post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210
Sorry to quibble, but I didn't write it.

I'd think the author -- who lives in Europe -- might disagree with you.

Since I don't live there, I can only presume that he didn't mean it as rhetoric.

In any case you'd have to take up your position with him.
When you post without offering your own positions, it's only natural to presume you agree. And my opinion is the piece is empty rhetoric, nothing more.

OBK #35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs210
First published in November, 2004, this is still a pretty potent piece.

I wonder if Mr. Dapfner would still agree 100% with what he wrote, and either way, how much heat he has taken for his position.

EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE

(Commentary by Mathias Dapfner CEO, Axel Springer, AG)

A few days ago Henry Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe - your family name is appeasement." It's a phrase you can't get out of your head because it's so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives, as England and France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to toothless agreements.

Appeasement legitimized and stabilized Communism in the Soviet Union, then East Germany, then all the rest of Eastern Europe, where for decades, inhuman suppressive, murderous governments were glorified as the ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities.

Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo, and even though we had absolute proof of ongoing mass-murder, we Europeans debated and debated and debated, and were still debating when finally the Americans had to come from halfway around the world, into Europe yet again, and do our work for us.

Rather than protecting democracy in the Middle East, European Appeasement, camouflaged behind the fuzzy word "equidistance," now countenances suicide bombings in Israel by fundamentalist Palestinians.

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore nearly 500,000 victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and, motivated by the self-righteousness of the peace movement, has the gall to issue bad grades to George Bush... Even as it is uncovered that the loudest critics of the American action in Iraq made illicit billions, no, TENS of billions, in the corrupt U.N. Oil-for-Food program.

And now we are faced with a particularly grotesque form of appeasement.

How is Germany reacting to the escalating violence by Islamic Fundamentalists in Holland and elsewhere? By suggesting that we really should have a "Muslim Holiday" in Germany?

I wish I were joking, but I am not. A substantial fraction of our (German) Government, and if the polls are to be believed, the German people, actually believe that creating an Official State "Muslim Holiday" will somehow spare us from the wrath of the fanatical Islamists. One cannot help but recall Britain's Neville Chamberlain waving the laughable treaty signed by Adolph Hitler and declaring European "Peace in our time".

What else has to happen before the European public and its political leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims, focused on civilians, directed against our free, open Western societies, and intent upon Western Civilization's utter destruction.

It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than any of the great military conflicts of the last century - a conflict conducted by an enemy that cannot be tamed by "tolerance" and "accommodation" but is actually spurred on by such gestures, which have proven to be, and will always be taken by the Islamists for signs of weakness. Only two recent American Presidents had the courage needed for Anti-appeasement: Reagan and Bush.

His American critics may quibble over the details, but we Europeans know the truth. We saw it first hand: Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War, freeing half of the German people from nearly 50 years of terror and virtual slavery. And Bush, supported only by the Social Democrat Blair, acting on moral conviction, recognized the danger in the Islamic War against Democracy. His place in history will have to be evaluated after a number of years have passed.

In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence in the multicultural corner, instead of defending liberal society's values and being an attractive center of power on the same playing field as the true great powers, America and China.

On the contrary - we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to those "arrogant Americans", as the World Champions of "tolerance", which even (Germany's Interior Minister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes. Why? Because we're so moral? I fear it's more because we're so materialistic, so devoid of a moral compass.

For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of additional n ational debt, and a massive and persistent burden on the American economy - because unlike almost all of Europe, Bush realizes what is at stake - literally everything.

While we criticize the "capitalistic robber barons" of America because they seem too sure of their priorities, we timidly defend our Social Welfare systems. Stay out of it! It could get expensive! We'd rather discuss reducing our 35-hour workweek or our dental coverage, or our 4 weeks of paid vacation... Or listen to TV pastors preach about the need to "reach out to terrorists. To understand and forgive".

These days, Europe reminds me of an old woman who, with shaking hands, frantically hides her last pieces of jewelry when she notices a robber breaking into a neighbor's house.

Appeasement?

Europe, thy name is Cowardice
Greg, you are correct.

Americans are much more tolerant than Europeans in general.

But when it is time to stand up against evil, Americans will do so in a minute.

Take it from someone who spent half of his life in Europe and another half in the USA.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Greg, you are correct.

Americans are much more tolerant than Europeans in general.

But when it is time to stand up against evil, Americans will do so in a minute.

Take it from someone who spent half of his life in Europe and another half in the USA.
Mmm... So when did the US decide to enter WW2 and join the UK and its Empire against Nazi Germany? Slightly longer than a minute, I believe....
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole
Mmm... So when did the US decide to enter WW2 and join the UK and its Empire against Nazi Germany? Slightly longer than a minute, I believe....
Just like Iraq in 2003, we did not join Europe until we were invited.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quote:
There was a huge pacifist movement in the US at the time. Roosvelt couldn't do much until Pearl Harbor.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
After we lost most of our fleet at Pearl Harbor, we got the message.

Imagine what would have happened had Roosevelt attacked Japan pre-emptively.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
There was a huge pacifist movement in the US at the time. Roosvelt couldn't do much until Pearl Harbor.
Well that PLUS we were having togear up a war machine [we did not have a SecWar that felt that we could just go to war with the Army we had - he was striving for the Army we needed]. Note that many of our capital ships were started in 39-41 and airplane production had started before we were pushed on 12/7.

On a related subject, the troops are finally getting Cougars in Iraq, 4 years late. These are the vehicles that the commanders and SecDef and visiting Senators get to use for protection from IEDs.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Well that PLUS we were having togear up a war machine [we did not have a SecWar that felt that we could just go to war with the Army we had - he was striving for the Army we needed]. Note that many of our capital ships were started in 39-41 and airplane production had started before we were pushed on 12/7.

There was also a small and vocal movement that supported the Nazis. you know the type: Everything that was wrong in America was due to the Jewish Conspiracy. What was the Treasury Sec's name? Anyway, The Nazis in Europe & America loved scapegoating him and claiming that he held sway over that Jew-loving dupe, Roosevelt.

The Nazi supporters had a great deal of sympathy from many people in the fundamentalist Christian community which was very strong through the teens and twenties. Also, many Catholics, Like Joe Kennedy, were sympathetic to Nazis because of the English rule of Catholic Ireland. Finally, there were many Americans who thought that Germany got a raw deal out of WWI and had every reason to be pissed-off. The strange amalgam of interests sympathetic to Germany was the main reason that Roosevelt was reduced to lying to Congress in order to increase spending for the War Department and Navy and for enlarging the draft and for increasing Lend-Lease. Lucky for Roosevelt his Democrat Party held Congress as no doubt, the Republicans would have held all sorts of debilitating hearings to keep us out of an unpopular war.

B
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Bot, sounds like good reasons to make religions illegal, or, as you said elsewhere, justification for undermining them at every turn. Jim
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
After we lost most of our fleet at Pearl Harbor, we got the message.

Imagine what would have happened had Roosevelt attacked Japan pre-emptively.
I think if you want to start the "imagine this!" game, we might try to imagine all kinds of BS. Lets imagine they didn't attack and kept their aggressive behavior contained to their corner of the world.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in