protesting along side these off their kilter nuts. I know of NO ONE who subscribes to the twisted views of the Westboro Bratist Church.

In some countries, "pasture phelps" are a prime source of energy.
Midwesterners are known to use them in perverse games.

It's a strange world.........
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is one easy way to make them go away - engage any of them (though the younger women are easier targets) and discuss how difficult it mist be to have to travel so far to give their message. That hotels are expensive - how do they afford to come to XXX place and tell us the truth. Invariably you will hear how they travel together and how the women and men are segregated in different hotel rooms.
Ask if it isn’t difficult to be separated from spouse and the response is always “no” not when doing “god’s work” - ask if spouse is in the other hotel room and spouse always is (these people are all extended family of Fred Phelps).
Then point out that it seems very gay to segregate married couples into “boys and girls” at the hotel. Act shocked as you realize that this is a gay hate group masquerading as straight and tell them that they should read their own signs!
I’ve had several of them run away from me - and I never raised my voice or gave them any reason to believe that I wasn’t on their side until I point out the implications of their strange lifestyle. They are so homophobic that they simply can’t take any analysis that suggests they might be gay!
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Once again, far right wing fundamentalist religious nuts who endorse the anti-homosexual agenda of Republicans like Pat Robertson once again held a protest at a fallen hero's funeral, saying his death was God's Justice for the nation tolerating gays and doing other liberal bad things. When are these right wing nut jobs going to stop disrupting the funerals of our fallen soldiers? Why doesn't the right wing power structure condemn their activities? Do Cheney, Bush and Robertson endores the actions of their supporters with their silence?
Those guys are real pieces of shit.

That said, your effort to turn this story into an assault on Republicans, and ergo, a thinly veiled stab at conservatives, is almost equally dispicable. Start condeming each and every disgusting bastard operating under the banners of either liberalism and/or the DNC, and we can start talking about why you think these guys seem to be getting a pass. Turnabout being fair play, we could lump you in with any child molester who voted democrat or who is against the war. See how much better you feel if you don't let retarded thoughts like this drive you to the brink of insanity for a week, and check back in with us.

Last edited by Qubes; 04-28-2007 at 09:44 PM.
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd
There is one easy way to make them go away - engage any of them (though the younger women are easier targets) and discuss how difficult it mist be to have to travel so far to give their message. That hotels are expensive - how do they afford to come to XXX place and tell us the truth. Invariably you will hear how they travel together and how the women and men are segregated in different hotel rooms.
Ask if it isn’t difficult to be separated from spouse and the response is always “no” not when doing “god’s work” - ask if spouse is in the other hotel room and spouse always is (these people are all extended family of Fred Phelps).
Then point out that it seems very gay to segregate married couples into “boys and girls” at the hotel. Act shocked as you realize that this is a gay hate group masquerading as straight and tell them that they should read their own signs!
I’ve had several of them run away from me - and I never raised my voice or gave them any reason to believe that I wasn’t on their side until I point out the implications of their strange lifestyle. They are so homophobic that they simply can’t take any analysis that suggests they might be gay!
Why bother even to have conversation with these nut jobs. They come into my town , I guarantee you will hear it on the news.

I have a final solution tailored to those shit heads. Nothing a Louisville slugger cannot change someone's head, literally.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:06 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
They come into my town , I guarantee you will hear it on the news.

I have a final solution tailored to those shit heads. Nothing a Louisville slugger cannot change someone's head, literally.

Updated: 9:30 p.m. ET April 28, 2007
ANNAPOLIS - Cashier at local sporting goods store noticed nothing unusual.

"He had on a long sleeve polo, baggy shorts and boat shoes with no socks. He wasn't any different form the rest of the people who shop here." according to the cashier at the Annapolis Plaza purveyor of footballs, lacrosse sticks and Under Armour®. "We suggested batting gloves but he said he already had some."

Some Maryland state legislators are now calling for tighter restrictions on the sale of baseball bats, billiard sticks and Sperry Docksiders®. When asked for comment, Governor Martin O'Malley muttered, "Why did I ever leave the Mayor's job in Baltimore?"

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 07:23 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Where's Alan Passaro when you need him?

post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 09:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove

Patriotism prevails over protest
By SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News Staff
Sunday, Apr. 22, 2007

Hampstead – Her heart was breaking, until the man with the flag restored Monika McGillicuddy's faith.

It was last Wednesday, and the town of Hampstead was saying goodbye to one of its beloved sons, Army Capt. Jonathan Grassbaugh, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq on April 8.

The funeral for the 25-year-old Army Ranger was being held at St. Anne Catholic Church.

Just down the street, at the real estate office where she works, McGillicuddy noticed the protesters on the corner.

Three members of a Topeka, Kan., organization that calls itself the Westboro Baptist Church were there, their signs shocking. The group uses extreme language and Biblical references to claim that a variety of events -- from the death of soldiers in Iraq to, most recently, the Virginia Tech shootings -- are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

The Kansas group has been in New Hampshire before, including a protest outside the ceremony installing the Rev. Gene Robinson as the Episcopal bishop of New Hampshire. But this is the first soldier's funeral they've picketed, and the experience left local residents deeply shaken.

McGillicuddy, who lives in East Hampstead, was among several who confronted the protesters, and found herself the target of one woman's hate. "She was saying that all the deaths were my fault, and negative stuff about God. Like God wanted death and that it was our fault this was happening and we were godless and we're going to burn in hell."

"No, I think it'll be you," McGillicuddy finally told her before walking away, shaken.

Her biggest concern was that Capt. Grassbaugh's parents, brother and young wife would see the signs, and hear the hateful speech and chanting. "My heart was breaking," she said. "I can only imagine the horrific pain they're feeling, and to see something like that ... I was devastated."

That's when she noticed the man. He was carrying a large American flag, and he placed himself squarely in front of the protesters.

Pat Langlois of Kingston also works at the Hampstead real estate office.

When she first saw the man with the flag, Langlois feared a confrontation; she could tell he was upset. But he just stood there, defiantly, proudly, with his flag. "I felt for that man," she said. "He was so hurt by what they were doing."

"Then all of a sudden, other people started to gather around him. Then a whole procession of other people came up the street with their flags," Langlois said

She went outside and shook the man's hand, "and thanked him for standing there in that cold."

"He said all we can do is outnumber them."

"He was a proud American," Langlois said. "He wanted that family to know that these people were insane, crazy. I think he just wanted to be a part of honoring this young man and trying to outnumber these other people."

Langlois also confronted one of the protesters. "I said to her she was dishonoring this young man and his family. Then she started talking about hell and how all these soldiers are going to hell."

"She tried to quote verses from the Bible and I could tell just listening to her and looking at her that it really wasn't coming from the Bible. I go to church. I read my Bible."

"That's not God's way. That's hatred, in my book," Langlois said.

McGillicuddy wrote a blog about the experience, and included a photo of the mystery man with the flag. She'd like him to know how much the counter-protest inspired her.

"It was just really heartening to see," she said. "It made me smile, even though the rest of it was so horrible to look at."

The Kansas group's picketing at other soldiers' funerals across the country led Congress to pass, and President Bush to sign last Memorial Day, the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act, which restricts protesters at funerals held at national cemeteries.

The group's protests also gave rise to the Patriot Guard Riders, an amalgam of veterans and motorcycle groups who attend military funerals.

A "news release" posted April 13 on the WBC website had warned it planned to picket the hometown funerals of service members killed that week, held at churches of numerous denominations. It listed Capt. Grassbaugh on its "roster of the damned."

Paul Boore of Milford is a ride captain for the New Hampshire PGR. He attended Capt. Grassbaugh's funeral in Hampstead; it was his first encounter with the WBC protesters.

"It made my stomach roll," he said. "The hate that they spewed out was overpowering."

But he said his group's response was to walk quietly by without confronting the trio. "In the tradition of a biker, basically you turn your back on them and don't acknowledge them," he said. "That's the ultimate insult."

Boore said the PGR members do not attend the funerals because of the protesters. "We will only be there if we're invited by the family, and then we're only there to pay respect to the soldiers."

David Slone of Ruckersville, Va., was one of the Patriot Guard Riders "ride captains" for Capt. Grassbaugh's burial services, held last Thursday at Arlington National Cemetery. He said the WBC did not picket that service, but they have been outside the cemetery gates at other military burials.

"These guys are fighting to give them the freedom to talk about these guys in these ways," said Slone, who lived previously in Hooksett. "It's just heartbreaking."

The PGR's primary mission is to honor the fallen heroes and take care of their families, he said. "I've buried 23 heroes."

Slone said the riders, armed with 3-by-5-foot American flags, line the road across from the WBC protesters. "And when the WBC starts singing their chants, we've been known to break out into all sorts of patriotic songs ourselves. If it really gets bad, we've been known to start up our motorcycles and drown them out."

Slone said the founders of the group were Vietnam veterans, who knew firsthand the pain of returning home to disrespectful protests. "And they said never again. That was the genesis of the PGR."
In that entire article you Pasted above, would you please point out where it said those loons were "right wing" or even "conservative" or "Republican." You are an absurd example of the worst elements of the extreme leftwing kookberger contingent. You should be ashamed because you make legitimate liberals look like total idiots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fred Phelps.jpg (97.4 KB, 80 views)

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in