I now know more about the JFK assassination than I ever thought I could. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I now know more about the JFK assassination than I ever thought I could.

From the 18th floor of our city view room in the Hyatt Regency/Reunion, we could look down on the entire downtown area of Dallas. With the few hours of spare time we had between NHL All Star events, we went on a foot tour of the immediate area. Since the JFK assassination is the first universal lilfe event marker for both of us, we went in search of Shane's house...

...just kidding. I mean, Dealy Plaza.

It was a scant 3 blocks from the hotel and I have to say, seeing the actual place that is seared into my memory from all that TV news coverage so long ago was very eerie. While the city of Dallas hardly acknowledges the event (there are ZERO markers anywhere in the area to inform you of the significance of the place), there is a very informative museum located on the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository which is the place where Lee Harvey Oswald shot from. Again...you have to know what you're looking for to even find the museum!

If you want the REAL story, however, go talk to the 'street people'. There are between 5 to 10 homeless looking people walking the area who will happily sell you pamphlets, tabloids, DVDs and magazines that will clue you in. I'm sure they were all standing on the Grassy Knoll that day if you ask them. They are well versed in the facts and quickly point out all the pertinent sites such as the grassy knoll, the picket fence, the manhole and of course, the 2 white X marks painted in the middle of Elm as it approaches the 'triple bridge' where the 2 shots hit JFK.

I don't know why but I always assumed that Jackie Kennedy crawled onto the trunk of the limo from confusion or fear but she was actually trying to retrieve a piece of her husband's head.

Like I said...more than I ever thought I could know.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I remember back in the 70's they cleared the whole area to test the assertion that Lee could not possibly get three shots off with a bolt action rifle in four seconds. I got to watch the whole thing from the 7th floor of the Texas Electric building. They put a Marine marksman (which is what Lee was) up there, drove a Limo down the street, and he put two bullets into the block of gelatin, and one into the watermelon stuck on top of it, in under four seconds with an Italian carbine, just like Lees, or hell, it may have actually been the same gun. The watermelon exploded all over the car, with a nice skull fragment chunk on the deck lid. I was totally shocked by the experience for days. Ever since that day I have been utterly convinced that Lee Harvey Oswald was the only gunman there. The test was later broadcast on a Walter Cronkite special that concluded he was the "lone gunman". It is still shown on the History Channel once and a while.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: