post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Well, looking at 3-4000 cars in Super Bowl week traffic in the most affluent Bush supporting area of the country is not scientific [the results should actually have been skewed the opposite of the actuals] but the results were certainly surprising.

And as far as scientific polling, since most national polls only use 1000-1300 samples for their 3% variance and the number of statistical classes that I have either taken, taught or participated in, I feel pretty good about the validity of the sample pool. I would, however refer you to a couple of peers who have done political and corporate polling for the past 25 years. Right now, however they are working for the DNC so their dance card is a bit full.

But good deflection from the ACTUAL POINT...Rats abandoning the sinking ship.
For someone who likes to pretend he has half a brain, that is, w/out a doubt, one of the dumbest things even you have ever said! I have never had a political sticker on my car in my entire life, and never will muck up a good auto w/ that kind of crap regardless of candidate. Furthermore, no conservative w/ whom I associate ever would either. But it is interesting because a large number of liberal friends of mine--I actually do have liberal friends--do, in fact, like to put those stupid signs on theirs car's bumpers, fenders, windows, and any other place they will fit. Some put dozens on their cars. The only time I have ever had a bumper-sticker on one of my cars is when some drugged-up liberal put it there--and I subsequently removed it, which undoubtedly left a "tell-tail mark."

You've been spending way too much time in the FL sun! It is melting the last half of your brain...

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-05-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Condoleeza Rice has had around 2 years in this position, and certainly didn't inherit a trouble-free agenda.
To this point, Rice's tenure as Secretary of State has been long on procedural victories but short on substantive policy results. Her most clear-cut successes have been forging a strategic alliance with India and improving the U.S.'s tattered relationship with its European allies. "She's been a good diplomat in the true sense of the word, going around talking and listening," says Charles Grant, director of the London-based Center for European Reform. "Although America's image hasn't changed, she's blameless in that."

Rice's Toughest Mission -- Thursday, Feb. 01, 2007 -- Page 3 -- TIME
By the way, how did that whole North Korean thing work out that Madeline Albright was working on?
post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Condoleeza Rice has had around 2 years in this position, and certainly didn't inherit a trouble-free agenda.
To this point, Rice's tenure as Secretary of State has been long on procedural victories but short on substantive policy results. Her most clear-cut successes have been forging a strategic alliance with India and improving the U.S.'s tattered relationship with its European allies. "She's been a good diplomat in the true sense of the word, going around talking and listening," says Charles Grant, director of the London-based Center for European Reform. "Although America's image hasn't changed, she's blameless in that."

By the way, how did that whole North Korean thing work out that Madeline Albright was working on?
I'm just grateful Clinton didn't put Sandy Burglar in at State!

Don't believe everything you think

Last edited by Jayhawk; 02-05-2007 at 12:27 PM.
post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
For someone who likes to pretend he has half a brain that is, w/out a doubt, one of the dumbest things even you have ever said! I have never had a political sticker on my car in my entire life, and never will muck up a good auto w/ that kind of crap regardless of candidate. Furthermore, no conservative w/ whom I associate ever would either. But it is interesting because a large number of liberal friends of mine--I actually do have liberal friends--do, in fact, like to put those stupid signs on theirs car's bumpers, fenders, windows, and any other place they will fit. Some put dozens on their cars. The only time I have ever had a bumper-sticker on one of my cars is when some drugged-up liberal put it there--and I subsequently removed it, which undoubtedly left a "tell-tail mark."

You've been spending way too much time in the FL sun!
The DUMB part was setting in traffic coming back from the Keys on Wednesday and Thursday in the Miami area. They closed miles of roads down for the Super Bowl.

As for the stickers, up until the elections, most of the stickers we saw in the South were W or W Still... type of stickers. And yes, many of the BuckFush and counter stickers. I am with you on stickers. I don't have anything on my cars but my point was there were OBVIOUS former W stickers on many of the Benz and Caddies and TownCars. There were enough to make it a noticeable game.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor

Rice Porridge?

馬鹿は死ななきゃ治らない。

post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR

You mean the part where they stopped their nuclear program in 95 at the request of the Chinese due to the 6 party talks for six years? And then they started it again in 2001? Would that be the Albright work you are talking about?

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Wow - she got 6 nations to convince North Korea to halt a controversial nuclear program 2 - 3 full years before becoming Secretary of State. Pretty impressive.
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
North Korea has been a fiasco. The idea of 'six nations talks' as been widely criticized as the reason why, with Bush refusing to negotiate directly with the North Koreans. Also, were you drunk the week the North Koreans exploded an atomic bomb? That was a sure sign of success. And India? Who gives a fuck.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
You mean the part where they stopped their nuclear program in 95 at the request of the Chinese due to the 6 party talks for six years? And then they started it again in 2001?
Is THAT the party line? You can't be serious.

So according to the liberal bible, the weather...islamic terrorism...the price of gasoline...everything... was "children flying kites" freaking wonderful until the Booshieman seized power? North Korea didn't lie or cheat. Mosquitos didn't bite?

Of course FTL and the enermies of the US would hate our Secretary of State. He calls women who serve in the Bush Whitehouse "whores and cleaning ladies".

I am proud that such a brilliant African-American woman has risen to such heights now that the shackles of liberalism have been removed. The "second slavery" imposed upon the nation's African-Americans by the left was shameful. They can't hold down the human spirit forever, though. More African-Americans join the free world every day.
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Surely A Large Human

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
North Korea has been a fiasco. The idea of 'six nations talks' as been widely criticized as the reason why, with Bush refusing to negotiate directly with the North Koreans. Also, were you drunk the week the North Koreans exploded an atomic bomb? That was a sure sign of success. And India? Who gives a fuck.
North Korea has been a fiasco, mainly because the guy running the show over there (Kim Jung Il, PGA Golfer) is totally off his rocker. As is Ahmadinejad. As is Chavez. The ones who aren't crazy sure as hell have plenty to hide, and we're "fucking it up for everybody" by assuming elected officials will be straight shooters. Naive, to be sure, but consider this - no matter what Rice wants to do, ultimately it's the President that she reports to. It's 43 who says whether or not we talk to North Korea...it's 43 who sets the conditions. Rice could trump him, or blast him in the press, but she's far too smart (and classy) a person to do that. Nobody in politics bites the hand that feeds them or burns a bridge, nor should they.

Let's travel back in time about 6 years or so, and look at a very basic but very telling event - George W. Bush decided to run with Dick Cheney as his Vice-Presidential candidate. Why was that? It was because Cheney's experience would help fill in his own gaps. In fact, Bush's first term cabinet looked like the Ivy League Civil Service hall-of-fame. As the story goes, he was smart enough to know what he didn't know, and found the best people he could to fill in his weaknesses. Good leaders find good people, and let them do their jobs with the implicit trust that they'll do their jobs well. If you can't trust someone implicitly to do something important for you, then you don't hire them.

Sprinkle in a little bit of "power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely", and mix with Washington D.C. - the world's ultimate home court advantage - and what we likely have is a very good, honest person who became hamstrung by the people he trusted failing to live up to their promise and promises. George Bush never promised anyone that he's the smartest guy in the room. He is a good and decent person, and a great leader borne from a family of leaders. He was the right person for the job in a pre-9/11 world, and while his personal response to 9/11 was genuine and inspirational (he had Rosie O'Donnell in tears for Chrissake), it seems that dominoes started to fall as the entire nation & congress were caught up in the natural cycle of grief.

Call us whatever you want, but Conservatives like myself recoil at the naysayers frankly because we're a little bitter - not because of critics being right, but because they have valid points for the wrong reasons. We are probably most bitter that W's vision for the nation went largely unrealized, and that what appear in hindsight to be so many wrong turns ultimately were taken. We're bitter that this very good man, ultimately, may not be remembered as a great man, and that it's very unlikely that Bush the man is to blame for anything worse than implicitly trusting people who lost their way. Republicans are coming out of the "Depression" stage and entering the "Testing" stage, maybe a little more slowly than Democrats or the American mainstream.

Time for a group hug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in