Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfreeman
And another thing . . . it would be extremely stupid to take an issue like global warming and blindly accept one path just because a majority of scientists accept a particular theory as correct. It wouldn't be the first time that a majority of "experts" on any particular subject have been dead wrong (see FTL's examples above on the world being flat, the sun revolving around the earth, etc.). To dismiss conflicting opinions/information when there is so much at stake environmentally and economically would be the dumbest thing we ever did.
Note that I didn't say that either side is full of shit, so don't put words in my post. I am unimpressed by the fact that a majority of scientists believe in one particular theory, and believe that they can ignore the conflicting data and theories just because they know they're in the majority.
"Continuing with our media analysis: On July 24, 2006 The Los Angeles Times featured an op-ed by Naomi Oreskes, a social scientist at the University of California San Diego and the author of a 2004 Science Magazine study. Oreskes insisted that a review of 928 scientific papers showed there was 100% consensus that global warming was not caused by natural climate variations. This study was also featured in former Vice President Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth,” however, the analysis in Science Magazine excluded nearly 11,000 studies or more than 90 percent of the papers dealing with global warming, according to a critique by British social scientist Benny Peiser.

Peiser also pointed out that less than two percent of the climate studies in the survey actually endorsed the so-called “consensus view” that human activity is driving global warming and some of the studies actually opposed that view."

- Sen. James Inhoffe, R. Oklahoma
Some light reading for those who think people with opposing views must either be "balls of dick snot", "idiots", 'ostriches', or equivalent to "Holocaust deniers".

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...9-68c808e8809e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: '83 240D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's beyond me why anyone would take the word of a politician, let alone an idiot like Inhoffe.

OBK #35

post #33 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Inhoffe (RWNJ), Senator from Jesusland

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #34 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Some light reading for those who think people with opposing views must either be "balls of dick snot", "idiots", 'ostriches', or equivalent to "Holocaust deniers".
Any scientist who came out and said "global warming is caused by human activity" would be a piss-poor scientist. That would be directly counter to the scientific method.

Climatology isn't well known enough to be able to make definitive claims. It probably won't be for years. I would be willing to stake my next paycheck on the huge majority of those 11,000 papers saying something along the lines of "the data available to date suggests that human activity may have some level of impact on global climate, although the exact nature of that impact can not, at this time, be fully understood".

And that would be the most definite any decent scientist would be willing to state it. However, if I'm driving down the road and smoke is coming out from under the hood, I don't wait until I get unimpeachable evidence that there is, in fact, something wrong with my engine. I stop the car and take a look.

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.
Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Juvenis quod fanaticus nunquam concilio usus quod proditus
post #35 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:15 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinSoCal
Any scientist who came out and said "global warming is caused by human activity" would be a piss-poor scientist. That would be directly counter to the scientific method.

Climatology isn't well known enough to be able to make definitive claims. It probably won't be for years. I would be willing to stake my next paycheck on the huge majority of those 11,000 papers saying something along the lines of "the data available to date suggests that human activity may have some level of impact on global climate, although the exact nature of that impact can not, at this time, be fully understood".

And that would be the most definite any decent scientist would be willing to state it. However, if I'm driving down the road and smoke is coming out from under the hood, I don't wait until I get unimpeachable evidence that there is, in fact, something wrong with my engine. I stop the car and take a look.
post #36 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Reading some of the posts, here is my new business venture, a sure winner.
Attached Images

post #37 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like Grandpa.
Not screaming, like the people in his car.

Juvenis quod fanaticus nunquam concilio usus quod proditus
post #38 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
post #39 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:29 PM
CH4S Artist

Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
GW's press conference with the kids

Bush goes to a primary school to talk to the kids to get a little >> PR. After his talk he offers question time. One little boy puts up his
hand and George asks him his name.
"Stanley," responds the little boy.
"And what is your question, Stanley?"
"I have 4 questions:
First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN?
Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes?
Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden?"
Fourth, why are we so worried about gay-marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance?"
Just then, the bell rings for recess. George Bush informs the kiddies that they will continue after recess.
When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right, question time. Who has a question?"
Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name.
"Steve," he responds.
"And what is your question, Steve?"
"Actually, I have 6 questions.
First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN?
Second, why are you President when Al Gore got more votes?
Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden?
Fourth, why are we so worried about gay marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance?
Fifth, why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early?
And sixth, what the hell happened to Stanley?"
post #40 of 116 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
^^^^^^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in