Leader of the Free World gives speech warning of the agression of a dangerous Power - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Leader of the Free World gives speech warning of the agression of a dangerous Power

And the rest of the world applaudes in agreement:

Putin: U.S. pushing others into nuclear ambitions
POSTED: 10:17 p.m. EST, February 10, 2007
MUNICH, Germany (AP) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday blamed U.S. policy for inciting other countries to seek nuclear weapons to defend themselves from an "almost uncontained use of military force."

The stinging attack underscored growing tensions between Washington and Moscow.

"Unilateral, illegitimate actions have not solved a single problem, they have become a hotbed of further conflicts," Putin said at the Munich Conference on Security Policy, an annual forum attracting senior officials from around the world.

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way."

The Bush administration said it was "surprised and disappointed" by Putin's remarks.

"His accusations are wrong," said Gordon Johndroe, President Bush's national security spokesman.

However, the White House did not respond in kind.

"We expect to continue cooperation with Russia in areas important to the international community such as counterterrorism and reducing the spread and threat of weapons of mass destruction," Johndroe said.

Putin attacked Bush's administration for stoking a new arms race by planning to deploy a missile defense system in Eastern Europe and for backing a U.N. plan that would grant virtual independence to Serbia's breakaway province of Kosovo.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, who was also attending the conference, described Putin's remarks as "the most aggressive speech from a Russian leader since the end of the Cold War."

The United States and an increasingly assertive Russia repeatedly have butted heads during the past year, with Vice President Dick Cheney accusing Moscow of using its energy resources as "tools of intimidation or blackmail."

Washington also has been angered by Russia's reluctance to impose meaningful sanctions against Iran, which is accused of seeking to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian atomic energy program.

On the other hand, the United States and Russia have been cooperating in trying to negotiate an end to North Korea's nuclear weapons program. (Watch what North Korea is after )

'A world of one master, one sovereign'
But Putin said it was "the almost uncontained hyper-use of force in international relations" that was forcing countries opposed to Washington to seek to build up nuclear arsenals.

"It is a world of one master, one sovereign. ... It has nothing to do with democracy. This is nourishing the wish of countries to get nuclear weapons," he said.

"This is very dangerous. Nobody feels secure anymore because nobody can hide behind international law," Putin told the gathering.

Putin did not mention the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, but he voiced concern about NATO's expansion plans as possible challenges to Russia.

"The process of NATO expansion has nothing to do with modernization of the alliance or with ensuring security in Europe," Putin said. "On the contrary, it is a serious factor provoking reduction of mutual trust."

On the missile defense system, Putin said it would seriously change the balance of power and could provoke an unspecified "asymmetric" response.

On Kosovo, Moscow has said a solution imposed against Serbia's consent could serve as a model for other separatist provinces elsewhere in the world.

Washington supports Kosovo's independence and says the issue is not related to situations in other countries.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates had little to say about the accusations, remarking only that Putin "was very candid."

NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said he was disappointed by Putin's criticism about NATO expansion. "Who can be worried that democracy and the rule of law is coming closer to somebody's border?" he asked.

Minutes before Putin spoke, German Chancellor Angela Merkel -- whose country holds the European Union's rotating presidency -- had praised Russia, saying it would be a reliable energy supplier to Europe.

"How relations between the EU and Russia evolve will have a crucial impact on how security in the region will develop," Merkel told the conference.

Russia's reputation as a supplier of natural gas to the West was damaged in the past three years when it halted supplies to Europe through main pipelines crossing Belarus and Ukraine because of pricing disputes.

Iran says its nuclear program is no threat
Merkel also said that the international community is determined to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. Tehran needed to accept demands made by the U.N. and the International Atomic Energy Agency, she said.

On the sidelines of the conference, Iranian nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani defended his country's nuclear program as peaceful, saying: "We are no threat to our region or other countries," while indicating a willingness to return to negotiations. (Watch Iran's nuclear plant at work )

Heading into the conference, Larijani, who is scheduled to speak on Sunday, said he planned to use the conference as an opportunity to talk about Iran's nuclear program. Those would be the first talks with Western officials since limited U.N. sanctions were imposed on the country in December, which fell short of harsher measures sought by the United States.

Larijani was expected to meet with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier and Javier Solana, the EU's chief foreign policy envoy.

At the opening dinner on Friday, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni urged international solidarity in putting pressure on Iran to prevent it from producing a nuclear weapon.

"It is a regime that mocks the Holocaust while threatening the world with a new one, while trying to develop a weapon to do so," she said. "Iran is a threat not only to Israel ... but to the world. The international community cannot show any hesitation ... Any hesitation on our part is being perceived as weakness."

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Um, yea the word Democracy in the same sentence used to describe the Russian leadership...well thats a joke.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
No doubt Bush provided Iran and N. Korea with grave cause to defend themselves.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The actions of the US are making Putin look like an angel in comparision. The title 'leader of the Free World' is a lying joke when applied to Bush, and he brought that on himself.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-10-2007, 09:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
The actions of the US are making Putin look like an angel in comparision. The title 'leader of the Free World' is a lying joke when applied to Bush, and he brought that on himself.
Well last time I checked Bush did not put someone like Mr Moore in jail, not so much can be said for the head of yukos or whatever it is that oil giant.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
No, he just set up systematic torture in Iraq and a gulag of secret prisons where we deny basic rights to people accused of crimes. Even his own Secretary of Defense admits it:

Gates: Prisoner scandals hurt U.S. reputation

(AP) Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Sunday that prisoner abuse scandals in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay and other mistakes have damaged America’s reputation, and work must be done to prove the U.S. is still a force for good in the world.

And in a carefully worded rebuke, he used both humor and some pointed jabs to blunt Russia’s sharp attack against U.S. foreign policy a day earlier.

In remarks before a prestigious security forum, Gates dismissed as dated Cold War rhetoric Russian President Vladimir Putin’s charge Saturday that the United States is seeding a new arms race.

A day after Putin blamed U.S. policy for inciting other countries to seek nuclear weapons to defend themselves, Gates responded: “As an old Cold Warrior, one of yesterday’s speeches almost filled me with nostalgia for a less complex time. Almost.”

Then, as the audience chuckled, he added, however, that he has accepted Putin’s invitation to visit Russia.

“We all face many common problems and challenges that must be addressed in partnership with other countries, including Russia,” said Gates, delivering his first speech as Pentagon chief. “One Cold War was quite enough.”

CLICK HERE FOR RELATED STORY
Putin: U.S. intervention pushes others to seek nukes

We 'have made some mistakes'
While he did not mention the war in Iraq, he told a conference of top security officials from around the world that the U.S. has to do a better job of explaining its policies and actions.

For the last century most people believed that “while we might from time to time do something stupid, that we were a force for good in the world,” Gates said.

And while he said a lot of people still believe that, he added, “I think we also have made some mistakes and have not presented our case as well as we might in many instances. I think we have to work on that.”

Gates also made an urgent call for NATO allies to live up to their promises to supply military and economic aid for Afghanistan, saying that failing to do so would be shameful.

The bulk of his speech was devoted to the future of the NATO alliance, and the need to work together to defend the trans-Atlantic community against any security threats.

He struck a familiar theme — one he pressed during a NATO defense ministers meeting this week, when he urged the allies to follow through on their promises to help secure and rebuild Afghanistan.

“It is vitally important that the success Afghanistan has achieved not be allowed to slip away through neglect or lack of political will or resolve,” Gates said. Failure to muster a strong military effort combined with economic development and a counternarcotics plan “would be a mark of shame,” he said.

Gates also sketched out the challenges ahead, from Iran’s nuclear ambitions and the situation in the Middle East to China’s recent anti-satellite tests and Russia’s arms sales.

Just eight weeks on the job, Gates used the conference and a NATO gathering earlier in the week to introduce himself to the international community and meet privately with a number of defense ministers.

Diplomacy test
In other comments, he said the Bush administration would like to close Guantanamo Bay detention facility, but there are a number of serious and committed terrorists there that should never be let free. And he said detainee trials there will be conducted openly and with adequate defense for them.

Referring to problems the U.S. has had convincing other countries to accept some detainees, Gates said the issue is a difficult problem the nation will continue to work through.

Delivered amid growing tensions between the U.S. and Russia and to an audience including many Iraq and Afghanistan war skeptics, the speech was the first public test of Gates’ diplomatic skills. It came at a venue that at times had been dominated by his more bombastic predecessor, Donald H. Rumsfeld.

So as he neared the end of his remarks, Gates made a deliberate move to separate himself from Rumsfeld and any lingering discord.

In the run-up to the Iraq war, Rumsfeld sharply criticized nations opposed to the conflict — specifically France and Germany — referring to them as “Old Europe.”

Without mentioning Rumsfeld’s name, Gates said some people have tried to divide the allies into categories — such as east and west, north versus south.

“I’m even told that some have even spoken in terms of ’old’ Europe versus ’new,”’ Gates said. “All of these characterizations belong in the past.”

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Russia is a far better place to live then the U.S. is. FoTL should move there and see how much better for himself.
I'm sure that the remnants of the KGB will not bother him when he posts the same crap about Putin that he does about Bush............ How 'bout it FoTL you up for it or are you just blowing smoke up everybody's ass again. I hear that there are lots of those hot Russian babes up in Siberia to keep you warm while you serve your time in a REAL Gulag.

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Back In The U.S.S.R. Lyrics

(Lennon/McCartney)

Oh, flew in from Miami Beach B.O.A.C.
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.S.R. (Yeah)

Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.
Back in the U.S.
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

Aw come on!
Ho yeah!
Ho yeah!
Ho ho yeah!
Yeah yeah!

Yeah I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

Oh, show me around your snow-peaked mountains way down south
Take me to your daddy's farm
Let me hear your balalaika's ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
Hey you don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Oh let me tell you, honey
Hey, I'm back!
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
Yes, I'm free!
Yeah, back in the U.S.S.R.

Ha ha
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
Russia is a far better place to live then the U.S. is. FoTL should move there and see how much better for himself.
I'm sure that the remnants of the KGB will not bother him when he posts the same crap about Putin that he does about Bush............ How 'bout it FoTL you up for it or are you just blowing smoke up everybody's ass again. I hear that there are lots of those hot Russian babes up in Siberia to keep you warm while you serve your time in a REAL Gulag.
Speaking of first hand experience?

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How good is our Government? You dip shit Repuke morons can decide for yourself.

ABC News: Report Says Pentagon Manipulated Intel

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in