Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
That is a plain Jane Infiniti G35 Coupe. It has a Nissan badge on the grill.
They look kinda cute in my rear view mirror, especially after they've tried to race me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Looked a lot like that but he had removed the Nissan emblem on the grill and had a rear spoiler. I didn't even have a clue until he passed me and I saw the S K Y L I N E across his trunk lid.
A lot of younger crowd put the S K Y L I N E badge on the back of their G35. Most of the the kids in my NationalG Club had that done. I think it cheapens the car, but that is just my opinion.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Membership withdrawn by request

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: A red Vimana
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Ah, now we continuously duped Americans can finally have an overweight, power sapping awd, stylistically challenged, tremendously over rated Japanese pseudo sedan here. I do not think I could be more underwhelmed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carmonkey.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	115766  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
Ah, now we continuously duped Americans can finally have an overweight, power sapping awd, stylistically challenged, tremendously over rated Japanese pseudo sedan here. I do not think I could be more underwhelmed.
I agree on some counts, but...

Power sapping AWD?

The GTR will be delivered with 450 to 500HP and provide 911 Turbo perfomance for half the price. I will bet that there will be a waiting list for at least a year. My brother has a 997TT and it is AWD. I have never met a person who thought it was "Power sapped".

I have always considered Japanese cars as "cars for people who don't like cars", but the Skyline makes up for it with driveability. They throw every gadgemotronic device in there and make it easy to drive at the limit. You might not like them, but they are a performance enthusiast's car and a tuners dream. I will guess that for less than $10k you will be able to crank 700HP at of one of those things.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^^

Amen.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Yeah, good point Dave. AWD is tremendous off the line, especially on the street. Used to be every serious street racer modded a first generation Mistubishi Eclipse for very little money, and ran 12's at the strip. Can you say 1.6 second 60' times, ON THE STREET?

OBK #35

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
AWD is only good in racing for off the line traction, after that it sucks in nearly all applications. Takes about 30 to 50 hp away as compared to a two wheel drive car. The only people who do not know this are the ones with no REAL top end racing experience, only trackies or silly circle jocks. Do not take my word for it go and find out for yourself. I have seen stock 6 spd C5 corvettes take 993 turbos from anything above 60 mph. The 997 I believe has a new type awd that literally uncouples the front transaxle so the parasitic loss from that is moot. Nver seen a 997 race so couldn't say, although power to weight it is still at a loss to a lowly chevy.
My daily driver is awd. It is a STS4 and I appreciate awd for inclement weather traction. That is the full extent of benefit, not handling, and definitely not speed. Mercedes knows that and does not place awd on any high performance model. Awd on a high performance application is just for clutch killing, one time magazine number antics. I remember thinking how fast the WRX Sti was when it passed me on the interstate in my lowly '04 SL500, then I reeled it in as it lost basically all acceleration capability above 135mph. By the time I hit 150 mph he was 15 car lengths behind and falling fast.

Last edited by Shane; 02-07-2007 at 05:33 PM.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN007
The GTR will be delivered with 450 to 500HP and provide 911 Turbo perfomance for half the price. I will bet that there will be a waiting list for at least a year.
The press release HP figure was impressive. But waiting list for a year? I doubt it. You have to look at the demographic of the buyers. The car is rumored with a price tag of $85K and will be badged as Nissan. How many people will pay that much for the Nissan badge? Let alone being serviced by Nissan dealers? Secondly, people who drool all over the GT-R are mostly the recent Civic ricer graduates, and how many of them can afford a $85K car? Thirdly, those who can afford the price tag will not easily buy into a Japanese rice rocket. They don't have the track record, heritage, and history here in the U.S. Heck, I never heard of SKYLINE till I own a G35. Look at NSX, I doubt they could have sold that many units if it was sold with a Honda moniker. The way I see it, Nissan will lose lot of money if it is a mass production car because many will be sitting in the dealer's lot. That leaves them the only option, make it a limited production car.

Another thing about the GT-R. It has been on the drawing board since 2002. Much of its appearance had been "borrowed"by others. For example, the big fish mouth of the front. Look at what Audi/VW did with it. The side vent behind the front wheels, look at Mazda RX-8.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 02 G500
Send a message via AIM to Kerr Send a message via Yahoo to Kerr
a good friend of mine has a R34 GTR skyline. its pretty cool
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 09 W211 Black 06 CLS500 Alabaster White
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau
The way I see it, Nissan will lose lot of money if it is a mass production car because many will be sitting in the dealer's lot. That leaves them the only option, make it a limited production car.
According to Nissan it will be a limited production car only 1200 units / year. There will be an Infiniti G37 coming out as soon as they introduce the GTR. Unfortunately, the Infiniti line will not get the rumored TT setup that the GTR will have. I know a few people that already put some money down on the first batch of GTR's that will be coming to the US. And yes without knowing how the car would look like after final assembly. It will be a hot selling item for Nissan I think it will hurt the Infiniti line more than anything.

Of course not to be out done Toyota will introduce the new Supra rumored to be a monster when it comes out. Goodness know what they will come up with and what HP ratings will be going with the new beast.

Acura already said the next generation NSX will be a V10. All this big time players in the Japanese automobile industry are making the exotic coupe very interesting.

I cannot say I won't ever buy one, but the thought is always lingering in my mind.

13 C250 Sport Polar White
13 G37S Journey Moontlight White
12 G37S Journey Platinum Silver (sold)
09 E350 Sport Black (sold)
06 CLS500 Alabaster White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in