Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by MBZ300CD
Mostly "grill" not BBQ, but my wife and I have for the last 20 years or so, slow roasted our Thanksgiving turkey on the grill, with mesquite or hickory chips. We stuff it with apples and oranges and baste it with fruit juice.
I started grilling turkeys three years ago, using a recipe I found on Epicurious. The secret to grilled poultry is really in the brining. If anyone hasn't tried to brine either turkey or pork loin before grilling, you absolutely must.

Best turkey I've ever eaten in my life. I freakin' love Thanksgiving - we go nuts with the menu. I usually have ribs grilled as well, since they don't take quite as long as other meats, as an appetizer.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: Amethyst 2001 C320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by drewprof
I connect my turkey to my dryer's 220V supply and watch it cook in no time.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by n0alpha
This one takes about 5 hours to make:

Boil ribs, then let 'em sit in barbecue sauce that's been specially mixed with a 12 pack of Pyramid ale for a couple hours. Then put them on a charcoal grill for slow cookin', and baste with more sauce.

The meat will literally slide off the bone, and it's deeelicious!
Two interesting points on this front - par boiling the ribs is a practice employed off-and-on, seems to depend where in the USA or in the world you are.

What makes ribs (or pork for that matter) 'slide off the bone', or in the case of pulled pork/Boston butt, become exceptionally tender, is a combination of cooking time & temperature.

When pork reaches about 190 degrees Fahrenheit, the fat and connecting tissues within the meat start melting. The tissue actually turns to gelatin I think at that temperature. The longer the meat stays at 190+, the more time this process has to work.

I'll bring a Boston butt up to about 180 on the grill, then wrap in foil - most of it's inner juices haven't melted yet - and transfer to an oven at 300 degrees F. I'll keep my thermometer in it, waiting for it to hit 200 degrees. From there, I can turn off the oven and let the residual heat finish it off. Once off the heat, it should rest about an hour (still wrapped) before you try to pull it, but it should come apart very easy - you don't even need thumbs if you did it right.

Another thing you can't get from propane is the 'smoke ring'. Good BBQ usually has a deep crimson ring, somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" thick, visible when you cut through the meat on a bias (counter to the grain). You'll even see it on chicken a little...on turkey too. Pork and brisket show it very prominently.

To get a smoke ring, you have to cook the meat over charcoal, with the lid closed. It's a combination of the charcoal and a lack of oxygen that causes a chemical reaction with the meat, resulting in the smoke ring. You can even get it to show up on hamburgers if you do it right. The smoke ring is natures way of saying "You're in for a treat."
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I currently hold the North and South American, European, Asian, Australian and African licensing rights for Feel the Love's Fine BBQ Accessories.

Here's an example of one of our best selling products...a big hit with the ladies!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You got some stiff competition because I have something just like that
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
after much deliberation several years ago, I settled for a Napoleon Grill that can cook both with gas and charcoal.

In fact, the charcoal tray insert for the grill is so versatile that instead of wood chips, I can smoke big chunks of meat using wood blocks for sloooooow smoking (6hrs ++ ).

I swear by beer can chicken

Also, I have a rotisserie so I use that for plum glazed duck and leg of lamb with lemon garlic and rosemary.

Since the purchase of the grill, our kithcen has required very little cleaning - I'd say I use the grill on average 4 nights a week including winter (turns out to be the best time for smoking since the ambient temperatures are low so that one can achieve temperature as low as 140F for slow and thorough smoking).

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
worst mod in BW history
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Oh, and greetings from Sayre Oklahoma.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: And what was left was what was guilt was what u gave to me
Location: A cavalcade of strangers came to tear ur world apart
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I go to a restaurant and write it off.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tulsa is Southwestern?

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Zedd
Tulsa is Southwestern?

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Zedd, please do not pick on the Qman too much he knows he lives in the States somewhere but just not sure where his camper is parked sometimes. He goes to sleep in the back and his brother drives it over to another part of the country. Besides God said do not pick on the feeble minded or children, he qualifies as both so please have a heart and go easy on Mr. Bar-B-Q.

Last edited by Jakarta Expat; 04-18-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: