Iraqis agree to share the wealth - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Iraqis agree to share the wealth

Would you look at that...free people, acting freely....
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's government has agreed on a plan to divide the country's oil wealth and open the industry to international investment, a move seen as necessary to a political settlement of the nearly four-year-old war, ministers announced Monday.

"This law will guarantee for Iraqis -- not just now, but for future generations, too -- complete national control over this natural wealth," Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani told reporters at a Baghdad news conference.

The draft law still faces a vote in Iraq's parliament, but the U.S. ambassador in Baghdad hailed Monday's agreement as a step toward a national settlement of the country's divisions.

Iraq's Constitution, adopted in 2005, declares that oil and gas reserves are "owned by all the people of Iraq."

But nearly all of that oil is concentrated in the Kurdish north and Shiite south, raising fears in the Sunni Arab provinces of northwestern and central Iraq -- the heart of the insurgency that has raged since 2003 -- that Sunni Iraqis would be shut out of the country's wealth.

"This law affirms ... all the revenues will be shared at the federal level and redistributed equitably among all Iraqis," Deputy Prime Minister Barham Salih told CNN.

Deciding how to distribute the proceeds of the country's oil industry was a key political benchmark laid out by U.S. officials trying to broker a settlement of the country's political differences.

"This is the first time since 2003 that all major Iraqi communities have come together on a defining piece of legislation," said Zalmay Khalilzad, the outgoing U.S. ambassador in Baghdad. "This law is a major pillar of a national compact among Iraqis."
Qubes is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Would you look at that...free people, acting freely....
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's government has agreed on a plan to divide the country's oil wealth and open the industry to international investment, a move seen as necessary to a political settlement of the nearly four-year-old war, ministers announced Monday.

"This law will guarantee for Iraqis -- not just now, but for future generations, too -- complete national control over this natural wealth," Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani told reporters at a Baghdad news conference.

The draft law still faces a vote in Iraq's parliament, but the U.S. ambassador in Baghdad hailed Monday's agreement as a step toward a national settlement of the country's divisions.

Iraq's Constitution, adopted in 2005, declares that oil and gas reserves are "owned by all the people of Iraq."

But nearly all of that oil is concentrated in the Kurdish north and Shiite south, raising fears in the Sunni Arab provinces of northwestern and central Iraq -- the heart of the insurgency that has raged since 2003 -- that Sunni Iraqis would be shut out of the country's wealth.

"This law affirms ... all the revenues will be shared at the federal level and redistributed equitably among all Iraqis," Deputy Prime Minister Barham Salih told CNN.

Deciding how to distribute the proceeds of the country's oil industry was a key political benchmark laid out by U.S. officials trying to broker a settlement of the country's political differences.

"This is the first time since 2003 that all major Iraqi communities have come together on a defining piece of legislation," said Zalmay Khalilzad, the outgoing U.S. ambassador in Baghdad. "This law is a major pillar of a national compact among Iraqis."
Hush!!

No positive news is allowed.
Botnst is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Posts: 41,649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
A good step, now lets see it become even somewhat real.
Shane is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 03:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Would you look at that...free people, acting freely....
Cuban, I am very impressed with this initial bit of legislation because it is so optimistic in so many ways. But do you think Iraqis are actually free? I think you might have been able to find more appropriate adjectives and adverbs as "free people, acting freely." Sounds a little like your normal only vaguely abberant world outlook has been overcome by the delirious disease resulting from too much contact with the Dick Cheney virus.

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Surely A Large Human
 
Qubes's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Location: Between Earth and Mars
Posts: 34,250
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Cuban, I am very impressed with this initial bit of legislation because it is so optimistic in so many ways. But do you think Iraqis are actually free? I think you might have been able to find more appropriate adjectives and adverbs as "free people, acting freely." Sounds a little like your normal only vaguely abberant world outlook has been overcome by the delirious disease resulting from too much contact with the Dick Cheney virus.

Jim
Give me a break!! That's no more spun-up than any piece of tripe that FTL uses to splash blood on the hands of Bush et al!

I don't find Freedom to be a utopian panacea whereby nobody ever does anyone else any wrong, nor do I find that acceptable. I do however find Freedom to be the sole social incubator of hope on our planet - nothing stands between a free person and the realization of their dreams but time, effort, and desire. Not so true under a dictatorship.
Qubes is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
The insurgents are getting their share at the distribution points in Basrah. Corruption, sabotage and theft haven't gone away.

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.


"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<
cascade is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Give me a break!! That's no more spun-up than any piece of tripe that FTL uses to splash blood on the hands of Bush et al!

I don't find Freedom to be a utopian panacea whereby nobody ever does anyone else any wrong, nor do I find that acceptable. I do however find Freedom to be the sole social incubator of hope on our planet - nothing stands between a free person and the realization of their dreams but time, effort, and desire. Not so true under a dictatorship.
The Iraqi government is hardly functional, they cannot even establish the order needed to exploit the oil wealth to make the distribution alluded to in the agreed upon plan. I think it is great that they are addressing the issue and coming to some idealistic distribution of oil wealth as a stated goal. But I won't hold my breath waiting for the Iraqi government to bring freedom to exercise the plan.

Free people, acting freely? Hopefully sometime but hardly an accurate description of the situation today.

As for the blood on Bush's hands, well, it is there and he exercised his freedom to put it there. To suggest the "devil made me do it" or offer some other excuse is just not being honest. Time is a solvent that allows the truth to leak out of even the best sealed containers. In the next years, if the Democrats do their jobs, more facts surrounding how the error of Iraq was foisted upon us will be revealed. Once the story has been told we can judge whether FTL's choice of words was over the top or not. But, this is the first time I have seen you hold up the "But, Johnny does it" defense, Cuban. I think you may have stepped onto the slippery slope.....

Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 04:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I toadja you can't post good news!
Botnst is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Location: USA
Posts: 9,257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
I toadja you can't post good news!
I thought the achievement was good news. It was only when the achievement is puffed up to mean something it doesn't mean that I raised an objection. I hope you are not suggesting what the Iraqis are experiencing right now is the freedom we have compulsively forced on them at gunpoint. Jim
JimSmith is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
FeelTheLove's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 28,829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This agreement is the crowning achievement of our theft of Iraqi oil. Under it, multi-national oil companies are exempt from taxation. It will last as long as we do in Iraq.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
FeelTheLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    'This is unfair' say Iraqis on US panel threat Jakarta Expat Off-Topic 0 12-07-2006 02:34 AM
    Wealth of Nations Botnst Off-Topic 6 07-30-2006 05:14 PM
    Excellent news for Iraqis Botnst Off-Topic 10 01-25-2006 05:57 AM
    Iraqis furious at 40¢/gal gasoline Marsden Off-Topic 11 01-01-2006 03:37 PM
    US now admits it used chemical weapons against Iraqis FeelTheLove Off-Topic 139 11-23-2005 06:29 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome