John Edwards: Senator, Narcissist - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
If the debate was on milk subsidies, yes there might be a reason to know what a gallon of milk costs as it enters the debate as a central element concerning policy. Does a presidential candidate have to know what tampons cost too? These kinds of questions are intended to be "gotchas" for purely negative publicity.

While this does go on, and all of you seem fascinated by the prospects of learning such trivia instead of the basic character of the candidates, that does not make it meaningful. That you would like to be entertained by the candidates instead of convinced of their qualifications says a lot about why actors seem to be doing so well in politics these days. But it does this country no good to have a good actor in the President's chair when we need, if I had to choose from that industry, a good screenwriter instead. It is the present script we are suffering from most, not GWB's costs of a hair cut (wonder what that actually is) or knowledge of the cost of foodstuffs he never actually purchases himself.

But, hey all you voters, demand to be entertained by the election process and the candidates, and pick the ones you want to vote for based on whatever criteria you like. It is your priviledge as an American to do so. The process is failing us though, as we are being routinely outsmarted by leaders of two bit, third world countries or terror organizations. I don't find that acceptable and would gladly see the American voter take a much more balanced approach to understanding the viability of candidates for the offices they are running. It surprises me that so many of you approve of the smear tactics, and your rationale - it is ok because it is what it is, or something similarly impotent. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
Workers of America, Unite!

Expropriate the expropriators!

Right Bot?
WTF are you talking about?
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
The right answer to hearing Edwards spends $400 out of his own pocket on a hair cut should be "so fucking what?" The fact that many people rely on this shit to sort out who they will vote for is not an Edwards problem. It is a problem with our citizens and the tactics of smearing used, and apparently with broad endorsement merely because it "is," instead of arguing items of substance in political campaigns. Jim
Favoring idealism at the expense of reality can be a perilous exercise. No matter what you think, haircuts that cost more than many voters' car payments aren't going to win him any votes. I actually think that's pretty 'out there', myself, thought it wouldn't impact my vote. Remember, part of the appeal of Bush was his "average Joe" persona. Now as to why any idiot would prefer an "average Joe" running our country, I really couldn't say. I'd prefer the best and brightest, myself, but there you have it....

What if the guy were a full-out flaming metrosexual ala KamiL. Would that have any impact? It's really the same thing, just a matter of degree, isn't it?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
GS, I am not arguing whether or not it happens (see previous post, first sentence), and given the evidence of Bush's last two Presidential erections that were spun into elections by every device known to Rove including the Supremen Court, it is clear it "works." For those who practice smear tactics. That doesn't mean the path to the Presidency should depend on lazy, uncommitted voters looking for fabricated and/or distorted inputs from the spin masters and press to sort through the candidates.

The right answer to hearing Edwards spends $400 out of his own pocket on a hair cut should be "so fucking what?" The fact that many people rely on this shit to sort out who they will vote for is not an Edwards problem. It is a problem with our citizens and the tactics of smearing used, and apparently with broad endorsement merely because it "is," instead of arguing items of substance in political campaigns. Jim
Absolutely correct!!

He'd better be ready to savage those horrible "Swift Boat Veterans For Truth" immediately, and be willing and ready to
do what it takes to throw them under the bus.

John Kerry didn't and look what happened to his candidacy.

A take no prisoners response a la Feel the Love is warranted if wants to win.

It's about results, and what works. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
A take no prisoners response a la Feel the Love is warranted if wants to win.

It's about results, and what works. ...
My Fuhrer!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
My Fuhrer!
Ja, zum sieg im '08!!! Hail victory!

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
GS,

I am sure Edwards did not make the $400 hair cut public knowledge because he thought it would gain him the confidence of voters "on the fence" about his candidacy. Someone else did to use a trivial bit of nonsense to knock a few of those voters off the fence and not on his side. A smear.

What constituted the $400 charge? Did the hair dresser charge Edwards $400 while he charged $400 to a house full of other customers? Did he have to shut the place down and pay his staff an hour's wage for security reasons while he cut Edward's hair? What does Bush's hair cut cost the taxpayer, after all costs are included? Does anybody really care? This is just more half the story told to stimulate a desired response. It works. Great. Even on you. A smear. Brown babies starting all over again. Swiftboating all over again.

And, if the guy spouted KamiL-Toes politics then yes, if you needed to know he shaved his balls and asshole to not vote for him, I would be glad to tell you, then hope you got caught by some mountain lion and were quickly converted to mountain lion kitty food and then fertilizer. After you voted against KamiL toe.

I could honestly care less if Edwards "haircut" included a scrotum, back and ass shave ($400 would be cheap as I would take your life to do something like that). That is another thing between him and his wife, who would presumably "benefit" from the extra work. Not part of why I would vote for or agaiinst him. But I see how entertained everyone would be and how that would come at the expense of the candidate's campaign. Again, it would be a smear.

There is not much point in arguing this. You guys all like hearing little personally embarrasing or otherwise compromising side show details to torpedo a candidate's campaign. I maintain it is out of laziness and lack of actual interest in the success of the political process we participate in to more or lesser degrees. Hey, the guy gets $400 hair cuts and the voters think that is out of touch with them so he isn't a candidate anymore - another guy in a group of 6 or 7 I no longer have to pay attention to in order to make up my mind. Phew.

Jim
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
^OK -- that was pretty funny -- LOL

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
GS,

I am sure Edwards did not make the $400 hair cut public knowledge because he thought it would gain him the confidence of voters "on the fence" about his candidacy. Someone else did to use a trivial bit of nonsense to knock a few of those voters off the fence and not on his side. A smear.

What constituted the $400 charge? Did the hair dresser charge Edwards $400 while he charged $400 to a house full of other customers? Did he have to shut the place down and pay his staff an hour's wage for security reasons while he cut Edward's hair? What does Bush's hair cut cost the taxpayer, after all costs are included? Does anybody really care? This is just more half the story told to stimulate a desired response. It works. Great. Even on you. A smear. Brown babies starting all over again. Swiftboating all over again.

And, if the guy spouted KamiL-Toes politics then yes, if you needed to know he shaved his balls and asshole to not vote for him, I would be glad to tell you, then hope you got caught by some mountain lion and were quickly converted to mountain lion kitty food and then fertilizer. After you voted against KamiL toe.

I could honestly care less if Edwards "haircut" included a scrotum, back and ass shave ($400 would be cheap as I would take your life to do something like that). That is another thing between him and his wife, who would presumably "benefit" from the extra work. Not part of why I would vote for or agaiinst him. But I see how entertained everyone would be and how that would come at the expense of the candidate's campaign. Again, it would be a smear.

There is not much point in arguing this. You guys all like hearing little personally embarrasing or otherwise compromising side show details to torpedo a candidate's campaign. I maintain it is out of laziness and lack of actual interest in the success of the political process we participate in to more or lesser degrees. Hey, the guy gets $400 hair cuts and the voters think that is out of touch with them so he isn't a candidate anymore - another guy in a group of 6 or 7 I no longer have to pay attention to in order to make up my mind. Phew.

Jim
The "out of touch" ploy worked well for Clinton V Bush #1. Remember the laser scanner that left GHWB slack-jawed in wonder? Clinton's team went into hyperdrive spinning that one. At least the laser scanner and haircut have the merit of being factual.

That's an awful lot better than the rumor-mongering plausible deniability game that is sure to come with this many weak candidates trying to keep their noses above water.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Seems the 400 USD haircuts do not impress the small city barbers......

Q-C barbers call Edwards' $400 haircut 'impossible'

By Bill Wundram | Thursday, April 19, 2007
3 comment(s) | Rate this article | Default | Large
Quad-City barbers put down their shears and sputtered words like “preposterous” and “impossible” Wednesday when they heard of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards spending $400 for a haircut. In the Quad-Cities, $10 or $12 is about average.
“If I charged $400 for a haircut, they’d come after me with white coats,” said Leo Fier, who has been cutting hair for 49 years at his shop in DeWitt, Iowa.

Edwards’ campaign committee filed a financial report with the Federal Election Commission noting that the White House hopeful paid $400 for haircuts in California and New Hampshire, and $248 for salon services in Dubuque, Iowa.

“That’s impossible, $400,” said Don “Dutchman” Braafhart, who runs Dutchman’s Barbershop in Davenport.

Next time he’s in town, Edwards would get a real bargain at Davenport Barber College, where supervised student barbers charge only $7.50.

Even some Quad-Citians who allow their locks to grow long are shocked by a $400 haircut.

“My Santa Claus long hair is my trademark,” said Terry Lunardi, Davenport restaurateur. “I just had my hair cut Monday for $10. And I have a lot of hair to cut.”

Kurt Ullrich, a Scott County deputy auditor whose hair runs long, said, “Edwards and I are of a similar age and I took note of his hair when I visited briefly with him in Davenport. His hair is thick, full and beautifully coiffed, whereas mine is counter-culture long. Sixteen dollars is the most I’ve ever paid for a haircut.”

There are a few Quad-City shops that rise above the $10 average. A man’s haircut may range from $18 to $42 at some specialty salons. Operators at two of those shops said they would welcome Edwards, and not charge his campaign $400.

A barbaric price for cutting hair may not be unusual. Jay Ledford, who runs Cut Rite, Moline, with his dad, Jay Sr., insists that a number of years ago, President Clinton had his hair cut in Davenport. “I can’t remember the barber, but he only charged him $150,” Ledford said.

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2007...2920813459.txt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in