Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Gun totin' aide to senator: Busted!

Sen. Webb backs aide with gun -- 'dangerous time' for politicians
Virginia Democrat strongly supports right to bear arms

Joel Havemann, Los Angeles Times

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

(03-28) 04:00 PDT Washington -- Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., one day after his aide's arrest for carrying a loaded pistol into a Senate office building, called the incident "unfortunate" Tuesday and offered a ringing endorsement of the right to bear arms.

Since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Webb said, it has been "a more dangerous time" for people in government.

"I believe that it's important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I am in, to be able to defend myself and my family," Webb told reporters in the Capitol. "I believe that wherever you see laws that allow people to carry (weapons), generally the violence goes down."

Webb's aide Phillip Thompson was arrested Monday when, according to Capitol police, he tried to enter a Senate office building with a loaded handgun and two magazines of ammunition.

Police said the weapon was inside a briefcase Thompson placed on an X-ray belt. Thompson said the gun and magazines belonged to Webb, although Webb said he had not given them to Thompson.

"The defendant further stated that he inadvertently left the gun" in the briefcase, the police report on the incident said.

Webb told reporters that he was in New Orleans at the time of the arrest. He described Thompson as "a longtime friend."

"He has worked for me since the beginning of the campaign last year," Webb said. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. I think this is one of those very unfortunate situations where, completely inadvertently, he took the weapon into the Senate."

Webb, Navy secretary under President Ronald Reagan before switching parties and running as a Democrat for the Senate last year, said he had long held a permit in Virginia to carry a weapon.

Webb pointed out that police are assigned to protect the president and other high-ranking executive-branch officials but not members of Congress.

"We are required to defend ourselves, and I chose to do so," he said.

Thompson, whose 45th birthday was Monday, spent the night in a District of Columbia lockup and was freed without bond after appearing at a Superior Court hearing, where he was charged with one felony count of carrying a pistol without a license. Another court hearing was scheduled for May 1.

Thompson is a former writer and Marine who fought in the Gulf War, said Robert Hodierne, senior managing editor for Army Times Publishing Co., where Thompson used to work as an editor.

"He's a fine fellow," Hodierne said. "He's married with kids, a family man, a solid citizen."

Army Times, a Gannett Co. subsidiary, publishes four weekly newspapers covering the military: Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times. Most recently, Thompson worked as an editor in the features and lifestyle section that appeared in the papers, Hodierne said.

He left last March to work for the Webb campaign, Hodierne said. According to an online biography, Thompson is from Mississippi and is the author of two books: "Into the Storm," a memoir of his time in the Gulf War, and "The Enemy Within," a novel.

The Washington Post contributed to this report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, got an opinion on that Bot?

OBK #35

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
I have always believed in concealed carry, however theres too many pansies here in Illinois to allow that law to pass. Im glad I get to carry in all 50 states.

Even in the biggest liberal city Chicago I can carry, where guns are banned. Nice the criminals have them, but not law abiding citizens......

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by BadBenz94; 03-28-2007 at 11:15 AM.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
Hmmm, got an opinion on that Bot?
The aide goofed-up. In a rational world the guard would've said, "Dude, take your piece home and come back."

I believe that armed citizens are the best defense against crime and tyranny.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
The aide goofed-up. In a rational world the guard would've said, "Dude, take your piece home and come back."

This is one response that I agree with
I think the people of Iraq should follow that model too, don't you think?

Quote:
Iraqi police officers kill dozens in Sunni neighborhoods

Attacks were revenge for yesterday's truck bombs, officials say

By Sinan Salaheddin
The Associated Press

March 28, 2007, 11:22 AM EDT

BAGHDAD -- Shiite militants and police enraged by massive truck bombings in Tal Afar went on a revenge spree against Sunni residents in the northwestern town today, killing as many as 60 people, officials said.

The gunmen began roaming Sunni neighborhoods in the city, shooting at residents and homes, according to police and a local Sunni politician.

Ali al-Talafari, a Sunni member of the local Turkomen Front Party, said the Iraqi army had arrested 18 policemen accused of being involved after they were identified by the Sunni families targeted. But he said the attackers included Shiite militiamen.

He said more than 60 Sunnis had been killed, but a senior hospital official in Tal Afar put the death toll at 45, with four wounded.

The hospital official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to security concerns, said the victims were men between the ages of 15 and 60, and they were killed with a shot to the back of the head.

Police said earlier dozens of Sunnis were killed or wounded, but they had no precise figures, and communications problems made it difficult to reach them for an update. The shooting continued for more than two hours, the officials said.

Army troops later moved into the Sunni areas to stop the violence and a curfew was slapped on the entire town, according to Wathiq al-Hamdani, the provincial police chief and his head of operations, Brig. Abdul-Karim al-Jibouri.

"The situation is under control now," said al-Hamdani. "The local Tal Afar police have been confined to their bases and policemen from Mosul are moving there to replace them."

Tal Afar, located 260 miles northwest of Baghdad, is in the province of Ninevah, of which Mosul is the capital. It is a mainly Turkomen city with some 60 percent of its residents adhering to Shiite Islam and the rest mostly Sunnis.

The violence came a day after two truck bombs shattered markets in the city, killing at least 63 people and wounding dozens in the second assault in four days. After Tuesday's bombings, suspected Sunni insurgents tried to ambush ambulances carrying the injured out of the northwestern city but were driven off by police gunfire, Iraqi authorities said.

The carnage was the worst bloodshed in a surge of violence across Iraq as militants on both sides of the sectarian divide apparently have fled to other parts of the country to avoid a U.S.-Iraqi security crackdown, raising tensions outside the capital.

The city was an insurgent stronghold until an offensive by U.S. and Iraqi troops in September 2005, when rebel fighters fled into the countryside without a battle. Last March, President Bush cited the operation as an example that gave him "confidence in our strategy."

But even though U.S. and Iraqi forces put up sand barriers around Tal Afar to limit access, the city has suffered frequent insurgent attacks.

Meanwhile, suicide bombers detonated explosives on trucks carrying highly toxic chlorine in Fallujah, wounding about 15 U.S. and Iraqi security forces, the American military said. The military said the attackers were blocked by Iraqi army soldiers and police from setting off the bombs at the Fallujah government center.

The chlorine gas attack was the eighth launched since Jan. 28, when a suicide bomber driving a dump truck filled with explosives and a chlorine tank struck a quick-reaction force and Iraqi police in Ramadi, killing 16 people.

Elsewhere, hundreds of Iraqis detained in the U.S.-led security crackdown in Baghdad are being held in two detention centers designed to hold at most a few dozen people, The New York Times reported today, citing an Iraqi monitoring group.

The report said 705 people were packed into an area built for 75 at one of the detention centers, in the town of Mahmudiya, south of Baghdad. The other center, on Muthana Air Base, held 272 people, including two women and four boys, in a space designed to hold about 50.

Officials from the monitoring group said they did not know the sectarian composition of the detainee populations.
Copyright © 2007, The Associated Press
Oh this is Tal Afar, WOW
Didn't Bush claim that it was a model of what Iraq should be because things "were under control" there?

Last edited by DP; 03-28-2007 at 10:14 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Who gives a shit.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst

I'm completed underwhelmed.

OBK #35

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Who gives a shit.
Matthew Sheppard's parents care.

Their son was murdered because he was gay.

Liberals would rather see him dead, strapped to a fence post than let him defend himself with a firearm.

His blood is on the hands of you and your elitest friends. The more vulnerable in our society can't afford bodyguards like Rosie.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
I'm completed underwhelmed.

Just another brown-skinned child killed by gangsters. Just another gay man beaten to death by bigots. Can't let THEM have the means to defend themselves.

Gotta keep guns "off the streets". We all know where "the streets" are. It ain't the suburbs.

Liberal elitests are fine with all this.

It isn't as important as french fry oil in your car.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I encourage all my leftist friends to own guns. Jim Webb, he's a hell of a guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in