LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Hackers find key to DVD piracy
Some films in the new high-definition formats are being copied after software code is cracked.
By Joseph Menn, Times Staff Writer
January 26, 2007

The much-vaunted anti-piracy protection on the next generation of DVDs has been cracked, leaving films in the new high-definition formats vulnerable to copying.

Hackers have defeated the core means for protecting the medium seen by Hollywood as a major new source of revenue as growth of traditional DVDs has slowed.

An underground programmer this month released code on the Internet that would free some high-definition DVD movies from their digital handcuffs if a consumer also had a software key for that particular video.

On Thursday, backers of the anti-piracy technology confirmed that those keys were being posted on the Internet. Late in the day, keys for 35 titles, including "King Kong" and "World Trade Center," were available.

"Such unauthorized disclosures indicate an attack on one or more" of the high-end video players that use the anti-piracy technology known as AACS, for Advanced Access Content System, according to the website of the consortium of home-electronics, technology and entertainment companies backing the encryption system.

Copies of the pirated movies are flowing over file-swapping networks. AACS is the biggest part of the digital defenses for the two rival high-definition DVD formats: HD DVD and Blu-ray. These are expected one day to replace conventional DVDs.

Sales of both types of discs accelerated before Christmas, when the first Blu-ray players entered the market and new HD DVD players arrived as well. The players are expensive, at $399 and up, and film studios are just starting to release large numbers of titles at around $40 each.

These new discs offer dramatically improved picture quality and more interactive features.

AACS is controlled by entertainment firms including Walt Disney Co. and Time Warner Inc.; electronics makers including Sony Corp. and Toshiba Corp.; and technology powers Microsoft Corp., IBM Corp. and Intel Corp.

In its Web statement, the AACS group said the battle was far from over. Although it wouldn't give specifics, the group said it would explore "technical and legal measures to deal with the attack."

An executive at one of the member companies involved in the decision-making said the group might deactivate the model of player used in the hacking.

Although such a move would make life difficult for consumers and manufacturers, most studios have "grave concern that content is being unencrypted," said the executive, who asked that his name not be used because the group had not reached a decision on what action to take.

It would be up to the manufacturer to decide how to update its players. It could mail out discs with updated software or offer a patch for downloading over the Internet.

Movies that have been unlocked and distributed would remain available for free viewing, but new titles would have enhanced protection, the executive said.

"This may continue for some time, but this type of attack is unlikely to happen again," he said.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Gremlins Crack Copy Protections … Again

By Tom Zeller Jr.

Tags: business, hacking, hollywood, internet, media, movies, technology
dvdA hacker has demonstrated that the encryption scheme on high-definition DVD’s can be cracked. Is anyone surprised? (Photo: Reuters)

Demonstrating once again that even the best anti-copying schemes can succumb to the ravages of dedicated scofflaws who don’t quite subscribe to the same philosophy regarding intellectual property as, say, the movie and recording industries, a renegade programmer going by the name muslix64 has figured out a way to bypass the encryption on high-definition DVD’s and on another type of high-density optical media disc, known as Blu-ray.

In an interview posted this week to the digital media news site Slyck, muslix64 explained himself, and his motivations (the interviewer’s questions are in bold type):

The mainstream media tends to have many labels for you, i.e. hacker, cracker, pirate, etc., in response to your efforts. What would you call yourself and what would you label your efforts?

I’m just an upset customer. My efforts can be called “fair use enforcement”!

What motivated you to help circumvent the content protection scheme associated with HD DVD and Blu-ray?

With the HD-DVD, I wasn’t able to play my movie on my non-HDCP HD monitor. Not being able to play a movie that I have paid for, because some executive in Hollywood decided I cannot, made me mad …

After the HD-DVD crack, I realized that things were “unbalanced” by having just one format cracked, so I did Blu-ray too.

BBC News reports today that the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) Licensing Authority, which governs the encryption system, confirmed that it had been breached, but said the effects were limited:

The AACS group has admitted that a hacker had managed to decrypt some discs and other people were now able to make copies of certain titles.

The hacker … has been able to access the encryption keys which pass between certain discs and the player. Once those keys have been obtained the disc can be stripped of its encryption enabling the digital content to be played on any machine.

A spokesman for the AACS group said the large size of the files and the high cost of writable hi-def discs made widespread copying of the movies impractical.

The attacks on the new format echo the early days of illegal trafficking in music files, AACS spokesman Michael Ayers said.

However, Nicholas Deleon at Gizmodo, the gadget blog, points out that though the scope of this breach may be limited, there are plenty of busy beavers attempting to crack the encryption schemes open more widely.

“If the actual AACS copy protection hasn’t truly been cracked, then Hollywood & Co. don’t have too much to worry about just yet,” Mr. Deleon writes. “But with an entire community now working toward truly cracking the copy protection scheme, how long will this honeymoon last?”
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
As always, thanks for your thoughtful input Bot.

My take: AACS itself is not cracked per se. However, since all the kyes of the released titles are known, it will be next to impossible either recall all the existing titles or hide future titles from discovering.

They know what to look for now.

We are not laughing at AACS, we are laughing with AACS
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: