This is wrong on so many levels. - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:41 PM
guage

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein
ok time to go to the dump have to dump the garbage.today.
back in a few hours.
Don't you recycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
wow i didnt know that i had an 81 chevette and an 85 and there was no option of diesel as dad would have insisted on it .
i wonder if it was a us only option .
gm had had a bad run with thair oldsmobile diesel and i think they were a little gun shy about offering it again.

but still check your stash it might be catnip .
Next time I'm at the farm auction, I'll let you check out the stash yourself. I want to stay straight in case there is a bidding war.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM
dklein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207
Next time I'm at the farm auction, I'll let you check out the stash yourself. I want to stay straight in case there is a bidding war.
i dont get into bidding wars i wait till theyre done then last second i up the bid , this usually works for me besides i find its cheaper that way .some guys are stupid at an auction they pay mor for used junk than they would for new.
have an amount in your head and be prepared to walk away .
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
dklein

Quote:
Originally Posted by guage
Don't you recycle?
we dont have curbside pick up there are only 20 farms on the street and its 10 miles long so we go to the transfer station, its a mile away
hell we re cyko everything ,
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoseyman
read.
that was a fun read. It taught me a great deal about differences between a southern redneck and an upper Midwest white trash (the subject matter of this book).

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
First there is not enough leaf spring to handle the suspension.
That's why the shackles are there.

Quote:
Second, the bondo on the rear wheel well does NOT MATCH the spackle on the garage.
It's still fresh. It takes a couple of good weather events for the bondo to acquire the proper patina.

Quote:
Third, somebody needs to "waller out" the wheel well, eliminating that tacky bondo and providing clearance for the tires.
That should happen shortly after the shackles fail.

Quote:
Fourth, Dig, you should have been helping the misses up in the luvette instead of taking the picture.
Do I need to keep pointing out the obvious? I already mentioned the basket of eggs. This pic was taken after returning from the market. She's climbing DOWN from the luvette. Why waste energy when gravity is there (it already has a head start on the jeans) to do the job faster and easier?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch207
Who's smoking what? My colleague had a Chevette diesel. Put off a lot of smoke.

Diesel Chevette World + Chevette Tech !! Bob Watts

Annual changes
1978: Slightly modified grille with a grid design, grille and headlight frames chromed, a 5-door model on a longer wheelbase was added, gas cap door added, the 1.4 L engine and "woody" pack were dropped.
1979: Holley 2-barrel carburetor now standard on all models. Front fascia face-lifted. Hood now flat, no longer wraps down to bumper; large chrome grille with new-style square headlights.
1980: Rear fascia face-lifted. Squared-off hatch, wraparound taillights with black frames, turn signals built in with brake light. Round gas filler door now made from plastic.
1981: New style steel wheels, "dog dish" hubcaps discontinued. US models received a new Computer Command Control feedback system on gasoline engines. Pontiac T1000 introduced which shared all body stamping with the Chevette, and had a black grille and standard chrome trim around the side windows. Diesel engine first listed as option in late 1981. 3.36 axle ratio introduced.

1982: Diesel engine now optional (1.8 L Isuzu unit). 5-speed manual transmission now optional on gasoline-powered cars (standard with diesel). 5-door Scooter optional for the first time. GM THM180C (THM200C for diesel model) is now offered as the standard automatic transmission, which includes a locking torque converter for greater fuel mileage.
As mentioned elsewhere, I purchased the '79 Scooter. Liked it so much I went back for the Isuzu diesel model. With the price of diesel lower at the time than unleaded regular and the huge difference in mileage, the diesel actually paid for itself over the life of the car. I was young and foolish though. Unschooled in the ways of the rubber timing belt. At 125K, I peeked inside the upper cover and saw a 3 inch hunk about a third of the way into the belt's width was missing. I buttoned up the cover and we drove it until it broke at 175K. D'oh. That's when I first learned about 'interference engines'.

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Picture caption:

Ya might be a redneck if you can't reach your car's seat without a ladder
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 AM
dklein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmenow
As mentioned elsewhere, I purchased the '79 Scooter. Liked it so much I went back for the Isuzu diesel model. With the price of diesel lower at the time than unleaded regular and the huge difference in mileage, the diesel actually paid for itself over the life of the car. I was young and foolish though. Unschooled in the ways of the rubber timing belt. At 125K, I peeked inside the upper cover and saw a 3 inch hunk about a third of the way into the belt's width was missing. I buttoned up the cover and we drove it until it broke at 175K. D'oh. That's when I first learned about 'interference engines'.
they dont work too long after that belt lets go now do they
so how far did you get 2 maybee 3 hundred feet
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
they dont work too long after that belt lets go now do they
so how far did you get 2 maybee 3 hundred feet
That would be an optimistic estimate. I thought it would be like the '79. That belt broke and I just put another one on and it drove for years until the shock towers rusted out (NON interference engine). I put a new belt on the diesel and the engine just spun over freely. I took the valve cover off and EVERY bolt that held the overhead camshaft in place was cracked, split or yanked out of the threads of the bolt hole. The cam shaft was bent. I stripped the chrome bumpers and grill off the diesel and put them on the Scooter. It looked a little better.

Last edited by Digmenow; 02-25-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in