Just for those that are thinking about visiting that God forsaken place BALI..... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just for those that are thinking about visiting that God forsaken place BALI.....

The TV makes Bali sound like a great place but I just read a questionaire on a local website here in Jakarta and one of the regulars to the website (an outspoken Brit) put it in to words why you should not visit the main city of Bali, Denpasar, and if you do be aware of what he says below. Pesonally my wife and I hate staying in Denpasar (way to commercial) and usually head outside the main city of Denpasar to a couple of hotels we know either in Ubud (great city) about 2 hour drive outside of Denpasar or up on the east coast of Bali about again about 2 hour drive outside Denpasar.

Question 10. Do you like to visit an island in Indonesia called Bali? Why?

No emphatically NO !!! Apart from the fact despite lip service NOTHING has been done to prove they are actually taking security seriously. Also, the majority of Balinese business people are greedy, conniving, underhand, scumbags who attempt to rip anyone and everyone off at every opportunity. At a lower level, the place is still full of money changers who steal from tourists, waitresses who cannot calculate 2 x 10 and make 20, bar staff who add ghost drinks to bills, restaurants with two sets of menus with different prices, hotel staff who will steal anything not nailed down, hotels that find mysterious hidden extras on check out hoping that the tourist is in a hurry to get to the airport and will pay without checking (thank you Padma Legian for THAT unforgettable experience) taxis without change, beach masseurs that start a massage without being asked then demand payment when told to go away, street vendors that STILL hassle tourists despite the fact we are told they have been cleared off the streets. Staff in department stores who will hide behind clothing racks if they think they may be asked to actually serve someone, department stores with the absolutely garbage system of payment for items, queuing at a kas counter only to be told you are at the wrong one and being redirected to a kasir that is actually closed. Beach vendors at Sanur that follow you around whinging and whining, following you onto the beach and still not letting up when you try and get forty winks. Minibus drivers who drive slowly alongside you hissing takssssssii missssssssstterrr Minibus drivers who run up to you and wiggle their hands up and down repeating transport transport as you hang your crash helmet on your motorbike, beggars with fat chubby kids getting in your face at kerbside restaurants. Traffic polis that consider ANY tourist on a motorbike as the supplier of their next meal. There is also an underbelly of expat thieves and conmen there who have made contributions to certain individuals and will therefore never see the inside of a polis station and are allowed to continue ripping people off and also getting legit entrepreneurs hassled out of existence. There is a thriving market in child sex abuse where perps sometimes get arrested for something they didnt do&&& pay the right uniform/parents the required amount&&&. To conclude, I lived in Bali for a year trying to run my business from there, I arrived full of enthusiasm and joy at the prospect of living and working in such a beautiful location as The Island of Gods I left the place broke, ripped off, office equipment, personal belongings stolen by residential complex management and staff, a debt collector following me around because a car rental company decided to up their rates and backdate them three months ( I kid you not ) presented with bills in the complex where I lived for meals and drinks where the signature was not only not mine, but some of the dates on the bills were BEFORE I moved into the complex. There were only TWO shining lights of sanity on the whole place Toms International Sports Bar, Sanur and Alys Caf← Jalan Pantai Sindah, now moved to a new location, Aly is gone but Alex the Cloggy still runs a great restaurant and bar, I think it is called The Seagull Restaurant or something similar&&&. All in all you could not pay me enough to go back there &&&&.The Island of Sods
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: