post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 82 300D VNT, 80 240D 3.0T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyc280
hahaha, give me a break dude. Boo hoo hoo.
Seriously, it's hard to be the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0alpha
You've just successfully proven my point, that there is a double standard. And it's wrong.

In fact, in this day and age it's harder to be a straight, white, male, than any other sexual orientation, race, or gender combination. Need proof? Just look at all of the origanizations out there that aim to give priveleges to homosexuals, blacks, Asians, women, etc

If a group of straight white males start an organization on a college campus in order to socialize with other people of their kind, it is met with fierce opposition and claims that they are "homphobic", "bigoted", and "racist". However a plethora of homosexual, black, Asian, and women's rights groups prosper and their existence is highly celebrated.

Yup, that's a double standard.
Well as a 50+ straight white male, I think I have had it pretty good. I have been able to reap many of the rewards that this society has to offer. I have never once had to think about being turned down for anything because of my race, ethnic background or sex. I have never had a glass ceiling to look up at.

I have, on the other hand grown up at a time where there were still three restrooms at many gas stations: Men, Women and Colored. I was a Cadet at the US Air Force Academy during the first year women were allowed into the Academy [1976]. I went to public schools before integration and remember that, at nearly every instance the public school for the black kids was not nearly as nice as the ones for the white kids.

I have watched peers who were gay be fired because a co-worker was “uncomfortable” with the gay person in the office. And I still see many examples, when I am in a corporate environment some men are only described as “the gay guy” with snide comments or “the black guy” or where women are described by the size of their tits. Little has changed.

So if folks have organizations where they can figure out how to work out issues of discrimination or determine what to do about a specific problem, GREAT. Is it a Double Standard? Not in this lifetime.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
~BANNED~

Oh, hell.
Now Rev. Jackson is calling for MSNBC to hire a black person to fill Imus's time spot to create "more diversity".
post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
^^^Is that really true? I didn't even know who this Don Imus was, but the Sharpton/Jackson crew ought to apologize to the Duke Lacrosse players instead, don't you think?

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas & Moon Pies

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
If a group of straight white males start an organization on a college campus in order to socialize with other people of their kind, it is met with fierce opposition and claims that they are "homphobic", "bigoted", and "racist".
Straight white males already have the largest organization ever designed to socialize (and benefit) people of their own kind. It's called 'Western Civilization'.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:44 AM

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: Amethyst 2001 C320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Straight white males already have the largest organization ever designed to socialize (and benefit) people of their own kind. It's called 'Western Civilization'.
Oh really? I challenge you to start such an organization on a college campus. Apparently you have no idea, and you're definitely not a straight white male so you have no experience in this arena.

Your ignorance baffles me.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Your ignorance baffles me.
I should say the same for you if you don't understand his statement.
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1997 S320 LWB
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedd
Oh, hell.
Now Rev. Jackson is calling for MSNBC to hire a black person to fill Imus's time spot to create "more diversity".
And of course the whites should not protest this?. We should just sit back and bite our tongues cause it would be politically incorrect to say anything about a black person?. This is bullshit, so now MSNBC should put a black person there just because he is black and not more qualified?. I'm ready to throw up. Well since Jackson is calling for a black person to fill Imu's shoes, would it be ok if we could make a new cable station that caters to only whites?. You know, like BET (Black Entertainment Channel)?.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:20 AM
~BANNED~

You want racist words in the media? See the Western Show "BOSS NIGGER."
Today's hate crimes!
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 430
I see we are back to the old double standard. It is not ok for Imus to say "Nappy headed ho's". But it is ok for people like Sharpton and Jackson to make all sorts of comments about the innocent Duke Lacross team, e.g. "we know they are guilty", "we know something happened here", "It is the rich, white people covering up", etc.

You know I have never been an Imus fan but after this witch hunt I am ready to start listening to him.
I find Sharpton et al just as offensive, but Mr. Sharpton is not a multi-million dollar a year talk show host who is backed up by General Motors, Procter and Gamble, and a host of other Fortune 100 companies. Sharpton has no one paying him for his soap box except for the people that want to hear his crap. Imus does. He lost his advertisers as a result of his insane comments. Tough shit on the consequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in