Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Large Weapons Cache found in Iraq, traceable to Iran

FOXNews.com - U.S.: Large Cache of Weapons Discovered in Iraq Traceable to Iran - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
BAQOUBA, Iraq — U.S. and Iraqi forces have seized a large weapons cache that includes parts for sophisticated roadside bombs that are believed to originate in Iran, U.S. military investigators said.

Military officials said that the arsenal is one of the biggest found north of the Iraqi capital and contains components for so-called EFPs — explosively formed projectiles that fire a slug of molten metal that can penetrate armored vehicles.

The U.S. military has said elite Iranian corps are funneling EFPs to Shiite militias in Iraq for use against American troops.

Earlier this month, U.S. officials showed reporters in Baghdad pieces of EFPs they said were directly traceable to Iran.

An informant tipped off Iraqi police to the weapons stash Saturday, the military said in a statement. It was discovered near Baqouba, the provincial capital of Diyala province, about 35 miles northeast of Baghdad.

A military official declined to link the weapons to any particular militant group, but said the cache was found near a village where the Mehdi Army militia of anti-American Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr are strong.
Remember all those Iraqis who hate us and want us to die, who think we're murderers, who demand we leave their country immediately?

Well, one of them dropped a dime on the real bad guys. They must not trust us at all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I was divin' for dimes on the cheesy side of town just the other day...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Well, I guess you have to start somewhere, and as long as more people living in the area realize the presence of such weapons endangers the lives of their loved ones, maybe the Iraqis themselves can regain control of their lands. But, touting what was found as a large weapons cache is a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?

The next paragraphs in the article note only some of the materials needed to make the EFP's, estimated to be enough for 150 or so of those items, were found, along with a single completed bomb. That, along with more than two dozen mortars and 15 rockets. See below for the article's actual wording. I think it may have been more useful to watch the cache to find out who was working on assembling those bombs, who was supplying the raw materials, and especially the copper discs. Given what the items are actually made from, what about these parts is uniquely from Iran?

Jim

"Along with the EFPs, the weapons cache contained more than two dozen mortars and 15 rockets. There were enough metal disks to make 130 EFPs, the military said.

The origin of the weapons seized Saturday was being investigated, said Lt. Col. Michael Donnelly, spokesman for Multinational Division-North.

"This local tip led to what is the most potentially lethal IED cache seized in northern Iraq in the past eight months," Donnelly said.

The weapons were discovered under tarpaulins and in two large freezers and a water tank buried in a palm grove. One completed bomb was found as well as around 150 copper discs — the key component of EFPs — rolls of electrical wire, plastic pipes to use as casings, ball-bearings and batteries.

One U.S. official said the use of a narrow tube attached to the bomb as a simple sighting-device to aim it was characteristic of Iranian-linked devices used by militant group Hezbollah in Lebanon in recent years. "
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim, I don't think it was important for them to capture the ring of people involved as long as this collection of WMD links Iran somehow for a "justified" strike.
What our deciders are looking for right now are not the real criminals but ways to start a bombing campaign against Iran. It's just a matter of convincing the usual crowd that "you see we are right after all". Of course when the bullshit unravels it will be too late as usual.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am convinced. let's roll and as a matter of fact here is my plan: i say we send kamil over to tehran to terrorise the fuckers. LOL

in political asylum
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
i am convinced. let's roll and as a matter of fact here is my plan: i say we send kamil over to tehran to terrorise the fuckers. LOL
Yeah did he not say he wanted some slaves? Well here is his opportunity
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hahaha good one.

in political asylum
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Is it the lies?
Is it the style?

It's a mercenary territory
I wish you knew the story
I've been out here so long dreamin up songs
I'm temporarily qualmless and sinking

I've did my time in that rodeo
It's been so long and I've got nothing to show
Well I'm so plain loco
Fool that I am I'd do it all over again

Is it the style?
Is it the lies?
Is it the days into nights
Or the "I'm sorry"s into fights

Now some kind of man, he can't do anything wrong
If I see him I'll tell him you're waiting
'Cause I'm devoted for sure but my days are a blur
Well your nights turn into my mornings

Well I did my time in that rodeo
Fool that I am I'd do it all over again

Is it love keeps you waiting so long
Makes you say I'll see you around
The forces that be, they just don't see
While your nights turn into my mornings

Is it the style?
Is it the lies?
Is it the days into nights
Or the "I'm sorrys" into fights

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
[Remember all those Iraqis who hate us and want us to die, who think we're murderers, who demand we leave their country immediately?

Well, one of them dropped a dime on the real bad guys. They must not trust us at all....
I am not so sure that this proves anything more than the Iraqis want EVERYONE the F out of their country. I think they just want outside influence to get the Hell out.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Info or 'finds' based on intelligence / sources huh?
In the old days, when friend or foe was easier defined, when say M16's were found, I would have guessed it was the KGB, and with AK's probably the CIA.
Black or white thinking doesn't work here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in