150 Graduates of Pat Robertson's College in Bush Administration - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
150 Graduates of Pat Robertson's College in Bush Administration

In 1981, Gary North, a leader of the Christian Reconstructionist movement — the openly theocratic wing of the Christian right — suggested that the movement could achieve power by stealth. “Christians must begin to organize politically within the present party structure,” he wrote, “and they must begin to infiltrate the existing institutional order.”

Today, Regent University, founded by the televangelist Pat Robertson to provide “Christian leadership to change the world,” boasts that it has 150 graduates working in the Bush administration.

Unfortunately for the image of the school, where Mr. Robertson is chancellor and president, the most famous of those graduates is Monica Goodling, a product of the university’s law school. She’s the former top aide to Alberto Gonzales who appears central to the scandal of the fired U.S. attorneys and has declared that she will take the Fifth rather than testify to Congress on the matter.

The infiltration of the federal government by large numbers of people seeking to impose a religious agenda — which is very different from simply being people of faith — is one of the most important stories of the last six years. It’s also a story that tends to go underreported, perhaps because journalists are afraid of sounding like conspiracy theorists.

But this conspiracy is no theory. The official platform of the Texas Republican Party pledges to “dispel the myth of the separation of church and state.” And the Texas Republicans now running the country are doing their best to fulfill that pledge.

Kay Cole James, who had extensive connections to the religious right and was the dean of Regent’s government school, was the federal government’s chief personnel officer from 2001 to 2005. (Curious fact: she then took a job with Mitchell Wade, the businessman who bribed Representative Randy “Duke” Cunningham.) And it’s clear that unqualified people were hired throughout the administration because of their religious connections.

For example, The Boston Globe reports on one Regent law school graduate who was interviewed by the Justice Department’s civil rights division. Asked what Supreme Court decision of the past 20 years he most disagreed with, he named the decision to strike down a Texas anti-sodomy law. When he was hired, it was his only job offer.

Or consider George Deutsch, the presidential appointee at NASA who told a Web site designer to add the word “theory” after every mention of the Big Bang, to leave open the possibility of “intelligent design by a creator.” He turned out not to have, as he claimed, a degree from Texas A&M.

One measure of just how many Bushies were appointed to promote a religious agenda is how often a Christian right connection surfaces when we learn about a Bush administration scandal.

There’s Ms. Goodling, of course. But did you know that Rachel Paulose, the U.S. attorney in Minnesota — three of whose deputies recently stepped down, reportedly in protest over her management style — is, according to a local news report, in the habit of quoting Bible verses in the office?

Or there’s the case of Claude Allen, the presidential aide and former deputy secretary of health and human services, who stepped down after being investigated for petty theft. Most press reports, though they mentioned Mr. Allen’s faith, failed to convey the fact that he built his career as a man of the hard-line Christian right.

And there’s another thing most reporting fails to convey: the sheer extremism of these people.

You see, Regent isn’t a religious university the way Loyola or Yeshiva are religious universities. It’s run by someone whose first reaction to 9/11 was to brand it God’s punishment for America’s sins.

Two days after the terrorist attacks, Mr. Robertson held a conversation with Jerry Falwell on Mr. Robertson’s TV show “The 700 Club.” Mr. Falwell laid blame for the attack at the feet of “the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians,” not to mention the A.C.L.U. and People for the American Way. “Well, I totally concur,” said Mr. Robertson.

The Bush administration’s implosion clearly represents a setback for the Christian right’s strategy of infiltration. But it would be wildly premature to declare the danger over. This is a movement that has shown great resilience over the years. It will surely find new champions.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 AM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
^Helps explain the lack of reality on the part of W. Co.
Shane is offline  
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Bruce R.'s Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 14,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
So you have something against the Bible?

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94


"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Bruce R. is offline  
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a thing against a cadre of organized Apocalyptic kooks infiltrating the government.
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I agree. We need to have a government purity test so that only the right kind of people get in. We'll let the DNC write the test as they are the keepers of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
Botnst is offline  
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Actually, we simply need to let the Constitution work. Correct oversight by Congress, something the Bridge-To-Nowhere Congress refused to do as they swept six years of fraud, war crimes and criminal activity under the rug because they were busy trying to get free golf trips and blow jobs from page boys, is now being done. We the people now know that a cadre of people who think the world is about to end and who endorse far right wing extremsts positions are running the government. We know one of them is such a fine Christian she is taking the Fifth Amendment in what is looking like a criminal conspiracy to manipulate the next election by placing prosecutors who will push phony voter fraud cases in swing states, and we know others are in charge of family planning policies and scientific boards where they will try to do things the majority of the people in this country do not want. Knowledge is so refreshing.

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 04-16-2007 at 06:57 AM.
FeelTheLove is offline  
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Actually, we simply need to let the Constitution work. Correct oversight by Congress, something the Bridge-To-Nowhere Congress refused to do as they swept six years of fraud, war crimes and criminal activity under the rug because they were busy trying to get free golf trips and blow jobs from page boys, is now being done. We the people now know that a cadre of people who think the world is about to end and who endorse far right wing extremsts positions are running the government. We know one of them is such a fine Christian she is taking the Fifth Amendment in what is looking like a criminal conspiracy to manipulate the next election by placing prosecutors who will push phony voter fraud cases in swing states, and we know others are in charge of family planning policies and scientific boards where they will try to do things the majority of the people in this country do not want. Knowledge is so refreshing.
You seem unable to grasp the accepted concept that 'politician' is synonymous with 'crook'.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
cmitch is offline  
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I agree. We need to have a government purity test so that only the right kind of people get in. We'll let the DNC write the test as they are the keepers of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
How about we just have a check of credentials and look for people who have demonstrated competence for the jobs they are selected to fill, instead of selecting them based on cronyism and idealogical loyalism that has no bearing on job responsibilities? At some point the substitution of this cronyism and poltical pandering to the "religious right" (odd concept, people supposedly driven by Christian virtues are for sale for a chance to run some government agency into the ground) for actual job skills needed to head these agencies or fill these decision making roles has to be questioned. The time was in 2001, but the Legislative Branch was busy playing Rover, and rolling over for everything this adminstration asked for, including the opportunity to fill the government with unqualified people in leadership positions. The change of 2006 has revealed just how lazy and incompetent this administration is, along with the disdain they have for the US Constitution. This thread is just identifying another symptom. I can imagine how the Republicans would react to a finding 150 graduates of some quasi-recognized law school run by, and attended by, fanatical socialists and communists. I bet your remarks would be a little less aloof, Bot.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,915
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I agree. We need to have a government purity test so that only the right kind of people get in. We'll let the DNC write the test as they are the keepers of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
That appears to be in place already, in case you haven't noticed. Did you read the article? 'Appalling' doesn't even begin to cover it...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
How about we just have a check of credentials and look for people who have demonstrated competence for the jobs they are selected to fill, instead of selecting them based on cronyism and idealogical loyalism that has no bearing on job responsibilities? At some point the substitution of this cronyism and poltical pandering to the "religious right" (odd concept, people supposedly driven by Christian virtues are for sale for a chance to run some government agency into the ground) for actual job skills needed to head these agencies or fill these decision making roles has to be questioned. The time was in 2001, but the Legislative Branch was busy playing Rover, and rolling over for everything this adminstration asked for, including the opportunity to fill the government with unqualified people in leadership positions. The change of 2006 has revealed just how lazy and incompetent this administration is, along with the disdain they have for the US Constitution. This thread is just identifying another symptom. I can imagine how the Republicans would react to a finding 150 graduates of some quasi-recognized law school run by, and attended by, fanatical socialists and communists. I bet your remarks would be a little less aloof, Bot.

Jim
Oh, a competency test! maybe Congress could write it. Think of the wonderful results of that exersize!
Botnst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Bush Breaks 150-Year History of Higher U.S. Taxes in Wartime, Long Live the Hero Bush Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 26 01-16-2007 05:30 PM
    NK Controlling The Bush Administration? JimSmith Off-Topic 10 10-19-2006 08:44 AM
    Bush administration is not hypocritical 430 Off-Topic 8 12-29-2005 02:47 PM
    Criminality is at the heart of the Bush Administration FeelTheLove Off-Topic 23 11-10-2005 08:15 AM
    Bush calls Pat Robertson a Liar FeelTheLove Off-Topic 33 10-23-2004 09:26 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome