Minimum wage increase - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 PM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Isn't your min. wage age related/adjusted ?
deathrattle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
Isn't your min. wage age related/adjusted ?
Not the federal minimum wage. There are at least 50 additional sets of laws that follow that one. Some cities have set minimum wages, too.

In my town the starting wage for even fast food restaurants is above fed minimum wage--the job market is very tight. A bit over 4% unemployment. I read in the local paper recently that de facto minimum wage here is about $8/hr.

There is huge pressure on skilled labor wages here, even though there are very few unions with any power. The job market is so tight that if you're a good welder right out of trade school you'll start at nearly $15/hr and enough overtime to run your ass into the ground. offshore welders and divers make a lot of money. When you consider how low the cost of living is, that is a damned-good starting wage. Keep the oil prices up and the labor market down here will only get tighter. The major oil companies and the indies are pumping huge amounts of money into exploration and extraction. Huge. That's why FTL still has a job.

B
Botnst is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Not the federal minimum wage. There are at least 50 additional sets of laws that follow that one. Some cities have set minimum wages, too.

In my town the starting wage for even fast food restaurants is above fed minimum wage--the job market is very tight. A bit over 4% unemployment. I read in the local paper recently that de facto minimum wage here is about $8/hr.

There is huge pressure on skilled labor wages here, even though there are very few unions with any power. The job market is so tight that if you're a good welder right out of trade school you'll start at nearly $15/hr and enough overtime to run your ass into the ground. offshore welders and divers make a lot of money. When you consider how low the cost of living is, that is a damned-good starting wage. Keep the oil prices up and the labor market down here will only get tighter. The major oil companies and the indies are pumping huge amounts of money into exploration and extraction. Huge. That's why FTL still has a job.

B
Good welders are in high demand, and the market will soon reflect it . . . . "Golden arms" will be able to knock down six figures with a modest amount of OT.
edfreeman is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
~BANNED~
 
deathrattle's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Location: Head in the clouds
Posts: 11,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^^

Ah yes, it's simple here too!!!

The National Minimum Wage will increase again in October 2006

The minimum wage is a legal right which covers almost all workers above compulsory school leaving age. There are different minimum wage rates for different groups of workers as follows:
  • The main rate for workers aged 22 and over is currently set at £5.05 an hour. On 1 October 2006 this will increase to £5.35
  • The development rate for 18-21 year olds is currently set at £4.25 an hour this will increase to £4.45 on 1 October 2006
  • The development rate for 16-17 years olds. This rate is £3.00 an hour. This will increase on 1 October 2006 to £3.30 an hour
  • On 1 October 2006 the rate of the accommodation offset will increase to £29.05 per week (£4.15 per day). The current rate is £27.30 per week (£3.90 per day)
It is important to note that these new rates only apply to pay reference periods beginning on or after the date they came into law.
16 and 17 year olds rate
The Government accepted the Low Pay Commission's recommendations for a new rate for 16 and 17 year olds (above compulsory school leaving age)* in their 2004 report.
  • £3.00 per hour from 1 October 2004. This will increase to £3.30 in October 2006.
NB: 16 and 17 year old apprentices are exempt from the young workers rate.
*Compulsory School Age
  • In England and Wales: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the last Friday of June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.
  • In Northern Ireland: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the 30th June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.
  • In Scotland: pupils whose 16th birthday falls between 1st March and 30th September may not leave before the 31st May of that year. Pupils aged 16 on or between 1st October and the last day of February may not leave until the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.
Fair Piece Rates

From October 2004, the Government proposed that employers have to pay their workers the minimum wage for every hour they work or a fair piece rate initially set at 100% of the minimum wage. The rate was increased to 120% of the minimum wage in April 2005 at which point most homeworkers will receive the minimum wage.
To check on how the National Minimum Wage applies to your staff, telephone the National Minimum Wage Helpline on 0845 6000 678.
This document based on Crown Copyright © 2005
deathrattle is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Teaching is a great profession but it pays minimum wages
DP is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Teaching is a great profession but it pays minimum wages
The teacher I regularly have sex with makes about $43k per annum. Not sure how much the state pays her.

B
Botnst is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:08 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
The teacher I regularly have sex with makes about $43k per annum. Not sure how much the state pays her.

B
Damn maybe I should give it up and make some $$; you pay well Bot. I can be yours for just 40K; just tell me what you're into
DP is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattle
^^^^^^

Ah yes, it's simple here too!!!

The National Minimum Wage will increase again in October 2006

The minimum wage is a legal right which covers almost all workers above compulsory school leaving age. There are different minimum wage rates for different groups of workers as follows:
  • The main rate for workers aged 22 and over is currently set at £5.05 an hour. On 1 October 2006 this will increase to £5.35
  • The development rate for 18-21 year olds is currently set at £4.25 an hour this will increase to £4.45 on 1 October 2006
  • The development rate for 16-17 years olds. This rate is £3.00 an hour. This will increase on 1 October 2006 to £3.30 an hour
  • On 1 October 2006 the rate of the accommodation offset will increase to £29.05 per week (£4.15 per day). The current rate is £27.30 per week (£3.90 per day)
It is important to note that these new rates only apply to pay reference periods beginning on or after the date they came into law.
16 and 17 year olds rate
The Government accepted the Low Pay Commission's recommendations for a new rate for 16 and 17 year olds (above compulsory school leaving age)* in their 2004 report.
  • £3.00 per hour from 1 October 2004. This will increase to £3.30 in October 2006.
NB: 16 and 17 year old apprentices are exempt from the young workers rate.
*Compulsory School Age
  • In England and Wales: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the last Friday of June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.
  • In Northern Ireland: a person is no longer of compulsory school age after the 30th June of the school year in which their 16th birthday occurs.
  • In Scotland: pupils whose 16th birthday falls between 1st March and 30th September may not leave before the 31st May of that year. Pupils aged 16 on or between 1st October and the last day of February may not leave until the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.
Fair Piece Rates

From October 2004, the Government proposed that employers have to pay their workers the minimum wage for every hour they work or a fair piece rate initially set at 100% of the minimum wage. The rate was increased to 120% of the minimum wage in April 2005 at which point most homeworkers will receive the minimum wage.
To check on how the National Minimum Wage applies to your staff, telephone the National Minimum Wage Helpline on 0845 6000 678.
This document based on Crown Copyright © 2005
We need to send out bureaucrats over to teach your bureaucrats some skills in incomprehensibility. Yours write as though they went to an English-speaking school. How did that happen? Have they no screening in England?

B
Botnst is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Inflated D's and C's means they should have gotten F's using an honest grading system rather than "No Child Left Behind".
So you are saying that there is widespread fraud on the part of teachers? They are passing students who are failing instead of admitting that the kids are failing?

We really need to crush the unions and get rid of these clowns.

I'd say lying about kid's grades is worse than cheating on an expense report. Fire the bums.
DaveN007 is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Teaching is a great profession but it pays minimum wages
Really?

In California, elementary school teachers average 53k to 71k a year (depending upon geography). The majority are so lazy that they don't take advantage of the opportunity to earn more by continuing education...which is really easy to do.

My mother retired 3 years ago as a first grade teacher. She chose to continue to take classes to increase her pay and retired at over $87,000 a year. She now gets 80 percent of that along with free health insurance...forever.

Oh yeah, she never paid a penny in SS taxes. And only worked 9 months a year.

Middle school and High school teachers make more.

Then there are the administrators.

We have 2500 that work for the UC system and make more than $250k a year...and pay no SS taxes...and retire at 80 perecent...

Most teachers get paid more than what they are worth. You see that anywhere there is a strong union.

Prof, if you are toiling in obscurity for slave wages it must be for the love of it.
DaveN007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Horsepower increase? Mileage increase? dantefr W140 S-Class 29 06-13-2007 05:24 PM
    Lawmakers also vote to lift minimum wage and lower estate taxes guage Off-Topic 38 07-31-2006 02:26 PM
    Wow-do I got woad wage or what? deathrattle Off-Topic 42 01-06-2006 12:28 AM
    Why do models make more than minimum wage? GeeS Off-Topic 22 09-14-2005 04:39 AM
    minimum wage MRTIKKET Off-Topic 36 03-13-2005 08:41 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome