S.F. Police picking on the Choir Boys - SFPD Under Fire Over Yale Choir Assault - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
S.F. Police picking on the Choir Boys - SFPD Under Fire Over Yale Choir Assault

Jan. 10 - KGO - There are new complaints that the San Francisco Police Department is mishandling the New Year's Eve attack on a Yale University singing group. Several of the young men went to the hospital with serious injuries. The I-Team first broke this story Monday.
There are questions about how police handled the case that night and how they're handling it today. This is blowing up into a national controversy about how San Francisco treated the best and brightest from Yale.
Video from YouTube shows the Yale a capella group, The Baker's Dozen, on the Los Angeles leg of their winter concert tour. They are there right now, recovering from the beating they got in San Francisco.
Wendy Soderburg, Hosted "The Baker's Dozen": "And I can't believe that the city hasn't stepped up to the plate and done something immediately about it."
Wendy Soderburg invited The Baker's Dozen to stay at her home over New Year's. She arranged a party in the group's honor hosted by her daughter and another recent graduate of Saint Ignatius Prep.
The trouble began when some Sacred Heart graduates crashed the party, and by many reports, became jealous at the attention the young men from Yale were receiving. They repeatedly tried to start a fight.
Sharyar Aziz: "We even told them, 'What are you trying to prove?' We have nothing to prove. We're not looking for a fight, this is borderline ridiculous."
Nineteen year-old Richard Aicardi, wearing a Santa hat at the party, called in reinforcements and a nearby surveillance camera caught one vehicle that brought some of the attackers. They ganged up on the members of The Baker's Dozen as they trickled out of the party.
Sharyar Aziz: "It just kind of seemed like forever while I was on the ground, getting kicked and assaulted."
Sharyar Aziz's jaw was broken in two places. He had to be rushed back to New York for reconstructive surgery. His jaw is wired shut.
Other members of the group suffered black eyes, scrapes, a severely sprained ankle and a serious concussion.
Police arrived and the dispatch sheet obtained by the I-Team shows they detained Sacred Heart graduates Brian Dwyer, Marino Peradotto, James Aicardi and Michael Aicardi. They apparently did not detain their brother, Rich Aicardi. Police let all the suspects go.
Dean Johnson, ABC7 Legal Analyst: "Police can arrest anytime that they believe have probable cause to believe a felony was committed."
Former San Mateo County prosecutor and ABC7 legal analyst, Dean Johnson, explains.
Dean Johnson: "They should have let the suspects sit in jail overnight and if these suspects are entitled to bail, if they're essentially good kids who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, if they have no records, if they're no danger to society, the judge on the afternoon arraignment calendar can sort all of that out later."
It especially troubles Johnson that the police failed to take photographs of the injuries. The couple who owned the home where the party took place took these pictures. And it bothers him that police failed to interview the victims.
Now, 10 days later, investigators are demanding that the young men pay their way back to San Francisco to be interviewed. One investigator told a parent, "the kids are affluent, so they can afford it." The Baker's Dozen's attorney says it's ridiculous.
Whitney Leigh, Gonzalez & Leigh Law Firm: "The notion that the police should now put the burden on the families or on these kids to fly back to San Francisco, a place they're now afraid to come to frankly, doesn't seem to make any sense to me."
Also today, a development that the police and mayor's office may not welcome -- former San Francisco prosecutor Jim Hammer has joined the team of attorneys for The Baker's Dozen.
Whitney Leigh: "He's got such great detailed expertise and knowledge, particularly about how the San Francisco criminal justice system is supposed to work."
We caught up to Chief Heather Fong this evening outside the police commission meeting. She defended her officers not arresting the suspects the night of the attack.
Heather Fong, SFPD Chief: "When they detained them, they identified those individuals, and when the officers tried to get information as to specifically what did the individuals do, where were the injuries, if there were injuries, there were no individuals who provided additional information."
But members of The Baker's Dozen tell the I-Team they did identify the suspects and were available just a few doors down the street and that the police knew that.

Fucking Gay Ruffians

abc7news.com: SFPD Under Fire Over Yale Choir Assault
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Always Remembered RIP
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
Anyone remember the Lesbian vs SFPD Bar fight?

It's kind of funny to read this. I worked for the SF Courts for many years and a lot of the names are familiar to me. I saw this in the sf papers too

The party took place at the richmond Dist. home of Reno Rapagnani, he used to be the head of the SFPOA (Police Officers Association)

Whitney Leigh and Matt Gonzalez used to both be SF Public defenders. Gonzalez was a SF member of the Board of Supervisors. (Both of them are excellent lawyers, Leigh is black and Gonzalez is Hispanic, was in the SF Greens party also)

Jim Hammer was a former top Prosecutor in the SF DA's office.....

This isnh't the first time questions hav arisen about the conduct of the SFPD office in investigations. The SFPD is a pretty large orginization, it has over 1200 officers in it, and it's a good force but from time to time some really strange things happen in the course of investigations. They do tend to cover up their own misdeeds and have continuously fought against the Citizens Review Boards that were set up.

I remember one incident that got a lot of play. An officer was going to get married, and he and some of his friends rented a motorized cable car and went to various bars out of uniform and off duty and drinking and raising hell.

Then they came out to the Richmond district, on Geary Blvd, a large commercial strip on the outskirts, and saw "Peg's Place" which was a well known Lesbian Bar, and decided to go in there. By then they were real drunk too. Said some not to nice things there.

They got a less than hospitable welcome, and were told to leave, and wouldn't and wouldn't you know, the owner told them "to leave or I'll call the Police!"

To which the reply was, of course, "We ARE the Police!!!"

One HUGE brawl ensued, and when the uniformed on duty Police came there, by all acounts the Lesbians were winning the fight!

They couldn't cover up that one up, it got lots of press. I think that was back in '79 it was long ago.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL sold:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are you sure the Yale a cappella group was not the Whiffenpoofs?

if so, they were definitely in the wrong City...

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: