U.S. Army officer accuses generals of Iraq failures - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
U.S. Army officer accuses generals of Iraq failures

This didn't seem to make as big a splash in the US press as it did elsewhere.

U.S. Army officer accuses generals of Iraq failures

THOMAS WAGNER

Associated Press

April 27, 2007 at 9:52 AM EDT

BAGHDAD — An active U.S. Army officer warns that the United States faces the prospect of defeat in Iraq, blaming American generals for failing to prepare their forces for an insurgency and misleading Congress about the situation here.

“For reasons that are not yet clear, America's general officer corps underestimated the strength of the enemy, overestimated the capabilities of Iraq's government and security forces, and failed to provide Congress with an accurate assessment of security conditions in Iraq,” Lieutenant-Colonel Paul Yingling said in the article published Friday in the Armed Forces Journal.

Several retired generals have made similar comments, but such public criticism from an active officer is rare. It suggests that misgivings about the conduct of the Iraq war are widespread in the officer corps at a critical time in the troubled U.S. military mission here.

U.S. military spokesman Lt.-Col. Christopher Garver was not immediately available Friday morning to comment on the article.
Internet Links

* The Armed Forces Journal Popup

The Globe and Mail

Col. Yingling served as deputy commander of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. He has served two tours in Iraq, another in Bosnia and a fourth in Iraq's Operation Desert Storm in 1991. He attended the army's elite School for Advanced Military Studies and has written for one of its top professional journals, Military Review.

In the article published Friday, Col. Yingling wrote that the generals not only went into Iraq preparing for a high-technology conventional war with too few soldiers, they also had no coherent plan for postwar stabilization. The generals also failed to tell the U.S. public about the intensity of the insurgency their forces were facing, he wrote.

“The intellectual and moral failures common to America's general officer corps in Vietnam and Iraq constitute a crisis in American generalship,” he said.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said his government plans to take full control of security from the U.S.-led forces before the end of the year. In February, coalition forces launched the Baghdad security plan, which calls for 28,000 additional U.S. troops, as well as thousands of Iraqi soldiers, most of whom will be deployed in violent Baghdad.

Col. Yingling appeared to welcome that change but suggested it is too little too late.

“For most of the war, American forces in Iraq have concentrated on large forward-operating bases, isolated from the Iraqi people and focused on capturing or killing insurgents,” he wrote. “In 2007, Iraq's grave and deteriorating condition offers diminishing hope for an American victory and portends an even wider and more destructive regional war.”

During the past decade, U.S. forces have done little to prepare for the kind of brutal, adaptive insurgencies they are now fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, Col. Yingling said.

“Given the lack of troop strength, not even the most brilliant general could have devised the ways necessary to stabilize post-Saddam Iraq.”

Col. Yingling said he believes that no single civilian or military leader has caused what he regards as the current failure in Iraq.

He said the U.S. Congress must reform and better monitor the military officer promotion system it has to choose generals. The Senate should use its confirmation powers to hold accountable officers who fail to achieve U.S. aims, he said.

“We still have time to select as our generals those who possess the intelligence to visualize future conflicts and the moral courage to advise civilian policy makers on the preparations needed for our security,” he wrote.

The Armed Forces Journal and its Web site are published by Army Times Publishing Co., a part of Gannett Company, Inc., and the world's largest publisher of professional military and defense periodicals. The company's publications serve all branches of the U.S. military, the global defence community and the U.S. federal government.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
But didn't this idiot said this? Gee, what a big surprise!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vstory_bush_banner_afp.jpg (11.9 KB, 52 views)

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
If the Army officer is guilty I hope he gets demoted and jailed.

B
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
If the Army officer is guilty I hope he gets demoted and jailed.

B
I'm sure you do.

OBK #35

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
I'm sure you do.
You don't?

What do you Tralfamadoreans do with guys like that?

B
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
You don't?

What do you Tralfamadoreans do with guys like that?

B
On one hand I admire the guy for telling the truth as he sees it. One the other ??? I don't have knowledge of military law. You tell me. Firing squad?

OBK #35

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
On one hand I admire the guy for telling the truth as he sees it. One the other ??? I don't have knowledge of military law. You tell me. Firing squad?
Look it up in the UCMJ. A very straight-forward bit of writing.

B
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:

B
That's ok. I'm sure it is.

OBK #35

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

B
I see. Telling the truth is a violation of the UCMJ. Right. The casualties we have suffered in Iraq were the direct result and continue to be the direct result of grotesque mismanagement. He is saving the lives of soldiers by speaking out against this disgusting fiasco. I say give him a fucking medal. Instead, your Fearless Leader puts medals on men we now know were incompetent fools who perpertrated this clusterfuck on our troops.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
The UCMJ not only outlines regulations and military law, they also state what can be a defense for violating them, with wide latitude given for anyone who acts in good faith against what they view as an unlawful order, or as in the case here, orders which are negligent and callously indifferent to the lives of the soldiers. Let's say some general likes bansai charges, ordering his men to charge machine guns while they are dressed in loin cloths with swords. His officers could lawfully object. Iraq is one great big fucking bansai charge.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 04-27-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in