Global Cooling Obviously Taking Hold - Page 19 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
If a system is in static equilibrium there is no force acting on it. If it is dynamic then there is at least 1 force acting on it. If there are multiple potential sources affecting the system, we may call them factors. As those potential factors shift to dynamic factors then they are forcing factors.

Are you with me?

B
I think I know what you are saying, but it seems to me you are making way too much out of good ol' Mother Nature. Face it bot, there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood. And trying to pretend that we do is just plain silly, IMO.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 AM
~BANNED~
 
Jakarta Expat's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 17,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Face it bot, there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood. And trying to pretend that we do is just plain silly, IMO.

With that said many of us can stop trying to understand your stances on politics, the economy and yourself. Thanks for clearing that up..........
Jakarta Expat is offline  
post #183 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think I know what you are saying, but it seems to me you are making way too much out of good ol' Mother Nature. Face it bot, there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood. And trying to pretend that we do is just plain silly, IMO.
JH, not everything is a political argument. Sometimes we can discuss things as they are because they are.

You make an interesting assertion, "...there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood." Is that precisely what you meant?

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #184 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
JH, not everything is a political argument. Sometimes we can discuss things as they are because they are.

You make an interesting assertion, "...there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood." Is that precisely what you meant?

B
"...political argument"? Where did that come from? Perhaps it is you who are thinking too politically... I had nothing political in mind when I said that some things are not understandable. And FWIW, I always say what I mean and mean what I say. How "precise" I am is always open for debate.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #185 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 11,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
He is the Master-Debater-Man.
Multipurpose is offline  
post #186 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipurpose View Post
He is the Master-Debater-Man.
I'm sure you meant to say that he's the Master..Bater-Man!

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #187 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
1. "...political argument"? Where did that come from? Perhaps it is you who are thinking too politically... I had nothing political in mind when I said that some things are not understandable.

2. And FWIW, I always say what I mean and mean what I say. How "precise" I am is always open for debate.
1. I beg your pardon, I misunderstood what I thought was an implication to the current politics concerning GCC. My mistake.

2. When you said, "...there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood," I understood that to mean there is some malevolent force in the universe that prevents us from knowing something. Is that what you meant?

B

The biggest problems we are facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all and thatís what I intend to reverse.

~ Senator Barack H. Obama
Botnst is offline  
post #188 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
1. I beg your pardon, I misunderstood what I thought was an implication to the current politics concerning GCC. My mistake.

2. When you said, "...there are some things that are just not meant to be fully understood," I understood that to mean there is some malevolent force in the universe that prevents us from knowing something. Is that what you meant?

B
1. Thank you.

2. No, that isn't what I meant.

All I meant was that Mother Nature doesn't confide her grand plan in us mere mortals. Though there are times she does appear to be a "malevolent force," such as the recent "natural" disasters in the South and East, I do not view this as a "malevolent force," but rather a force of nature--over which we have no control. And I would never presume to be able to explain why Mother does what she does. This isn't to say that we can't, w/in very narrow and limited parameters, predict what may happen tomorrow or the next day w/ our weather. It only means that much beyond that will probably remain a mystery for a very long time.

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
post #189 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
mcbear's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Location: The BlueGrass State
Posts: 29,579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR View Post
Soooo.....we've established in another thread that 30 miles can mean 50" worth of snow, and that cities like Chicago are seeing some of the snowiest (not just wettest - SNOWIEST) winters on record.

If climate doesn't affect weather, then why is the weather irrelevant as it applies to climate? Why is a .007 degree per year average change in "global climate" a bad thing? Why isn't the term "global climate" by itself enough to induce hysterical laughter? Why can't we advocate living cleanly without this holier-than-thou, baseless pseudo-scientific "global climate" bullshit?
Just because you don't understand it's science does not mean the science is either pseudo-science or bullshit.

Weather IS relevant to climate, in that daily weather is one of many billions of snapshots of overall climate. Much like any math model, the more samples, the better the predictive outcome of extrapolative modeling.

Overall Climate DOES affect the weather but not so much on a daily basis except in broad brush causes [like el Nino, where 2 degree temperature increase of the South Eastern Pacific in a certain sets of Southern Latitudes causes different storm systems in the Western US]

There is a very big aggregate to deal with. The Science is there, neither Pseudo nor Bullshit - just hard.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
mcbear is offline  
post #190 of 223 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Jayhawk's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Posts: 21,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
Just because you don't understand it's science does not mean the science is either pseudo-science or bullshit.

Weather IS relevant to climate, in that daily weather is one of many billions of snapshots of overall climate. Much like any math model, the more samples, the better the predictive outcome of extrapolative modeling.

Overall Climate DOES affect the weather but not so much on a daily basis except in broad brush causes [like el Nino, where 2 degree temperature increase of the South Eastern Pacific in a certain sets of Southern Latitudes causes different storm systems in the Western US]

There is a very big aggregate to deal with. The Science is there, neither Pseudo nor Bullshit - just hard.
How 'bout Bearshit?

Don't believe everything you think
Jayhawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Global Warming Over? 430 Off-Topic 30 01-06-2007 03:29 AM
    global O mzsmbs Off-Topic 0 12-06-2006 09:19 AM
    Global Warming DP Off-Topic 40 10-31-2006 10:53 PM
    A refresher on Global Cooling. errrr Global Warming 430 Off-Topic 67 04-07-2006 06:55 PM
    Global Warming Woolly R171 SLK-Class 6 02-26-2005 03:21 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome