Edwards commits suicide by Mondale - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Edwards commits suicide by Mondale

Edwards: raise taxes for healthcare
Sun Feb 4, 2007 12:19 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic U.S. presidential candidate John Edwards on Sunday said that he would raise taxes, chiefly on the wealthy, to pay for expanded healthcare coverage under a plan costing $90 billion to $120 billion a year to be unveiled on Monday.

"We'll have to raise taxes. The only way you can pay for a healthcare plan that cost anywhere from $90 to $120 billion is there has to be a revenue source," Edwards said on NBC's Meet the Press news program.

The 2004 vice presidential nominee and former North Carolina senator said his plan would "get rid of George Bush's tax cuts for people who make over $200,000 a year."

He said the plan would also reduce healthcare costs.

"Finally we need to do a much better job of collecting the taxes that are already owed," he said, specifically targeting what he said are large amounts of unpaid capital gains taxes.

"We should have brokerage houses report the capital gains that people are incurring because we're losing billions and billions of dollars in tax revenue," Edwards said.

Offering a preview of his plan, Edwards said it aims to bring healthcare coverage to 47 million uninsured Americans, lower costs for the middle class and foster competition.

It would expand Medicaid, the state-federal health insurance plan for the needy, and offer subsidies for the uninsured. He said, "We ask employers to play a bigger role, which means they either have to have coverage or they have to buy into what we're calling health markets."

Without providing details, Edwards said his plan would create "health markets" nationwide. One choice available in the markets would be "the government plan, so people who like the idea of a single-payer health insurance plan, that is actually one of the alternatives," he said.

Edwards declared his candidacy in December calling for fewer U.S. troops in Iraq, a restoration of U.S. world leadership and an end to poverty.
Botnst is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Always Remembered RIP
 
cascade's Avatar
 
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Location: Grass Valley, N. Calif. / Gardnerville, Nevada
Posts: 10,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
He clearly does not understand that starvation is God's way of punishing those who have no faith in capitalism
cascade is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Edwards' theme has been one of 'sacrifice' all along. I'd just as soon kiss a sea urchin (any resemblance to Hillary is coincidental)...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
He clearly does not understand that starvation is God's way of punishing those who have no faith in capitalism
90% of people surveyed favor a tax increase on the other 10% . . . worst kind of socialism and politics there is, saying I'll buy you stuff by taking other people's money.
edfreeman is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
 
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Location: Inside my head
Posts: 36,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
90% of people surveyed favor a tax increase on the other 10% . . . worst kind of socialism and politics there is, saying I'll buy you stuff by taking other people's money.
Let's start a new socialist government program. Let's raise taxes on everybody that makes more money than me.

It's only fair.

Bot
Botnst is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
 
GeeS's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Location: Fountain Hills, AZ
Posts: 44,917
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
...or smoke more cigarettes than me...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
GeeS is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Location: City on the TN River
Posts: 10,692
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
In reality, it's an entitlement society. The not so fortunate see what the more fortunate have and they think they're entitled to it. The problem is that this kind of thinking continually shrinks the middle class income even further because the vast majority of liberals think the middle class doesn't pay enough in taxes. It's the redefinition of 'rich'.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 • 722.671 Rest in Peace

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
cmitch is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:25 PM
DP
Moderator
 
DP's Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Location: Chesapeak Bay
Posts: 64,125
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch
In reality, it's an entitlement society. The not so fortunate see what the more fortunate have and they think they're entitled to it. The problem is that this kind of thinking continually shrinks the middle class income even further because the vast majority of liberals think the middle class doesn't pay enough in taxes. It's the redefinition of 'rich'.


I am still waiting...
DP is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Moderately subtle
 
edfreeman's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 94 E500, 97 500SL
Location: Soddy Daisy, TN
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to edfreeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor


I am still waiting...
If we could all get one of those, I think we should raise taxes . . .
edfreeman is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Bruce R.'s Avatar
 
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Location: Near Washington, DC
Posts: 14,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor


I am still waiting...
The cost of those wheels alone could pay my mortgage for a couple of months, AT LEAST...........

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94


"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Bruce R. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    Worldiwde Suicide Qubes Off-Topic 11 01-23-2007 02:10 PM
    suicide doors Wan W201 190-Class 5 08-21-2006 11:25 PM
    Syrian Minister commits sucide theboss Off-Topic 7 10-14-2005 05:59 PM
    Good news for Kerry/Edwards voters engatwork Off-Topic 21 10-31-2004 07:51 PM
    Edwards prepares for debate FeelTheLove Off-Topic 1 10-05-2004 01:04 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome