Deep in Debt, Deeper in Denial - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Deep in Debt, Deeper in Denial

"Maxed Out," a documentary that opens nationwide next week, examines the dark side of America's love affair with debt.

By turns humorous and heartbreaking, "Maxed Out" exposes the targeting techniques of credit card companies (the most profitable customers are broke); the gold rush mentality in the business of debt collection; an influential credit scoring industry riddled with errors; and the power of the credit card lobby at the highest levels of government. (MBNA, the biggest campaign contributor to President Bush, was behind the restrictive bankruptcy legislation of 2005.)

Submerged in Debt

"Maxed Out" is directed by filmmaker James Scurlock, a Wharton business school dropout and entrepreneur. Scurlock also wrote a book based on the film, which is due out next week from Scribner, a division of Simon & Schuster.

Scurlock says he started out hoping to do a lighthearted riff on consumer irresponsibility, but was shocked by what he found: College students and housewives committing suicide over their credit card debt, and the nation's biggest banks involved in predatory lending schemes.

In one case, the film shows Citigroup's lending arm foreclosing on a Mississippi shack owned by developmentally impaired woman and her severely retarded 44-year-old son after they were refinanced into a loan they couldn't afford.

"I wanted to know why people are living so close to the edge," says Scurlock. "A lot of people just haven't been able to keep pace with expenses like health care, education, and housing. Credit cards become the life raft that people don't even have to reach for -- they're just there." Scurlock points to new "medical" credit cards, for example, which invite consumers to dive deeper and deeper in debt.

Conservative Consumer Advocacy

This indictment of the industry comes from a 34-year-old who was voted "most conservative" by his business school peers at the University of Pennsylvania, and who worked on the election campaign for George H.W. Bush.

"It's not in anyone's interest to have a financial industry that behaves like a used-car dealership," says Scurlock. "I think it's conservative to expect that credit will be regulated in this country. People need to have to have a strong financial industry that's trusted -- and to the extent that that erodes, that's very bad for the country and the economy."

In the film, Scurlock interviews the two young founders of People First Recoveries, a Minnesota collections and debt purchasing firm, who purport to represent the "kinder, gentler" side of the debt collection business. And yet they describe themselves as "pirates" -- using swashbuckling techniques like calling neighbors and relatives to intimidate debtors into paying.

In another interview, Harvard law professor Elizabeth Warren recalls a presentation she did for financial services executives in which she discussed how many bankruptcies could be prevented simply by eliminating those customers on the financial edge. A member of the firm informed her that those consumers comprise the most profitable part of the business.
The Personal Accountability Gap

Unfortunately, Scurlock never directly addresses the personal-accountability aspect of debt in his film. I was hoping he would ask at least a few hard questions about the consumption choices that lead people into the red.

"A lot of people we talked to said, ‘Gee looking back at the level of debt, there should be a Mercedes or a Ferrari in my driveway, but I have nothing to show for it,'" Scurlock says. "Most Americans are very optimistic. They think things will always get better from here, they'll make more money, they won't have any emergencies. Credit has become so ingrained in the culture that so many people can't imagine living without it. Once you decide you're never going to be out of debt, you can afford anything."

Other than my mortgage, which is fixed for 30 years at a low interest rate, I don't do debt. No revolving credit card debt, no auto loans, no home equity borrowing. Would I like to bust out the back of my home and create a designer kitchen and family room? You bet. Am I going to sacrifice my children's college savings or retirement goals on the altar of my extreme makeover? No way.

I had the good luck to have wise parents born during the Depression, who drew a very clear line about debt. They taught me that you buy things you can afford -- not things on which you can afford a monthly payment. You don't shop for recreation. And the only thing you should borrow to buy is an appreciating asset that will very likely, over time, pay you back more than you put into it, such as a home.

Anything But Maxed Out

Here's my problem with taking on debt: I have a profound respect for the unknown. For instance, my husband and I work for ourselves. This is an excellent way to avoid ruthless bosses and layoffs. But if one of us were to get injured or become ill, it would be pretty hard to keep business hopping.

Meanwhile, I'm optimistic that if I work hard, my income will continue to rise. On the other hand, I have dozens of friends and acquaintances who, despite their hard work, were downsized or squeezed out after a merger, spent long periods unemployed, and/or returned to jobs that paid less. The rosy scenario of a steadily climbing income that peaks just before retirement is the stuff of economic models -- not the real life of the middle-income Americans I know.

Here's the other irony: Credit card companies market their products by claiming they offer you a world of choices -- take that dream vacation, buy the 60-inch television. But by steering completely clear of credit card debt and saving on a regular basis over time, I found myself with much richer options -- choices about how I would balance work with family, health, and friendship. That satisfaction is more enduring than anything I could have purchased with plastic.

Buying with Blinders On

Why, I asked Scurlock, don't people understand this? Why do so many consumers buy things on credit and then pay double for them over time? Why do they sacrifice what they want most in life for what they want this very second?

It's pretty simple, Scurlock says: "I think there's a lot of denial. Most people can't do the math. There is very little, if any, focus on the balance sheet side of the equation."

Seems to describe an interesting documentary about dumbasses, since I am over here does not seem to be one I will find in the pirated section at the local mall. Glad I came over here and did not get caught up in this kind of crap in the States. Over here if you are an expat you do not get credit to buy a house, you buy what you can afford and work your ass off to get the money to afford it. Our house, our Bali land, our apartment, our cars and all of our possessions are owned up front.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always wonder about certain families in Westchester Co. who drive their Range Rovers but live in a small and shoddy Cape Cod style house with no garage to pamper that high-maintenance beast.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2002
My clients are lending institutions and the horror stoires I hear from them are numbing and leave me feeling anxious for a certain population. Where is the self-control? Discipline? It seems more and more, according only to stories I hear from lenders, many people feel bankruptcy is an easy way to buy a variety of "things" then file for bankruptcy, leaving themselves freed of that debt. An absolutely scary mentality.

It seems most people have no "financial" clue. Unable, or unwilling to see the most basic of mathematical sense and/or reason. I remember reading about all the $40,000/year income millionaires in Dallas in the 80's, early 90's. Everyone wants the showy personal possessions. The repercussions of bankruptcy should be mopre severe for those people who are not able to demonstrate a reasonable hardship.

2001 S55
2001 CLK55
92 400E
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
^^^ Welcome to the lion's den -- I couldn't agree more.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Anyone here is a lender that finances boats? I have my eye on a $300K Sea Churner to go fishing in style. I want my payments not to be more than $200 a month Ok!
I also want to buy an ML with a tow package to take that thing to the marina. If you can please make my ML payment no more than $250 I will buy it otherwise what's the lease option? Oh I want plasma/LCD TVs in the ML and the boat too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Since I work for a Credit Bureau handling peoples debts I seriously dont have sympathy for most of the people buried in debt. I can't beleive what these people do on a daily basis to avoid the debt with their excuses. Simply unreal.

My modo is if you dont have the money dont buy it! Im 24, and working in credit for 3 years kept me out of trouble big time.

98 S420
99 C43 ////AMG
99 C230 Kompressor
02 C240

Former MB's:
83 380SEL
85 380SE
91 560SEL
02 C230K Sport Coupe
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: