BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
If I actually cared, I could've Googled those details. But, I just don't see the relevance to this thread. If Wolfie tithes generously, bathes regularly and only beats his dog twice a week, it still doesn't absolve him of his manifest crimes. Lots of people are complex. I'm not one of them, but I'm trying.
Same with Joe Stalin. Knowing that ol' Joe was nice to dogs and young children doesn't absolve the murdering mofo of anything. But it does give a greater understanding of Joe. For me, understanding the whole person, whether hated enemy or intimate loved one, is the best way to defeat one and protect the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
No argument here; post away. Don't mind me, I'll just be up here in the peanut gallery, smoking dope and making wisecracks.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Cruise Control

Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wolfowitz 'sorry' for girlfriend's $240k

By Jitendra Joshi in Washington

April 13, 2007 02:13am
Article from: Agence France-Presse

WORLD Bank president Paul Wolfowitz apologised today for making a "mistake" over hefty pay rises given to his girlfriend at the development lender, but refused to say if he might quit.

“I made a mistake, for which I am sorry,” Mr Wolfowitz told a news conference as an uproar intensified over an employment package worth nearly $US200,000 ($242,000) given by the World Bank to his Libyan-born partner, Shaha Riza.

The former deputy US defence secretary, one of the architects of the war in Iraq, refused to say if he might have to resign as the World Bank's board of governors met to discuss the row today.

“I'm not going to pre-empt their deliberations,” he said, but stressed: “I will accept any remedies they propose.

“I take full responsibility for the details of the agreement,” he added, after explaining that he had followed advice given by the bank's ethics committee on Riza's employment.

“I did not attempt to hide my actions nor make anyone else responsible.”

The controversy has embarrassed Mr Wolfowitz just as he battles to overcome scepticism about a campaign that he is waging against corruption in the World Bank's multi-billion dollar lending.

He is also under fire from veteran World Bank staff for his management style, following a series of clashes with the board and hostility towards his appointment of Republican Party allies to key bank posts.

Amid a series of media leaks over the Riza affair, the World Bank's legal department this week retained a Washington law firm to investigate the disclosure of “confidential” internal communications.

“Clearly, this is an attempt by bank management to create a climate of intimidation and to silence whistleblowers, both past and future,” commented Bea Edwards of the Washington-based Government Accountability Project.

Ms Riza was transferred from the World Bank's communications office to the US State Department, in line with bank regulations to avoid a conflict of interest after Mr Wolfowitz's appointment in mid-2005.

While still on the World Bank payroll, she was then rapidly promoted and ended up with compensation of more than $US193,000 ($234,000) - about $US7000 ($8500) higher than Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice earns.

Mr Wolfowitz acknowledged that the controversy “had the potential to harm this institution” but stressed that he had initially wanted no involvement in her employment terms.

“This was not in any way to protect personal interests. My real regret was that I didn't more forcefully keep myself out it,” he said.

The ethics committee's advice had been to “promote and relocate” Ms Riza out of the World Bank, he said, although that is disputed by some bank staff.

According to a Financial Times report today, Mr Wolfowitz personally ordered the massive pay rises given to Ms Riza.

It cited two people who had seen a memo from Mr Wolfowitz to the head of human resources spelling out the terms of the package.

Last week the bank's governors, who are appointed by national governments, ordered an investigation into a “possible violation of staff rules in favour of a staff member closely associated with the President”.

The probe was instigated after a circular from the World Bank's internal staff association said it had been “inundated with messages from staff expressing concern, dismay and outrage” over the Riza case.

Mr Wolfowitz, whose nomination two years ago by the US Government was controversial given his role in the Iraq war, refused to say whether his credibility was now damaged beyond repair.

But he insisted that he had taken on board staff criticisms, especially over his appointment of two former members of US President George W. Bush's administration to high-ranking jobs in his inner circle.

Mr Wolfowitz denied he had brought in an “army of Bush administration retreads” but acknowledged: “I agree that their role has to be better structured.”

“For those people who disagree with the things that they associate with my previous job, I'm not in my previous job,” he added.

“I'm not working for the US government. I believe deeply in the mission of the (World Bank) institution and have a passion for it.”
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sometimes Neocons forget that they are not God, you got to blame it on the environment you know, it ain't their fault really...
Nepotism and inbreeding is just part of the way to do business.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks the right attitude Mr. Z, forgive and forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in