BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: 1985 380SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomilla2.0
In short, don't blame the tool but blame your own lack of craftsmanship
If he's using a point and shoot, the tool is most certainly to blame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
Are Carl Zeiss lenses just a marketing gimmick, or are they actually good? I see them a lot on Sony's...
Their point and shoot lenses are largely gimmick, their SLR and rangefinder lenses are THE real deal.
post #73 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: C230
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike
Ok, now that I've made my smartass your question is too vague comment, it looks like you want to do happy snappy picies with a point and shoot? In that case, I don't know if there really is one best, it mainly comes down to personal preference. I will say this, in a point and shoot I would definitley want some sort of image stabilization (and not this marketing thing they made up called digital image stabilization) since point and shoot suck at high ISO's. Also, I wouldn't want more than 7MP in a point and shoot, and even that is a stretch, 5MP would be preferred.
well consider this...I had a camera that I had to use for photography in college, and it wasn't the point & shoot type... so I want a lil more than just simple, I want a camera that takes nice quality pics, not just for fun. I'm not talking professional either but in between I'd say.
post #74 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Ok, it's time for me to get serious about this question.

Are you willing to carry around an SLR? What's your budget? And would it be accurate to assume film is out of the question?

I make money selling photos (not a living, but money nonetheless), and I'm also something of a measurebater, so I am qualified to assist in this quest.
post #75 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Back to the question at hand, once you select the number of megapixels, and the lens(es) quality, there are a couple of other features that you might want to consider. For my daughter the next priority was to have a lithium ion rechargeable battery. Be wary of lots of megapixels for no money - typically you don't get rechargeable batteries and that ends up being a pain in the hiney, and you miss other features.

Another thing is being able to hook the camera directly up to a USB port on the laptop/computer where you store and work on the photos. Then you get into the rate at which you can take normal and flash pictures, which is really only an issue if you are going to photograph moving people or objects (like kids at sports events, or skiing, or cars at Indy...).

In general I am a believer in getting the most computer related devices/features/capacity as you can when you buy. This stuff only gets "bigger" over time and you find yourself unable to keep up. The chips in the digital cameras are like computers - they are getting faster, as are the interfaces with the storage media and flash equipment. So, shop carefully and purposefully. Jim
that's a good point about the moving objects because that's a big part to consider. so what camera is best for that?
post #76 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Please tell us you didn't PS your avatar...
I cannot change my avatar in Photoshop, Jay. Format is only supported for still GIFs.

If you were good in school you wouldn't ask questions like this.
post #77 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Ok, it's time for me to get serious about this question.

Are you willing to carry around an SLR? What's your budget? And would it be accurate to assume film is out of the question?

I make money selling photos (not a living, but money nonetheless), and I'm also something of a measurebater, so I am qualified to assist in this quest.

I've always wanted to make my photos postcards or something, any idea on how to do that? pm me if ya want.
but anyway, I'm looking in the $200-350 price range I probably don't need anything more than that for now.
post #78 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill_babe
that's a good point about the moving objects because that's a big part to consider. so what camera is best for that?
How moving? Photographing a football game? Or people walking? Address this and the other questions I asked in my other post.
post #79 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
How moving? Photographing a football game? Or people walking? Address this and the other questions I asked in my other post.
well hold on, I got some catching up to do
post #80 of 145 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill_babe
I've always wanted to make my photos postcards or something, any idea on how to do that? pm me if ya want.
but anyway, I'm looking in the $200-350 price range I probably don't need anything more than that for now.
Ah, 250-300...I recommend buying used either on evilbay or the buy&sell forum on fredmiranda.com, you'll get more for your money that way, though the hard part is fredmiranda is mainly slr's, and obviously you are not in that market.

Photos as postcards...I know SmugMug - The ultimate in photo sharing. Online photo albums, photo sharing, photo hosting and photo storage. (ok...wtf....all I did was type their website and it made that hyperlink...um...) can do that (if you sign up with them tell me first and I can save you $5), but they use ezprints for printing, and ezprints doesn't list that on their website so it must be outsourced. I'll see if I can find out who does it for them.

I can say this much, avoid the megapixel trap. What you want is a camera that has low (or lower at least) noise (grainyness) at higher ISO's. I have printed a 20x30" print from a 6MP camera, it came out fine, so I doubt you'll ever need more than 6MP. Ceteris paribus more megapixels means more noise.

I think a Canon G5 would fit the bill (no longer made, but I think they go used for your price range). Canon PowerShot G5 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review or is that bigger than you want? If you don't like to buy used from people, there's always keh.com that's a real store that sells used camera gear.

Last edited by marlinspike; 01-08-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in