I got an advance copy of FTL's response to Bush's speech tonight - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:12 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Benz
Ok so your suggestion is strike these targets over there in the open with no cover but not those that are placed in cities? Hmm good idea if the US started waging war like that I know exactly where I would place all my troops and military targets. Precision weapons may be able to fly though someones window but they still have to have the power to destroy their targets. I think you also forget in war the primary goal is to destroy the enemy whilst minimising your own losses. That is the principle that was used for using atomic weapons in WWII and it holds true today.
Not sure where I read it but I am sure I have read that they use this strategy in Iran putting many of these nuclear facilities under ground near civilian populations living accomodations. I think Saddam did rhe same. So what should we do, aw no worries, FTL has got the master plan to destroy Iran and not hurt any civilians.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Not sure where I read it but I am sure I have read that they use this strategy in Iran putting many of these nuclear facilities under ground near civilian populations living accomodations. I think Saddam did rhe same. So what should we do, aw no worries, FTL has got the master plan to destroy Iran and not hurt any civilians.
He had a bunker under the hotel where all the press used to camp out.
post #33 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:21 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
He had a bunker under the hotel where all the press used to camp out.
The foreign press no doubt, that is classic.
post #34 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
The foreign press no doubt, that is classic.

"The Pentagon was again asked about targeting the missile that struck the hotel housing the press without warning."
post #35 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:45 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
"The Pentagon was again asked about targeting the missile that struck the hotel housing the press without warning."
Maybe the Pentagon was just lodging a protest or rebuttal about an arleir article that was written by one of the occupants in the hotel, or it could have just been a simple, explainable misunderstanding.
post #36 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so your suggestion is strike these targets over there in the open with no cover but not those that are placed in cities? Hmm good idea if the US started waging war like that I know exactly where I would place all my troops and military targets. Precision weapons may be able to fly though someones window but they still have to have the power to destroy their targets. I think you also forget in war the primary goal is to destroy the enemy whilst minimising your own losses. That is the principle that was used for using atomic weapons in WWII and it holds true today.
You guys keep overlooking the fact that the Iraqis posed no new, or immediate or other danger to the US in March of 2003, so bombing them, regardless of the locations of the "targets" picked by the US Military, was senseless. And, JE, yes, many photos of the atrocities in Vietnam were presented repeatedly to the public and to our government officials. For the same reason. If we were not on their land forcing our way of life on them, they posed no danger to the United States, which made killing innocent people and calling it "collateral damage" just as unacceptable as this misguided mission in Iraq.

The US Civil War was a completely different issue, as was WWI and WWII. The loss of innocent life is equally painful, but there was a very real danger being faced. When you bunch all this stuff together and don't do a little sorting based on logic and context upstream, it makes you seem, well, dull. Since you aren't it makes you seem duplicitous and purposely deceptive to stack up what you know are poor arguments just to add mass. Like the proverbial 400 page term paper of meaningless babbling that you suppose will be graded based on page count instead of content.

I fail to see how the logic of "Shock and Awe" was supposed to be an integral part of our strategy to win over the Iraqi people. Along with the rest of the blunders that Bush's team instigated. I also fail to understand this deathgrip on a strategy that relies 99.99999% on a military solution, when in all cases in the past this kind of situation calls for a diplomatic solution. When will we give the diplomatic solution equal billing? When will we spend equal resources trying to find an answer that doesn't involve shooting guns and firing missiles and killing our sons and daughters? Especially in light of how poorly the strategy that depends on a military solution is turning out. Jim
post #37 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
~BANNED~

Jim Smith, unfortunately we cannot turn back the hands of time so I beg that FTL, GSany other die hard Lib or even you Jim offer a good solution to unwind our position in Iraq without more loss of life and that Iraq (and more importantly their oil fields) does not fall in to the hands of Iran. How would anyone of you go about it. In 25 words or less.
post #38 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jim
"When you bunch all this stuff together and don't do a little sorting based on logic and context upstream, it makes you seem, well, dull. Since you aren't ......"

Poor homework. More revision required.
post #39 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
A stronger and more influential Iran was always an obvious outcome of this invasion. Some of us knew that, apparently some didn't. The only way out of that scenario requires a time machine.

JE, you're the one who has been pushing for civil war in Iraq, cheering unprovoked mass murder, pushing for a stronger Iran and N. Korea, and encouraging terrorism worldwide. How have you been doing this? By supporting the U.S. invasion of Iraq. If you did not realize that these were obvious outcomes of this invasion, that is your failing.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #40 of 152 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
A stronger and more influential Iran was always an obvious outcome of this invasion. Some of us knew that, apparently some didn't. The only way out of that scenario requires a time machine.
Actually GS, if we worked on that, and spent the resources we are dumping down the military only solution drain, we might either find a way to regain control, or we might figure out how to make a "Back to the Future" flux capacitor time machine. The sore point here is, we aren't even trying that avenue. Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in