I am cooler than you are..Just look at my new heatsink.. - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
of which only one is a legitimate licensed copy that serves as the master template for the rest of pirated copies.
Nope.

The master copy was stolen from Redmond during Worldwide Developers conference.
Then it was cracked to never expire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
My month old computer seems obsolete just about now. Mostly the friggin graphics card...I can't play good games on this computer.
I've had mine for 4 years and it's still going strong I'm only just now finding that I can't run things like the new splinter cell only because of the exclusive chipsets they use rather than a lack of power, but I think I will look at a new PC in the next 6 months to get ready for Vista once all the bugs are sorted.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:35 AM
worst mod in BW history

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: ML CLK Iridescent Hyundai Accent lol,GoPed Freightshaker & Volvo semi's, c'mawn?
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
I've had mine for 4 years and it's still going strong I'm only just now finding that I can't run things like the new splinter cell only because of the exclusive chipsets they use rather than a lack of power, but I think I will look at a new PC in the next 6 months to get ready for Vista once all the bugs are sorted.
4 years????? dude, no disrespect but after 4 years your shit sucks, trust me.

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
My home PC is pre-9/11...runs Quicken, Outlook Express and Firefox just fine, which is all we really need. HP can definitely make a PC that lasts. I'm in the trade though, so my work system is no more than 2 years old at any given time. Up next is probably the IBM T60 w/ SXGA+ 15.4" widescreen.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 11:25 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1993 W201 190E 1.8i
Quote:
Thats not alot of processing power, but then macs seem to run slower clocks just fine.
True.
I was running a Titanium 1GHz G4 PB with 1GB RAM for 3 years, working on TIFF files as big as 350MB in Photoshop 7.0, and it was solid as a rock. I beat the crap outta that machine, it cost me £2100GBP new and i still sold it for £400GBP.
My current Alu PB is pretty fast, but it's nice to hop on my friend's G5 Quad 2.5GHz (6GB RAM!) once in a while. You take a massive performance hit buying a notebook, it's pretty sickening buying a new one because you know you need the portability.

As for Windows Vista, it sounds like too little too late.
This is from Apple's own 'Apple Hot News' RSS feed:

I praise Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system, and I also curse it.

Vista certainly is pretty. PC users long used to the dowdy Windows XP will do a double take at Vista's translucent images and groovy 3D effects. Vista also is crammed with powerful, useful new features, like lightning-fast file searching, photo organizing and movie-DVD burning.

But after waiting five years — as in half a decade — for this thing, I think I should get something revolutionary, a PC operating system so astonishing it makes the competition look laughably primitive. The almighty Microsoft made this, right? So Vista — being released to consumers Tuesday — has to be jaw-droppingly superior, right?

Well, it's not. Vista hardly rocked my world during weeks of testing. It's a fine Windows upgrade, but it's also a shameless rip-off (and not quite the equal) of another major operating system, Apple Computer's Mac OS X.

That begs the question: Why not just use OS X?

Those upgrading from XP likely will have to get a new computer anyway because Vista doesn't work properly on most older PCs. (See my recent column, "Take your time buying that new computer," for details on this.) So, instead of purchasing a Windows PC, they could — and typically should — get an Apple Macintosh computer running OS X.

Apple is about to release an OS X upgrade, nicknamed "Leopard," that will make Vista look archaic in some ways. But Vista does retain the upper hand in certain respects. Here's how the operating systems compare in essential categories:

Appearance. Vista looks amazing. Its windows cast subtle shadows and sport translucent borders, for instance.

But OS X has had eye candy like this for years. Oh, Microsoft throws in a few enhancements. Users can adjust the border translucency, for instance. But Vista is still only an OS X clone — and a slightly inferior-looking one, at that.

Finding stuff. With so many documents, pictures, video clips, e-mails and the like on today's computers, search is an essential feature. Thank goodness Vista is vastly superior to its XP predecessor in this way. Click the Start button and type your search queries into the window that appears just above. Presto! Your results appear in seconds.

Hmm, does this sound familiar, OS X users? That's right, the Spotlight search engine does the same thing.

Vista helps you keep track of stuff in other ways. If you start getting confused by all the windows that are open on the desktop, click Windows-Tab. Ta-da! Windows tilt slightly and group themselves together in an easy-to-skim Flip 3-D arrangement. That's handy but hardly new. The Exposé feature in OS X does pretty much the same thing.

You also can create intelligent Search Folders that automatically fill with data based on criteria you set. Cool, just like the Smart Folders in OS X.

More secure. Windows XP is notorious for its gaping security holes, which Microsoft has scrambled to plug in Vista. Whether it has succeeded remains to be seen — hordes of cybervillains will do their darnedest to compromise this version of the market-dominant Windows, as well.

Vista's safeguards do seem impressive, though. You can't install anything on a Vista PC without clicking through confirmation windows, for instance. Seem reasonable? Sure it does — OS X has boasted this feature for years.

Wid(gad)gets. So-called "widgets" or "gadgets" are everywhere. The miniapplications show weather forecasts, track packages and much, much more. And everyone from the Yahoo and Google search engines and the Opera browser maker to the TypePad and WordPress blogging services offer their own variations.

So do Windows Vista and OS X. Microsoft's gadgets could be called rip-offs of Apple's widgets. But, to be fair, OS X widgets are rip-offs of Konfabulator, a pioneering widget technology now part of Yahoo and dubbed Yahoo Widgets.

A boob tube. By now, you'd surely assume that I'd recommend avoiding Windows PCs like the plague. Far from it. Budget permitting, I'd own both a Mac and a Vista PC — the latter largely because of its "Media Center" capabilities.

These allow PCs with integrated TV tuners to work as TiVo-like digital-video recorders once connected to cable-TV feeds. I've used a Dell desktop PC with Vista for weeks to record "Heroes," "Jericho," "Smallville" and "Battlestar Galactica," and I'm thrilled at how well this works. While Media Center isn't new (XP versions have been available for years), it has been improved and polished in Vista.

Nothing on the Mac quite compares. You can't get Macs with integrated TV tuners, and TiVo-style features are available only via add-on hardware and software that are inferior to Vista's elegant, built-in Media Center features.

But beware: Microsoft's close ties with entertainment companies are painfully evident in some ways. You won't be allowed to burn certain Media Center recordings (such as PBS' "Prime Suspect") onto blank DVD discs, for instance.

Bonusware. Microsoft has bundled an assortment of useful programs with Vista, which means you won't have as urgent a need to invest in additional software.

Windows Photo Gallery has nice tagging and rating features, for instance. Windows DVD Maker (a companion to the old, scarcely improved Windows Movie Maker) is handy for burning family videos onto blank discs that are playable in any home DVD player.

But these programs are no match for what is available on any new Mac. Every Apple machine has iLife, a suite of interlocking programs for editing video, burning DVDs, organizing photos, composing music and even creating slick Web sites. These make Vista's offerings look insanely inadequate. New PCs do often include extra programs from third parties for enhanced capabilities, but a software hodgepodge doesn't have iLife's tight integration.

Vista also bundles in Windows Calendar, Mail and Contacts, which are rough equivalents of iCal, Apple Mail and Address Book on Macs.

What's next? Apple this spring will release OS X version 10.5 with advanced features that will leapfrog the just-released Vista.

While the new Windows has rudimentary data-backup capabilities, for instance, Leopard will include something called Time Machine that will transparently replicate data on a backup drive and allow for point-and-click retrieval of existing files (and even old versions of those files).

It's also important to note that Apple has offered OS X upgrades at roughly yearly intervals during the half-decade that Microsoft has labored on Vista. Apple is an innovation engine; Microsoft, not so much.

Bottom line. Get a Mac with OS X unless Media Center is a must-have, or if your home-computer needs are somehow Windows-specific. (It's important to note, though, that you can run both Windows and Mac OS X on recent-model Macs; See my recent column, "Enticing options cross PC-Mac Divide," for more on this.)

You likely wouldn't regret a Vista-PC purchase, but I'm betting you'll enjoy a Mac much more.

I'll never be a PC user, so tbh i couldn't care what Bill does next.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillKill
Only thing I've done is swapped out graphics cards and upped my HD space, I have no problems with running any kind of editing software or games. I'm not saying that it's the best ofcourse not computers move so fast but only now am I faced with a compelling reason to upgrade and thats both Vista and the new crop of direct X 10 games comming out. So as far as I'm concerned I built a good system that stood the test of time.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2001 Jaguar XJR, 1994 E320(sold)
Quote:
Im with you on this, I built an AMD machine with a ton of Memory(2gigs) 4 years ago as well and I too have only updated my graphics card, however its time for a new machine as the only decent graphics cards out now are PCI express...but it has held its own.

My Car WOO HOO...... Now SOLD
New car.... 2001 Jaguar XJR!!!!

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBenz94
Im with you on this, I built an AMD machine with a ton of Memory(2gigs) 4 years ago as well and I too have only updated my graphics card, however its time for a new machine as the only decent graphics cards out now are PCI express...but it has held its own.
Yea thats my only problem too, is that my old AGP slot is just not cutting it. I'm AMD too .

All I intend to do is buy a new main board processer and graphics card, and perhaps another HDD, then I will take across my TV, sound, network cards and my DVD drives etc into the new machine,
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
(Thread Starter)
You bloody amateurs just wait until I set up my new VGA card with my new heatsink and hook it up to my new 67" Sammy, which is going to be my display device.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
I played with Vista beta (Longhorn) about a year ago. Besides normal beta version bugs, it looked quite promising. Since then, I've built a new comp with AMD-64 and installed XP-64. There's some problems with lack of x64 drivers, but it's usually just small things like webcam (and nobody needs to see me anyway). Otherwise, I'm going to stick with x64 for a while. It's quite stable and I can multi-task without issue (burn CDs while working on other stuff).

Regarding the water cooled, I've never seen a viable reason for the extra cost or potential risk of leaking. A friend of mine has water cooled and I've yet to see a woman look at it and offer a blowjob because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in