McCain Lets Loose on Rumsfeld, Will Bush Be Next? - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 AM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Cheney Chastises McCain

By: Mike Allen
February 21, 2007 10:34 AM EST
AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais
url:
COMMENT PRINT EMAIL RECOMMEND
Digg Shown on del.icio.us del.icio.us See Whos Talking About This on Technorati Technorati I've Reddit reddit

President Bush and Vice President Cheney both say they have sworn off commenting on the ’08 race, so their words are being parsed for glimmers of their view of the race to succeed them. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was at odds with this president for years but has emerged as the most fervent backer of the White House Iraq policy of any high-profile official outside the administration.

But Cheney made it clear during an interview with ABC News Wednesday that he was none too pleased with McCain’s declaration on Monday at a retirement community near Hilton Head Island, S.C.: "I think that Donald Rumsfeld will go down in history as one of the worst secretaries of Defense in history.” McCain was greeted with applause.

Rumsfeld was forced from his job after November's election. Cheney, who was defense secretary under President George H.W. Bush, from 1989 to 1993, said at a Pentagon ceremony honoring Rumsfeld upon his departure in mid-December: "I believe the record speaks for itself: Don Rumsfeld is the finest secretary of Defense this nation has ever had."

The vice president is on a week-long trip to Japan and Australia and gave a 10-minute interview to ABC’s Jonathan Karl aboard the USS Kitty Hawk, docked off the coast of Tokyo at Yokosuka Naval Base in Japan. Here is their exchange about McCain:

Karl: “You probably heard John McCain again come out and say that your friend Donald Rumsfeld is perhaps the worst secretary of defense ever. What do you make of that?"

Cheney: “I just fundamentally disagree with John. John said some nasty things about me the other day, and then next time he saw me, ran over to me and apologized. Maybe he'll apologize to Rumsfeld.”

Karl: “So what's your take on where Secretary Rumsfeld fits in?"

Cheney: “I think Don's a great secretary. I know a little bit about the job. I've watched what he's done over there for six years. I think he did a superb job in terms of managing the Pentagon under extraordinarily difficult circumstances. He and John McCain had a number of dust-ups over policy, didn't have anything to do with Iraq -- other issues that were involved. John's entitled to his opinion. I just think he's wrong.”

Karl: “I know we're just about out of time, but I wanted to clarify: Senator McCain had said that the problem with President Bush is he listened to you too much. So this is what he was apologizing to you for?”

Cheney: “Yes, yes.”

Karl: “What did he say?”

Cheney: “Well, he came up to me on the floor a couple of days later, the next time I was on the floor of the Senate, said he'd been quoted out of context, and then basically offered an apology which I was happy to accept.”

In January, McCain had told Roger Simon, chief political columnist of The Politico, during an interview at his Senate office: "The president listened too much to the vice president . . . Of course, the president bears the ultimate responsibility, but he was very badly served by both the vice president and, most of all, the secretary of defense."

Asked if he admired Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., for refusing to apologize for her 2002 vote to authorize the use of force against Iraq, the vice president started to answer but then demurred. “I'm not going to get involved in the presidential campaign,” he said. “The president and I have both sworn off commenting on the give-and-take of the campaign in both parties. It's already well under way and so I'll withhold comment for now.”

Similarly, Bush said jokingly at his East Room news conference last week after a question about Democrats: “I'd just like to establish some ground rules here with those of you who are stuck following me for the next little less than two years: I will resist all temptation to become the pundit-in-chief and commenting upon every twist and turn of the presidential campaign. As much as I like politics, and I'm intrigued by the race … I won't comment.”

The vice president, did, however take a shot at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Earlier, during remarks at a rally for troops on the Kitty Hawk, Cheney had said, to applause: “I want you to know that the American people will not support a policy of retreat. We want to complete the mission, we want to get it done right, and then we want to return with honor."

Karl said during the interview: “You just made a very clear statement in your speech saying the American people do not support a policy of retreat.”

“I believe that,” Cheney said.

Karl pressed: “Is that policy that we hear from the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi -- from other Democrats, is that a policy of defeat?”

The vice president replied: “Yes.”
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Ah yes Chenny will be cool with McCain as long as he bows down and apologizes

Fear Chenny or else

Carl Rove will take care of it
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You know there would be no problem except the obvious one if the adminastration had only listened to the guy in Maryland with his so called, "The Professor Plan"
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would say for the most part, there isn't anyone in this country who gives a shit what Cheney has to say. The man is a national joke, a human punchline.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
You know there would be no problem except the obvious one if the adminastration had only listened to the guy in Maryland with his so called, "The Professor Plan"
do you have a better one? No, then grow some balls and throw one for us to tear it apart
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:52 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
I would say for the most part, there isn't anyone in this country who gives a shit what Cheney has to say. The man is a national joke, a human punchline.
You should bow down and kiss the holy ground DIck Cheney walks on for providing you the holy water you put in that guzzler you drive.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
You should bow down and kiss the holy ground DIck Cheney walks on for providing you the holy water you put in that guzzler you drive.
Huh? There is no evidence Cheney has had a positive influence on the either the price or availability of that holy water to the consumer in the US since being appointed to the job by the Supreme Court. In fact, invading Iraq likely put the availability more at risk than it has been since the last holy water embargo. Continuing with Cheney's "lets not seek a diplomatic solution" approach with Iran may very well make holy water much more scarce and sacred for a long time to come. Jim
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
More from the Weepublican's Best and Brightest:

"I believe the record speaks for itself: Don Rumsfeld is the finest secretary of Defense this nation has ever had." Cheney Feb 21 2007.

Is this the same Cheney who testified that Iraq would be a "slam dunk"? Is this the same Rumsfeld that designed and approved the battleplan for the last four years of Iraq? Would this be the same Cheney and Rumsfeld who said in 2002 that Iraq would cost $15Billion TOPS?

Cheney is so full of shit, I am surprised the USS Kitty Hawk was large enough to hold him.

His HUBRIS has more blood on it that anyone except Bush's.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
That's about all you got. In the battle of intellect, you couldn't lick the sweat off my balls.
Sparkling intellect, paired with often flowery eloquence in this thread, has left me invigorated to face another day.
Thank you Gentlemen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in