BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
What if it's a bear you don't know?
Bears, by past behavior, have earned respect.

Buzzards and goldfish have not. They have earned interest and kind thoughts, perhaps. There is undoubtedly somebody who loves buzzards, Fine with me.

None of them are due courtesy, which is a distinctively human function.

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Respect this:

Consider one British parent, Fiona MacKeown, who in November 2007 went on a six-month vacation to Goa, India, with her boyfriend and eight of her nine children by five different fathers, none of whom ever contributed financially for long to the children’s upkeep. (The child left behind—her eldest, at 19—was a drug addict.) She received $50,000 in welfare benefits a year, and doubtless decided—quite rationally, under the circumstances—that the money would go further, and that life would thus be more agreeable, in Goa than in her native Devon.

Reaching Goa, MacKeown soon decided to travel with seven of her children to Kerala, leaving behind one of them, 15-year-old Scarlett Keeling, to live with a tour guide ten years her elder, whom the mother had known for only a short time. Scarlett reportedly claimed to have had sex with this man only because she needed a roof over her head. According to a witness, she was constantly on drugs; and one night, she went to a bar where she drank a lot and took several different illicit drugs, including LSD, cocaine, and pot. She was seen leaving the bar late, almost certainly intoxicated.

The next morning, her body turned up on a beach. At first, the local police maintained that she had drowned while high, but further examination proved that someone had raped and then forcibly drowned her. So far, three people have been arrested in the investigation, which is continuing.

About a month later, Scarlett’s mother, interviewed by the liberal Sunday newspaper the Observer, expressed surprise at the level of public vituperation aimed at her and her lifestyle in the aftermath of the murder. She agreed that she and her children lived on welfare, but “not by conscious choice,” and she couldn’t see anything wrong with her actions in India apart from a certain naivety in trusting the man in whose care she had left her daughter. Scarlett was always an independent girl, and if she, the mother, could turn the clock back, she would behave exactly the same way again.

Here: Childhood’s End by Theodore Dalrymple, City Journal Summer 2008

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and that’s what I intend to reverse.

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Bears, by past behavior, have earned respect.

Buzzards and goldfish have not. They have earned interest and kind thoughts, perhaps. There is undoubtedly somebody who loves buzzards, Fine with me.

None of them are due courtesy, which is a distinctively human function.
I agree, they have. OTOH, bears are individuals, displaying a wonderful and fascinating diversity of behavioral characteristics, based on sex, age, mood, appetite, experience, personality, etc. Until you know what you're dealing with, best to show as much respect and as little fear as possible. The same is true of humans we might encounter "in the wild", and there is my argument, nicely wrapped and presented as a simple analogy.

Of course, the other side of that coin is the bear's attitude toward you, which might well be just as shaped by past experience as yours. Let's hope that experience taught him some respect as well.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 01:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
^ Perhaps you can elaborate on the difference. Here is a real live dictionary definition:

cour·te·sy
1. excellence of manners or social conduct; polite behavior.
2. a courteous, respectful, or considerate act or expression.

Note the use of the word "respectful". IMO, courtesy is a form of respect, more times than not.
Note the first entry which refers to a purely trained response to other human beings in a social situation. Not sure where your confusion lies but surely you can understand it is possible to be courteous yet disrespectful at the same time.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 04:25 AM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2015 ML 400
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
now I'm just being bad..

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfun View Post
Note the first entry which refers to a purely trained response to other human beings in a social situation. Not sure where your confusion lies but surely you can understand it is possible to be courteous yet disrespectful at the same time.
Yes it is, which is why I added "more times than not". Courtesy can be genuine or pretentious. There is no respect in pretentiousness.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Yes it is, which is why I added "more times than not". Courtesy can be genuine or pretentious. There is no respect in pretentiousness.
It isn't courtesy if it is pretentious. That's what we call, "hypocritical".

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

I was thinking more along the lines of "catty", as per example below.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colasź & Moon Piesź

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
...and the Zeitgeist takes another hit. Why y'all gotta hate on him?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colasź & Moon Piesź

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of "catty", as per example below.
Ooo. I could give you SUCH a pinch when you do that.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in