post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I'm with you on this one: It is okay if I have a big house to use more fuel as long as I say the right things.

Let the ordinary people in their squalid little cottages burn peat for their gruel, I'm going for a palatial Romanesque mansion paid for by jetting around the world telling people to conserve energy.

B
I don't know, I live in a pretty small house [less that 3200sqft and 50 years old] but to have my biz I also have 3200 sqft for it. When I only ran the Consulting biz I had 2500sqft of office space that had 4 full time employees and my utilities were in the $600 monthly average with servers and eight constant running computers, two copiers a fax, fridge, TV and full sized Asteroids video game. Gore's place is not so much a BIG HOUSE as it is a Large Multi-Use House. So when it is looked at in that more correct perspective the NeoCon argument grounds out to Zero.

Never been much of a Gore fan, I thought he “assumed” he would be President without actually having earned the right for the Nom. in 2000. Also I have not really been a fan of the EcoStars that wander around touting their ecological chops now that it is the hip thing.

I do, however like to poke holes in an argument when it is poised by those who fail to take the time to even do the most rudimentary math to see if its argument passes basic math and logic. Of course that has been one of my favorite hobbies of the past Six years as I have determined that Faith Based Logic and Math leaves much to be desired in the ol debate circle.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Moderately subtle

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
The 3200SF number is for newer houses and not really accurate. I looked at national numbers and then all the variables associated with it [different rates, variable utility rates etc] and the best comparison was to take Nashville [which is a CPI 98 anyway] and just do a 1:1. That is where the 9.3X from as the AVERAGE Nashville Area [6 counties] was $243.01 monthly for Gas and Electric bills. That made the comparison pure and clean [although debunking the 20X thingie] and would be within 2% of National Average.
The article said the house consumes 20X the average consumption of natural gas, didn't say anything about the electric or the combined bill. I'll accept your math on the total bill.

I'm no fan of Gore either, for an obvious reason and one that isn't: He remade himself so many times trying to get elected, it sickened me that he's from my state.

Last edited by edfreeman; 04-06-2007 at 07:59 PM.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I don't know, I live in a pretty small house [less that 3200sqft and 50 years old] but to have my biz I also have 3200 sqft for it. When I only ran the Consulting biz I had 2500sqft of office space that had 4 full time employees and my utilities were in the $600 monthly average with servers and eight constant running computers, two copiers a fax, fridge, TV and full sized Asteroids video game. Gore's place is not so much a BIG HOUSE as it is a Large Multi-Use House. So when it is looked at in that more correct perspective the NeoCon argument grounds out to Zero.

Never been much of a Gore fan, I thought he “assumed” he would be President without actually having earned the right for the Nom. in 2000. Also I have not really been a fan of the EcoStars that wander around touting their ecological chops now that it is the hip thing.

I do, however like to poke holes in an argument when it is poised by those who fail to take the time to even do the most rudimentary math to see if its argument passes basic math and logic. Of course that has been one of my favorite hobbies of the past Six years as I have determined that Faith Based Logic and Math leaves much to be desired in the ol debate circle.
I easily distinguish between Mr. Gore and his argument. I think he's a doofus of Bushian proportion without being as intellectually adroit. However, I read his book long before it was popular and I still believe most of his observations and many of his predictions have stood the test of time.

I just don't want him near sharp objects or the presidency.

B
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I easily distinguish between Mr. Gore and his argument. I think he's a doofus of Bushian proportion without being as intellectually adroit. However, I read his book long before it was popular and I still believe most of his observations and many of his predictions have stood the test of time.

I just don't want him near sharp objects or the presidency.

B
I think that is a good assessment. While I did not think he had earned the "right" to ascend in 2000, I could see him running as a viable candidate now if he sticks to what he knows [the last eight years have been a good education for him]. I don't know that he would be elected but in a "lesser of two evils", I know that he would be a more logical choice that a continuation of the current NeoCon status quo.

Personally, however I think he is much more effective banging the drum for the Climate Change issue on a world platform and will do more long term good than trying to be President, with all the compromises that would entail.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in