Far rightwing protestors disrupt hero's funeral in New Hampshire - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
I think this forum user said it best as to why he should NOT attend:

Dean's World: Freakin' Cool

I've seen this "not attending funerals" run around for a spell now and it got me to wondering.

Should he?

I've decided, no, he shouldn't.

It would detract from the purpose of the funeral. It would turn the funeral into a media event. It would draw the focus from its rightful place, the deceased and their grieving family.

I've been to funerals where some bigwig comes, maybe for the right reasons, maybe not. But in all cases it altered the solemnity and focus of the occassion. And there is no re-do for these moments.

Funerals are private moments for famly and friends. Outsiders don't belong no matter how important they are.

And, seriously, if Bush attended a single funeral, wouldn't there be many who would howl as they do now about the "PR stunt" it was?

I know that, were I a grieving widow, I would not appreciate some outsider crashing my husband's funeral.

Best to let the dead and the grieving have their ceremony unburdened by a presidential visit.

Lunacy
Wanted: typical right winger. Top skill set required: Must be skilled at making excuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Wanted: typical right winger. Top skill set required: Must be skilled at making excuses.
Now that I've politely answered your question more than once, now it's your turn.
What good do you think it would do for the families of fallen soldiers to have the President attend their loved one's funeral? Think it through before you answer.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #93 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I think attending funerals achieve a national purpose. Perhaps this minor example will illustrate, this little known tidbit from a funeral for 25,000 men:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

But you are right, Bush would never be capable of anything like that, so best let him stay home and work on his next "Mission Accomplished" or "Yellowcake from Africa" speech.
post #94 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Wait, I know this joke.

Again I ask the question: WHY DOESN'T THE PRESIDENT ATTEND ANY FUNERALS OF FALLEN SOLDIERS? WHY DOES HE NOT PERSONNALLY ATTEND ONE THESE CONSERVATIVE CHRISTIANS WILL BE PROTESTING AT, Assholes.
What are you? FTL x 2? You must be proud!

I least I always know where FTL stands, but w/ you I never know except that you will be NEGATIVE!

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05-01-2007 at 04:36 PM.
post #95 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk

I least I always know where FTL stands, but w/ you I never know except that you will be NEGATIVE!
It's a fair question. Why do questions connatate so negatively for you? Do the answers scare you?

OBK #35

post #96 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
When did he ever run as a Republican? When did he ever identify as a Republican? You and FTFL are the only ones professing them to be Republicans. So you're saying that a person rejected by Democrat voters is a Republican? With that reasoning, I guess Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro are all Republicans. You can spin it all you want but Pasture Phelps is a registered Democrat. It really stings when false hoods come back to bite you guys in the ass, does it not?

I never said he was a republican. I don't recall any qualification requirements for anyone to register as a Democrat, though. So, the fact that he registered and got some other nuts to register and sign his petition to run for office says nothing about him being a Democratic Party "member" and, the fact that he lost every time he ran would refute the idea that the Democratic Party accepted and supported him.

On the other hand, it seems more than plausible that Karl "brown baby" Rove might take this Republican Party Platform pillar of support and try to use him to infiltrate the Democratic Party. Afterall he seems to be entirely dedicated to promoting the principe plank, hating gays, of the Republican Party. Which is not a Democratic Party initiative at all.

So, by his politics he is closer to an effervescent supporter of the Republican National Political Agenda than anything in the Democractic Party's Platform, anywhere. Makes him a kind of Republican to me. A Karl Rove/Gahan Wilson creation, but Republican nonetheless. Jim
post #97 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk

Reread my post. I was posting up the punchline for the old joke. Put it in its more original form.

Debutante 1: Where are you from?

Debutante 2: I was raised where you don't end a sentence in a preposition.

Debutante 1: OK, Where are you from Bitch?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #98 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I never said he was a republican. I don't recall any qualification requirements for anyone to register as a Democrat, though. So, the fact that he registered and got some other nuts to register and sign his petition to run for office says nothing about him being a Democratic Party "member" and, the fact that he lost every time he ran would refute the idea that the Democratic Party accepted and supported him.

On the other hand, it seems more than plausible that Karl "brown baby" Rove might take this Republican Party Platform pillar of support and try to use him to infiltrate the Democratic Party. Afterall he seems to be entirely dedicated to promoting the principe plank, hating gays, of the Republican Party. Which is not a Democratic Party initiative at all.

So, by his politics he is closer to an effervescent supporter of the Republican National Political Agenda than anything in the Democractic Party's Platform, anywhere. Makes him a kind of Republican to me. A Karl Rove/Gahan Wilson creation, but Republican nonetheless. Jim
Stream's getting crowded, isn't it?
post #99 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Why? You and Phelps having a hard time swimming together?
post #100 of 127 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in