LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gregs300CD
There were National Guard troops in NO. Good. There should have been more there.

I'm saying they shouldn't be in Iraq.
Now think this through carefully. There were plenty of NG forces in LA and in adjoining states. The governors have interlocking agreements with each other to provide NG forces on request, across state lines. There are existing agreements between the fed and every state governor that the governor must ask for assistance before a martial response can be federalized. The NG DID NOT FAIL IN IT'S DUTY. Those men and women damn-well knew that they'd be activated if a major hurricane came ashore. This wasn't our first rodeo, son. Those soldiers know their duty and are ready and willing to do it. The governor fucked-up. She failed to call-up the guard long-enough in advance to properly stage them. Once called, they loaded-up and shipped-out.

But the command and control of New Orleans was FUBAR. Partly this was due to the total breakdown of New Orleans police department, fire department, public services department and topped with Brownie doing a hell of job. So when the LANG got to NOLA there was nobody to give them direction and worse FEMA, trying to impose some sort of order in the face of a totally collapsed civil authority, did the bureaucratic thing and told everybody to do nothing. Meanwhile, people were stuck in attics in summer New Orleans. So some fed and state agencies broke ranks with FEMA and sneaked in anyway to begin S&R, fuck FEMA. Also, hundreds of private citizens from all over Louisiana said, "Fuck FEMA" and trailed boats down there and launched on their own. Yes, it was a disorganized, dangerous mess. But it got people out of the attics.

The best defense that I can offer FEMA is that the scale of the disaster was completely unprecedented in the United States (after 1927, but that's another story of flooding). And even though FEMA stumbled around like a drunken lout for about 3 days trying to stick a spine up the governor's ass and dealing with a mayor suffering delusions of having a local government, by about day 4 or 5 they had their shit together and were pretty much circumventing state and local leadership and going directly to police precinct and fire station type folks and to NG majors and captains who were crying to help but who couldn't find their own bosses, who were busy covering their asses by blaming others.

"Brownie, you're doing a hell of a job."

If you want to find somebody to blame, there's somebody at every level who is to be blamed. Yes, that includes Bush. Because even had the state and local governments performed magnificently, Brownie was NOT doing a hell of a job, and that was Bush's responsibility.

PS Oh yeah, I agree with you: NG shouldn't be in Iraq. Like I said in my previous message, I think NG should be state-level except under emergency request by adjoining state governor's. It should not be federalized. It should go back to being a militia and if we want to fight wars, make sure we have a professional standing army and reserve component capable of delivering the goods.

Last edited by Botnst; 03-02-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: SL600 ML55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Appreciate your support for the Guard Bot.

02 ML55 AMG
99 ML320
94 SL600
95 E320 Cabriolet
93 300CE Sportline
87 560SEC
86 300SDL Grease Car
87 300E

02 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa
80 Ferrari 308 GTSI
88 Jaguar XJS12 H&E Edition
98 BMW 328i Convertible
00 BMW Z3
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1982 300CD
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Botnst
PS Oh yeah, I agree with you: NG shouldn't be in Iraq.
That is all I was saying.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: