LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:19 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The argument could be made, that Countries with VAT's have an advantage when it comes to exports to non VAT Countries.
WorldNetDaily: The VAT: Menace to free trade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
The argument could be made, that Countries with VAT's have an advantage when it comes to exports to non VAT Countries.
WorldNetDaily: The VAT: Menace to free trade
Considering the amount of countries that have VAT or like we have VAT by another name (GST) to me that makes a compelling argument to reform the US tax system to the same standard as the rest of us.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '90 560SEL, V8 Landcruiser, Toyota S/Wagon
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
Considering the amount of countries that have VAT or like we have VAT by another name (GST) to me that makes a compelling argument to reform the US tax system to the same standard as the rest of us.
Now there's a radical idea - that the US could actually admit it made a mistake and didn't follow (137) others.
The US is not accustomed to following anyone.
VAT or GST is not a universal percentage however, and varies between 10 and 25%
(% + or -!), and is additionally applied to such things as shipping to a total landed cost.
I wish I lived closer to a Corvette assembly line.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpton
Now there's a radical idea - that the US could actually admit it made a mistake and didn't follow (137) others.
The US is not accustomed to following anyone.
VAT or GST is not a universal percentage however, and varies between 10 and 25%
(% + or -!), and is additionally applied to such things as shipping to a total landed cost.
I wish I lived closer to a Corvette assembly line.
Haha, next stop the metric system......
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Haha, next stop the metric system......
Take their inch and watch them squeal for the extra beyond 2.5cm.
Maybe that could be their first VAT experience.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
"I believe in free trade but when we are the only ones abiding by any of the rules this I feel is more than justified"

What a bunch of BS, the US has some of the most protective tarriffs particulary on primary products, almost as bad as the EU.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say:

"I believe in proping up inefficient industry and working aganist the law of comparative advantage whilst publicly preaching the virtues of free and fair trade"
In our case the massive US consessions to their farmers to make agricultural crops that they cannot sell. Our farmers go broke because they cannot compete in the world market against that govenment backed crop subsidy

http://impact.wsu.edu/newsletter_blo...at_subsidy.pdf

The massive money spent proping up the industry year after year would be better spend developing other industrys.

The American car industry is the same. Now that the US is experiencing higher fuel prices, although still cheap compared to the rest of the world, it has turned the public to imported vehicles. The car buying public send money overseas to get the economy and technology thats not availiable in such a closed national market.

US Auto Market Stats: The Numbers Don't Lie (DCX, F, GM, HMC, NSANY, TM) - Seeking Alpha

A similar thou smaller scale reaction is happening in Australia at the moment. When China start selling cheap, well made cars like Japan did with electronics last century, the world will look a lot different on all our roads.

China Sets Sights On U.S. Car Market, Family Sedan Priced Under $10,000 Planned By 2008 - CBS News

Andrew

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 03:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: W211
Well at least the Canadians know how to look after and keep their men employed.

Pierre De Froge
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
While free trade and competition is of value, there are patterns of exploiting low cost labor at the expense of maintaining industries of vital importance to national security. Metals, various manufacturing and consumer electronics products come to mind. So, while one side of the coin is an easy debate and should involve things like VATs, and some kind of index to the local standard of living/wage scale, the other side of the coin is a debate over making certain we can arm ourselves, especially in light of the unilateral approach ot diplomacy we have seen of late.

I laugh at the suggestion that lower cost coming from unregulated industrial activity and low wages equate to higher productivity or efficiency. I also wonder how the lower end of the middle class in the US can not see they can not afford Walmart's bargains, which do little more than export their manufacturing jobs. As this "succeeds" for Walmart and its clones, we will see technical and professional jobs following the same path.

This path leads to a country dependent on technical innovation and change, commoditiziing that skillset and ultimately being entirely dependent on offshore talent. Not a good picture for maintaining leadership roles in defense hardware. The shipbuilding industry has already taken this path, and today a ship, any ship be it a nuclear powered submarine to a gas turbine driven destroyer is $2.5 billion. And those aircraft carriers have construction budgets of more than two and half times that. Ships have become so expensive our Navy, in the last decade and change has dropped from nearly 600 ships to under 250 ships. We can't afford to build and test prototype ships, hulls and propulsion systems for the future because the development money for the Navy is drying up to maintain production of a handful of ships a year while two to three handfuls are turned to scrap metal.

There was a time when aircraft were produced by several, maybe half a dozen or more, real, separate companies in the US. Today we have Boeing and Lockheed Martin, with what appears to be a dying on the vine Northrup Grumman. The price of this consolidation is the same as the shipbuildiing industry consolidation - aircraft that cost more than even the US can afford to buy in sufficient numbers to sustain a long term battle capability. They wear out faster than they can be built. Adding a supply chain that depends on overseas sources for either starting materials or finished parts is going to make that problem fatal. We add an unprotectable with our miniscule fleet of ships, supply chain that will cripple production.

Free trade has a value, it just isn't worth the demise of our nation. Jim
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Free trade has a value, it just isn't worth the demise of our nation. Jim
Wow, with a comment like that you would think the demise had not started already....
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 01:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Wow, with a comment like that you would think the demise had not started already....
Maybe the US should get their arms: - tanks, submarines, ships, rockets, planes...etc made in China?
Now there's another radical idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in