Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well, we will just have to wait and see now. Won't we. I think he is done, and I have a fork ready with his name on it.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Is it over yet? He is an embarrassment. He is either senile or lying, and from the looks of things, he does't appear senile. Everyone and it seems that is EVERYONE else, including Bush, can recall conversations and meetings with Gonzales about the subject. He is just a disappointment and embarrassment. Jim
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WASHINGTON - President Bush gave embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales a strong vote of confidence on Monday despite scant support and scathing criticism from key Republicans.

"This is an honest, honorable man, in whom I have confidence," Bush said.
The president said that Gonzales' testimony before skeptical Judiciary Committee senators last week "increased my confidence" in his ability to lead the Justice Department. Separately, a White House spokeswoman said, "He's staying."
Gonzales has been under fire for what the White House acknowledges was his poor handling of the firing of eight federal prosecutors. He claimed dozens of times at last week's hearing that he couldn't recall key details about the prosecutors' firings or about a key November meeting that documents show he attended.
Bush said that while some senators did not like the way Gonzales answered the questions, he continues to back his attorney general.
"As the hearings went forward, it was clear the attorney general broke no law, there's no wrongdoing," Bush said.
However, key GOP lawmakers continued to raise doubts about Gonzales.
Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) of Pennsylvania, the top Republican on the committee, said Monday that keeping Gonzales as attorney general will be "harmful to the Justice Department because he has lost his credibility."
"When he said that he wasn't involved in discussions or deliberations, and then is contradicted by his three top aides and also by documentary evidence, ... his credibility has been substantially undermined," Specter said in Harrisburg, Pa. "And I think it does hurt the administration, and inevitably it hurts the (Republican) party."
Specter added: "As long as (Gonzales is) the attorney general, I will continue to deal with him, but whatever he has to say I will take with more than a grain of salt."
"All of America saw why so many of us had felt for so long that he shouldn't be attorney general," said Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., a Judiciary committee member and one of Gonzales' most vocal critics. "He was not in command of the facts. He contradicted himself. And he doesn't really appreciate the role of attorney general."
Schumer maintained that Gonzales ought to step down as soon as possible.
Asked whether Gonzales should resign, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (news, bio, voting record), D-Vt., said: "I don't think he can be effective" if he remains in office.
Bush spoke about Gonzales during an Oval Office meeting with Gen. David Petraeus, commander of the Iraq war.
"The attorney general went up and gave a very candid assessment, and answered every question he could possibly answer — honestly answer — in a way that increased my confidence in his ability to do the job," Bush said.
White House deputy press secretary Dana Perino said that, "Now there are some people, granted, that don't support the attorney general. But he has the full confidence of the president. We reserve the right to respectfully disagree with friends of ours on Capitol Hill in this regard."
Acknowledging Gonzales' lack of support in Congress, Perino said the Justice Department has "a huge amount of responsibility outside of any dealings with Capitol Hill."
"I think that it was good to get the hearing over with," she said. "People can take a step back and then either ask follow-up questions or move on."

Bush gives Gonzales vote of confidence - Yahoo! News
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
The President knows what it is like to be under whithering unfair political attack and isn't about to desert a colleague experiencing similar unpleasantness...

Don't believe everything you think
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
The President knows what it is like to be under whithering unfair political attack and isn't about to desert a colleague experiencing similar unpleasantness...
um, coughmikebrowncough

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
um, coughdonrumsfeldcough

OBK #35

post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
...coughcondiricecough.

Don't believe everything you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in