LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
Do have a clue as to the difference in the operating costs of a Gulfstream and even something as "small" as a Boeing 737? Damn man wake up!
She IS in a place of power, and as much as I hate to say it, with things as they are now, a Gulfstream is reasonable. If she can fit her family it it good for her, but that should be the limit. If it's good enough for the corporate types it should
be good enough for her.
The President and Vice Pres. don't always use the 747, but when they go somewhere the prestige is important for all of us.
and if Hastert flew coach and she got a Gulfstream you'd be screaming at the top of your lungs about how expensive a Gulfstream is to operate. It's all just empty posturing.

Forum killa

You have been banned for the following reason:
insulting mod

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
As I noted earlier, I am of the opinion that all politicians should fly commercial. About ten years ago I got to sit with a CT Senator once, but gave up my seat at his request to let his staffer sit with him, flying from Hartford to Washington. So, I know they used to do it. Same with House Representatives members from CT back then.

However, if you have the costs for operating a Gulfstream G500 or G550 to compare to operating costs for a Boeing 737-300 or 400 it would be interesting to understand the differences. I believe the Gulfstream G500 and G550 have the range, but possibly not the capacity to handle the staff of the Speaker of the House, and a representative cross section of the press. I doubt any of you conservatives would be happy to see Faux News excluded from her desire to do business in the open just because there aren't enough seats on the luxury corporate jet she leased.

Actually these days I doubt many Senators and Congressment use commercial air lines. I would guess chartering a private jet is accepted practice for most Senators, Congressmen and staff. Jim
post #33 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
Which party would that be? I've never endorsed or condoned corruption, and just for the record, I'm for Pelosi flying coach as well. But for you to jump all over her for this, and not respond to the horrendous corruption from the GOP I raised in counterpoint says more than your pathetic excuse that you haven't been here very long.
Your retort is what is pathetic. I did not say you "endorsed or condoned" corruption for that record. And how can I respond to the "horrendous corruption" lump ass statement, would you like to be a wee bit more specific????? I could ask the same of you, how do you not respond to the horrendous corruption of the democrat party??!!

Pathetic indeed.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #34 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
uhhhhhhh..........
What was the point of all those photos? Are you suggesting there are not many, many elitist officers of companies with equally impressive salaries, homes and other conspicuous consumption icons, like Gulfstream G500's who are Republicans? Another disappointing, kind of gratuitous red meat post to the right wingers, Cuban. One step forward, two steps back. Jim
post #35 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
As I noted earlier, I am of the opinion that all politicians should fly commercial. About ten years ago I got to sit with a CT Senator once, but gave up my seat at his request to let his staffer sit with him, flying from Hartford to Washington. So, I know they used to do it. Same with House Representatives members from CT back then.

However, if you have the costs for operating a Gulfstream G500 or G550 to compare to operating costs for a Boeing 737-300 or 400 it would be interesting to understand the differences. I believe the Gulfstream G500 and G550 have the range, but possibly not the capacity to handle the staff of the Speaker of the House, and a representative cross section of the press. I doubt any of you conservatives would be happy to see Faux News excluded from her desire to do business in the open just because there aren't enough seats on the luxury corporate jet she leased.

Actually these days I doubt many Senators and Congressment use commercial air lines. I would guess chartering a private jet is accepted practice for most Senators, Congressmen and staff. Jim
Private jets like the one you mentioned can cost between $3,500 and $5,000 per flight hour to operate. Those are real costs, not fluffy 'man-hour' backwards math crap, and assume that you own the plane. Doesn't take a lot of private cross-country flights to start making commercial look viable. At even $1,000 per ticket to fly commercial (nobody pays that kind of money to fly anymore), you better be able to stuff more than 10 people on the plane each trip to justify the costs. Most private jets aren't designed to accommodate very much luggage for that many people...meaning pack light.

That said, there are probably quite a few people in congress who can afford to pay their own way. Certainly nobody begrudges that. It's the position that she's entitled to the Air Force as her personal trans-continental valet that is galling. How the hell can you expect the common, working man to relate to you when you're arguing for use of taxpayer-funded aircraft to usher your family about?

I have the feeling that these types of expenditures and perks are some of the dirty little Capitol Hill secrets that our congresspeople are happy to keep on the QT.
post #36 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
What was the point of all those photos? Are you suggesting there are not many, many elitist officers of companies with equally impressive salaries, homes and other conspicuous consumption icons, like Gulfstream G500's who are Republicans? Another disappointing, kind of gratuitous red meat post to the right wingers, Cuban. One step forward, two steps back. Jim
Maybe, but I'm willing to bet none of them are as stupid or as famous as the ones whose pictures I was able to gather in about 45 seconds of Google-Fu.
post #37 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
This request, from a person in her position, is unprecedented. It seems 'unethical' to leverage one's newfound stature to obtain perks not normally associated to their position, as a form of entitlement no less - openly or otherwise. An ethical person would ensure they avoid bringing upon themselves the appearence of impropriety, and would certainly seek no privilege not offered them.
Well, how does one determine what perks are normally associated with one's position? Is flying around the country something that was allocated by the Constitution? How about internet service? Or those giant freaking staffs these people employ? I would venture that the men who wrote the Constitution didn't even figure these bozos should have a horse to ride around town that was provided by the federal governement. Yet they have government provided limos, drivers, and so forth. I think they get these perks by asking, and it has been part of Congress's history to ask for new items when they become available. Like Blackberry's and Bluetooth crap. When did having that stuff become "normally associated" with the positions of those who have them in the federal government? While I stated I think they should be flying commercial, I find asking and making a case for the request out in the open not at all offensive. In the end it may just be the need for the Speaker of the House to remain available for classified meetings in support of national security that is the issue. I can imagine how upset you would be if she was reported to be discussing sensitive national security issues in coach on a 777 with 500 other random people around her, on one of those "airfones" which are probably very secure as well. Jim
post #38 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Maybe, but I'm willing to bet none of them are as stupid or as famous as the ones whose pictures I was able to gather in about 45 seconds of Google-Fu.
Sounds like you might enjoy starting your own thread dedicated to showing us as many of these stupid and famous people you can find over the next few days. Why not do that? I am sure some others here would find it as stimulating as you do. Jim
post #39 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Of course, if you don't have more money than them, it kinda takes the steam out of it...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #40 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
That's an awful long row to hoe...the point (unrefuted, thank you) was that it's pretty easy to find very prominent Democrat elitists - people who aren't particularly educated, aren't particularly smart, and who obtained their fame doing or are primarily known for doing something other than politics. With that prism, it's far easier to find Democrats than Republicans. Maybe it's fair, maybe it's not...so sue me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in