Rice to defy US Constitution: will she be impeached? - Page 5 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego97
this tactic of 'you dont know what youre talking about so go away until you study more' just isn't going to work. I dont care that most of you old farts spend almost every waking moment on this forum and have for years doesnt make you 'experts' because you are wrong, dead wrong, couldnt be more wrong and what we are discussing is all debateable. So i'm staying, until you fossils see the light. Seems to me the only ones on here that have a clue are jayhawk and botnst and even though i dont always agree with him, mcbear makes a lot of sense. so i'll be here a while and thanks for your concern
If you think Jayhawk has a clue you really need to take a break and grow a penis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
I recall the document as well. You could sum up Saddam's outlook as being a ruthless dictator who tolerated no competition. He viewed Ossamma as likely competition. Saddam was also no fool. A shitheaded savage maybe, but no fool. There was no sanctioned Al-Qaeda activity in Saddam's Iraq even if he didn't declare "war" on Ossama.

Jim
Yes, and the latest to confirm the lack of an Iraq/Al Quaeda connection was the recent Bill Moyers report, in which he cited various middle east experts--reporters who actually have lived there for years--who were astonished when the Saddam/Bin Laden conspiracy idea was first floated. Secularist Saddam had no use for Islamist Bin Laden, and certainly was in no frame of mind to share power with him. Al Quaeda in Iraq came after U.S. involvement.

Joe B.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
I recall the document, which describes very little contact and no cooperation between two groups with a common enemy. Saddam wanted nothing to do with Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, he had enough problems of his own, and had no interest in Bin Laden's grandiose global objectives.....
9/11 Commission Report touches on that. I believe that the inference is they were doign a dance of convenience, not love. The ol' "Enemy of my enemy" thing. That Saddam offered safe haven indicates a less than total rejection and Bin Laden's preference for Afghanistan. Note the paragraph below indicating a more cordial attitude in 1999 than 1997, when Saddam & Bin Laden were hostile toward each other. It isn't kiss-and-make-up, but it shows the depth of their mutual hatred of the USA and a willing pragmatism. But no known actual cooperation.

This speaks to the ambiguity that you mentioned in a couple of other threads. Lots of hints and innuendo but few provable facts. Trying to put it all together into a comprehensible model for policymakers is what the CIA was designed to do from its inception. A task for which it seems to have a less than stellar public record.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting, Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States.76
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in