Twenty two Killed at UVA!? - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
I'm going to have to disagree ALL the information I'm getting here states that in Virginia atleast there are no restrictions at all. I know there is media spin but even so I don't think it's that skewed.
Clearly you can think as you like, but I have a book in my hand as I write this, the book has all the Federal and State laws in it, and it is published by the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives), the book is about 3/4" thick and let me assure you that Virginia is well represented in there.
Quote:
Also if you read my posts I'm not blaming guns at all. Thats simply another out there argument that anyone who advocates control must be anti gun and a mate of Ted Kennedy. Also even if you do have background checks licencing really is the only way to be effective as far as weeding out the loons is concerned. The fact of the matter still remains that no matter how well armed your population is with all sorts of weapons gun crime is still so high in the US not because of the amount of guns that are there but because of the lax laws and the cavalier attitude of people like you towards firearms in general.
So I have a cavalier attitude attitude towards firearms? Interesting comment coming from someone that obviously doesn't know me. You might be interested to know that I teach firearms safety at the local firearms range on a quarterly basis, and that I have been heavily involved with firearms since 1961, and never had an accident or firearms safety violation.
As to licensing, I do happen to have a licence, I said so a while back, but here in the States we are opposed to licensing because of what has happened in the UK and Austrailia not too long ago, you know the time when the government took all the auto loading guns away from those that were not deemed worthy of owning these dangerous weapons.......even the .22 rimfire rifles that kids use to pop cans at 50 yards or so. That will not be allowed to happen here thank you very much......... That's why the Second Amendment to the Constitution was written to protect us from the Government and what they could try and do to the people.
Quote:
I could not imagine anything worse than every person being armed, if everyone is armed I'd argue that rather than reduce gun crime it would increase as people use firearms more and more where usually an argument or a fist fight would erupt.
You can argue that all you want, but there are at least two towns in this country that REQUIRE that you own a gun if you live there, they have the lowest crime rates in the country..... The bad guys do not want to take the chance on a break in in those towns because the law MIGHT not get there in time to save their sorry butts from the homeowners.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
lol hui
how big is yours?

Seriously, I am thinking of packing:
pack my belonging and get another job
Do you speak Russian?

Why are you interested in size? unless you are an attractive young female, you are not my type
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
I could not imagine anything worse than every person being armed, if everyone is armed I'd argue that rather than reduce gun crime it would increase as people use firearms more and more where usually an argument or a fist fight would erupt.
It is well established that the U.S. West during the mid to late 19th century was the most peaceful, law-abiding place and time in the history of our country.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
FTL, look on Drudge, too many stories now out there including Newsweek saying the serial numbers have been screwed with. I believe it, this kid had a few screws loose, read the story on Drudge about his creative writing class at VT.
Well then, what you have are legally purchased guns with the serial numbers ground off. So much of the idea of "back alley guns". Why bother with a back alley when you can go to a gun show. If this nut was aware of the "gun show loophole" he would not have even had to that and still could have bought them perfectly legal. Our gun laws are swiss cheese because of the far right wing gun nuts. Private sales, exempt dealers at gun shows, buy all the unregistered guns you want, perfectly legal. Is this a great country or what?
post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine_coon
It was propably a receipt for the different gun purchase. Receipts are not issued for the guns with no serial numbers AFAIK.

You definitely should participate in the arm's race.

I suggest Uzi or even better, AKM-47.

"Professor" is becaming one of the most dangerous occupations.

Why would you want to buy it from the back alley?

---------------------------------------------

OK, killer's last name was Hui.

Those of you who speak Russian know what it means in Russian.
An interesting side note, a few years here in Houston a man dropped his heater in a resturant, causing it to accidently discharge. The ensuing gun battle killed six people, some of whom were sitting at the same table and began shooting each ohter.
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Well then, what you have are legally purchased guns with the serial numbers ground off. So much of the idea of "back alley guns". Why bother with a back alley when you can go to a gun show. If this nut was aware of the "gun show loophole" he would not have even had to that and still could have bought them perfectly legal. Our gun laws are swiss cheese because of the far right wing gun nuts. Private sales, exempt dealers at gun shows, buy all the unregistered guns you want, perfectly legal. Is this a great country or what?
There are two things I take issue with in your post:
( 1 ) Once the serial numbers are screwed with, the guns become an illegal quantity. The guy had illegal guns no matter how you look at it.
( 2 ) Just exactly what gun show loophole are you talking about. Dealers have to follow the letter of the law no matter where they sell their guns. There is NO gun show loophole, no matter how much you and the liberal press like to tout that there is.........
Private sales from one individual to another are not regulated in many states, but there are some states that require even private sales to be handled through the State Police, and they generally require a background check through the FBI, NICS, or State Police.
I find it interesting that all of this crap is coming from someone who has already admitted to flaunting the law and stated that he carries a loaded weapon routinely as he crosses State lines.
Point of interest:
Virginia code18.2-308.1
Possesion of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
An interesting side note, a few years here in Houston a man dropped his heater in a resturant, causing it to accidently discharge. The ensuing gun battle killed six people, some of whom were sitting at the same table and began shooting each ohter.
I'm sure these were fine upstanding citizens much like yourself.

Vladimir Putin

Paul Harvey 8/31/94

Justice Clarence Thomas
post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Anybody have a clue as to how old this kid was?

Vladimir Putin

Paul Harvey 8/31/94

Justice Clarence Thomas
post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 1995 S500
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well cnn says he was 23 and going for an English major.
From CNN: Shop owner: Virginia Tech shooter bought gun for $571 - CNN.com

++++++
BLACKSBURG, Virginia (CNN) -- The student who killed 33 people Monday at Virginia Tech paid $571 for a 9 mm Glock 19 pistol just over a month ago, the owner of Roanoke Firearms told CNN Tuesday.
A fellow student said the 23-year-old English major had written two plays so "twisted" that his classmates suspected he might become a school shooter.

Ian McFarlane, who said he had class with Cho, called the plays "very graphic" and "extremely disturbing."
"It was like something out of a nightmare," McFarlane wrote in a blog. "The plays had really twisted, macabre violence that used weapons I wouldn't have even thought of.

"Before Cho got to class that day, we students were talking to each other with serious worry about whether he could be a school shooter."
The official did not provide details about the writings, which first came to the attention of faculty in the English department, but said they were passed on to the department chairwoman and university administrators.
++++++

We had a couple of kids similar in high school. One threatened with a bomb, which the police came searched his locker and sent him to some next school. The other took her life by jumping in front of a subway. The saddest thing about the girl is that she was getting help via school counsellors and tried to make friends but everyone shunted her and after the suicide everyone pretended to be her friend.

Last edited by kutz; 04-17-2007 at 03:43 PM.
post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Press conference - guns were acquired legally. Nothing said about ground off serial numbers. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in