Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Plot revealed!

Nagin Suspects a Plot To Keep Blacks Away

By Hamil R. Harris
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, March 17, 2007; A07

New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin has suggested that the slow recovery and rebuilding of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina -- which has prevented many black former residents from returning -- is part of a plan to change the racial makeup and political leadership of his and other cities.

"Ladies and gentlemen, what happened in New Orleans could happen anywhere," Nagin said at a dinner sponsored by the National Newspaper Publishers Association, a trade group for newspapers that target black readers. "They are studying this model of natural disasters, dispersing the community and changing the electoral process in that community."

Nagin's remarks Thursday night recalled the controversy stirred up by his prediction in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day speech in 2006 that, despite the evacuation of thousands of black people in the wake of Katrina, New Orleans would once again become a "chocolate city." The mayor later apologized for the comment, which had infuriated many whites and African Americans.

Nagin, who won reelection last May over Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu, referred obliquely to the "chocolate city" comment at the dinner and suggested that his assertion that New Orleans would once again be a majority-black city had made him a political target.

"Everybody in America started to wake up and say: 'Wait a minute. What is he doing? What is he saying? We have to make sure that this man doesn't go any further,' " Nagin told a room full of black newspaper publishers and editors at the Capital Hilton.

Referring to Landrieu, who is white, as "the golden boy," Nagin suggested his chance at reelection in the mayoral race had seemed slim because "they dispersed all of our people across 44 states with one-way tickets."

"They thought they were talking about a different kind of New Orleans," Nagin said. "They didn't realize that folks were awake, that they were paying attention."
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think we should have Nagin for dinner one day.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Surely A Large Human
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't know of a white person in America who could possibly be more racist than Ray Nagin.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
I don't know of a white person in America who could possibly be more racist than Ray Nagin.
Senator Byrd (D-WV).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
well can you blame them here they have a chance to re build a city
from the ground up
so lets correct all the mistakes and lets only invite families with money and let them settle in first. the rats mice and other vermine will find its own way back .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Well, here's a consideration.

Dry land costs money in New Orleans. Every day it takes electricity to make those pumps run. Tax dollars must come in to make it work, and those who use those tax dollars for the public service of pumping should be those to pay the tax dollars for the service.

Now, before you jump down my throat, I'm not saying that blacks don't have jobs or don't pay taxes. I'm just saying that it is not cheap to stay dry in New Orleans, and pumping shouldn't be a "gift" to those who want to live there but can't afford it.

I'd bet that the black people with enough money and personal fortitude to get themselves back on their feet are not those concerned with conspiracies about the city's not being "chocolate".
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: