post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
So where are all our "libertarians"? Silent as usual. Bush's directive places the principle of "commisars' into US law. Where is the outrage from Botnst? Is he much too busy with his tuna? Perhaps the misfiling of charity paperwork has taken his attention away, it is obviously more important than placing Soviet-style government in place here in America. All hail Chairman Bush!
Yep, three days, no response. Cowards.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
They are busy trying to find the silliest retort possible so that 2+2 will appear to equal 5.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Yep, three days, no response. Cowards.
Say, what?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Like the Greek poet, I am unable to find one honest Libertarian.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Oh yeah? Yo mama's a Republican and yo daddy's a bullfrog. I'm right here. Bring it on mofo.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you're no libretarian man. you seem to actually care about the little guy. sorry.

in political asylum
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Fuck the little guy, how's that? I guess you weren't paying attention when I advocated (and still advocate) a flat federal tax (and I don't mean a tax rate).

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quite frankly, I didn't read this thread when first posted because most of the time I find FTL's diatribe's tedious and needlessly contentions and his responses to criticism unpleasantly abusive--as when he responded to my non-response, above.

Okay, so now I have read it.

I've been dealing with gov censorship of gov science since 1993. This is a bureaucratic change, not a change in policy.

Probably not what you're looking for huh?

Yes, it sucks. What I was told (recently) during a meeting between scientists and the regional administrator who will oversee this office was, "Look at your W-2." In other words, the terms of employment are clear and if you don't like it, hit the road. Is that different from private industry? The reason all of the politicians are panty-wadded about gov science is pretty obvious. Politicians speak for the government, not some eggheaded nobody. When the scientists undermine or contradict the politicians they get all bent out of shape. That's fine with me, except the scientist better not be wrong.

For example, a number of years ago a gov research office published a series of maps of the northern coast of Alaska and showing the location of calving areas and oil industry infrastructure and some model outputs that indicated various probability matrices concerning the impact of exploration and production on the migratory caribou herd. It made a big stink while the senate was going through one of it's many paroxysms over ANWR. It seemed to indicate that teh caribou herd would be tragically impacted.

But wait a minute --> the scientist who was modeling the migratory patterns didn't send the outputs for internal peer review (wherein you get other scientists who know something to review the methods, procedures, results and conclusions). In fact, that research scientist was still working on the model and had no intention of releasing the maps until his project was farther advanced and properly reviewed. It turned-out that his GIS technician had been posting intermediate model results on a website without the knowledge or approval of the research scientist -- effectively misrepresenting the scientists research while pulling a landslide of political criticism down on everybody.

The GIS tech was fired and the scientist was chastised for not exerting greater control over his tech. That's as it should be. The downside has been reverberating ever since. Worse, every time a gov scientist releases info that undermines policy the politicians remember the other events. Yes, there have been others, including outright fraud by gov scientists.

I think the current system is way, way too burdensome. It provides a de facto censorship because scientists vett their work for policy implications. Why risk a firestorm from above? Finally, one of the unintended consequences of Gore's "re-inventing government" was to actually increase political interference with gov science in the name of making scientists accountable and responsive.

Got a perfect solution? I don't.

B
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
... during a meeting between scientists and the regional administrator who will oversee this office was, "Look at your W-2." In other words, the terms of employment are clear and if you don't like it, hit the road. Is that different from private industry?

... That's fine with me, except the scientist better not be wrong.

For example, a number of years ago a gov research office published a series of maps of the northern coast of Alaska and showing the location of calving areas and oil industry infrastructure and some model outputs that indicated various probability matrices concerning the impact of exploration and production on the migratory caribou herd. It made a big stink while the senate was going through one of it's many paroxysms over ANWR. It seemed to indicate that teh caribou herd would be tragically impacted.

But wait a minute --> the scientist who was modeling the migratory patterns didn't send the outputs for internal peer review [ the regional administrator? ] ...

The GIS tech was fired and the scientist was chastised for not exerting greater control over his tech. That's as it should be. The downside has been reverberating ever since. Worse, every time a gov scientist releases info that undermines policy the politicians remember the other events. Yes, there have been others, including outright fraud by gov scientists.

I think the current system is way, way too burdensome. It provides a de facto censorship because scientists vett their work for policy implications. Why risk a firestorm from above? (Chicken) Finally, one of the unintended consequences of Gore's "re-inventing government" was to actually increase political interference with gov science in the name of making scientists accountable and responsive.

Got a perfect solution? I don't. (Real Science)

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in