150 Graduates of Pat Robertson's College in Bush Administration - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
"Morality" is being prached as a policy matter, get real!
Even the president said that he is a tool of God. I feel like we are already back in the crussades yo
The word is: God and country in that order. I feel peachy
All believers are tools of God, by definition. by your argument, George Dubyuh I (Washington) would have been unqualified.

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
And it was a good ruling, even though the amendment restricts only Congress from making laws, clearly the intention was to not have a national religion. I think it is a bit of a reach, though, to go after symbols of a heritage/history as having the same significance as legislation/laws towards having that national religion. People and/or groups that target those symbols need something more productive to do, and it is one of those things they do to rile up the extremists on the other side.
I would agree except that many of the current batch of religious leaders, with their congregations and media have become PACs and are trying to legislate their particular form of religion into law.

So I think that people are going after the PAC aspect of the Robertson/Falwell/NeoCon types much like one would fight either the NRA or Handgun Control, depending on your views on that subject.

I think that follows with what you posted.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I would agree except that many of the current batch of religious leaders, with their congregations and media have become PACs and are trying to legislate their particular form of religion into law.

So I think that people are going after the PAC aspect of the Robertson/Falwell/NeoCon types much like one would fight either the NRA or Handgun Control, depending on your views on that subject.

I think that follows with what you posted.
It does, but there's plenty of other PAC's/groups with other viewpoints, nothing you can do about them or their attempt to influence policy. The constitution prevents the establishment of a national religion, but morality can be legislated if you can pass it. Don't think it'll happen, though, because the middle tends to ignore both extremes on trivial pursuits. I think the extreme left would do themselves a favor if they left the pictures of the 10 Commandments alone, cause that tends to become a rallying cry whether won or lost. Don't think that'll happen either.

Always remember, for every Pat Robertson, there's an FTL . . .

post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
Damn good question ! It would appear that the liberal take on the Constitution is that there can not be any religion in or near any Government operation.....:
Of course there cannot be, you damn fool. It's the law. There can be no religion in government. I have no idea what you mean by "near" government, but that's ok, because neither do you.
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Another take, from AssociatedContent

From AssociatedContent

Some have accused the Bush Administration of being far too cozy with the religious right and the agenda of dominion that they ascribe to. Others have reacted that the accusations are unfounded. The fact that the Bush Administration has 150 graduates of Pat Robertson's low rated and just recently accredited law school might suggest the former. This revelation isn't news to the faithful, it is even on the Regent University website. It is news to those of us concerned that the Bush Administration is in bed with the far right of the religious base. You know, the same 30% that for some unexplainable reason still think Mr. Bush is doing a good job. You know, the group who likely believes that the occupation of Iraq is just going great. I suppose if you think that the earth was created in six days or that it's only 6,000 years old, or that two of all the animals on earth once rode on a wooden boat, the Bush Presidency being a success isn't such a stretch.

The school was founded in 1986 as the CBN University Law School. The American Bar Association (ABA) denied accreditation in 1987. It gave the school provisional accreditation in 1989. Full accreditation by the ABA didn't occur until 1996.

The fact that 150 grads of the illustrious Regent law school being in the Bush Administration came to widespread light because of Monica Goodling. The Regent grad 1999 quit the Justice Department last week. Just a few days after she had refused to testify before Congress by pleading the Fifth Amendment. She had virtually no prosecutor experience before landing a job at the top levels of the Justice Department. She served as Justice liaison for the White House and was deeply involved with evaluating the nation's federal prosecutors. It is the handling of the firings of several prosecutors which has led to the controversy that will most likely cost Attorney General Alberto Gonzales his job.

The law school at Regent University was once ranked in the lowest tier by U.S. News and World Reports college survey. On its own website's admissions page, Regent states that it seeks to admit "students who are serious about the critical roles they will assume as future counselors, conciliators, defenders of the faith, effective client advocates and followers of Christ." Later it adds "Regent Law seeks men and women who are dedicated to becoming Christian leaders who will change the world for Christ." I would think that a law school might say that it hopes its students become good interpreters of the law, or defenders of the Constitution, or something along those lines. But the Princeton Review did at one time rank the school second in the nation in the likelihood that graduates would receive a fellowship at a conservative think tank!

The website of Regent Law tells of an upcoming symposium to "Celebrate 400th anniversary of Jamestown settlement." A keynote speaker is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Virginia. Another is Deputy U.S. Attorney General Paul McNulty. Topics include "Liberty, the Rule of Rule of Law, and religion today." I doubt they will be discussing the need for a separation of church and state.

Regent is a televangelist founded school, started by the infamous Pat Robertson. The idea is for graduates to be the agents of change in America. They think of the big issues are abortion, stem cell research, and gay marriage. Driving an agenda instead of focusing on the law. They are training people to make arguments based on the bible to push the far right agenda of hate, exclusion and corporate war for god and country.

One of the faculty support pages on website quotes Ephesians 6, 6-7 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of god from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the lord, not men. Good advice for a preacher, not so much for government lawyers. So, is the Bush Administration hiring the best legal minds the country can offer, or attorneys that can help with the Christo-Fascist agenda?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
All believers are tools of God, by definition. by your argument, George Dubyuh I (Washington) would have been unqualified.

B
Sorry but George Washington put country first or am I mistaken?
post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof
Sorry but George Washington put country first or am I mistaken?
Damned if I know. He was sort of a weak C of E but professed a sincere belief in his deity, often opining about it's importance in civil society. His "Farwell Address" for example.

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Boring Cars...meh!

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 81 280E, 84 500SEC, 87 560, 89 "300E", 91 500SL, 15 E350 4Matic Estate, 71 BMW 2002, +others
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
I have to wonder if you have ever read ANY part of the Constitution my weak minded friend....... You CAN read can't you?
Just in case you don't know what the Constitution is, I'll paraphrase a bit for you....
The Constitution DOES NOT say that there has to BE a separation of Church and State (that would be State in the singular, NOT plural) it says the State will not SPONSER any religion. The Constitution of the United States was written by reasonably religious slave owning men that tended to believe in a greater being you MORON. If you haven’t a clue it’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt…… (Another bit of paraphrase.)
Edited above

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c328/nutz4benz/W123/6C3A9CA5-EDFF-4834-8125-34B70B20A676_zpsiyesrawz.jpg
post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:35 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Damned if I know. He was sort of a weak C of E but professed a sincere belief in his deity, often opining about it's importance in civil society. His "Farwell Address" for example.

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."
Is this where you draw you inspiration for the upcoming crusade?
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:36 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't you just love Bruce R calls everybody a fool? He must not have any mirror in his house.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in