post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
Oh Bot, you need to meet our revolutionary, he could not revolt against a fly.
I'm just willing to bet Marie and Louis said the same thing about their household help.

In my experience (not in your part of the world) the ruling and merchant classes of highly segmented societies are blind to the role they play in suppressing the underclass. That's fine, right up until it isn't. The most recent example in this hemisphere is in Venezuela. The poor got screwed for 200 years and finally got somebody in power that speaks to them, at the expense of the political and merchant class. That Chavez is a shallow man of limited vision means nothing, so long as he can ride the tiger. If he fails to deliver then the poor will turn their backs on him and choose somebody else who can deliver. The sad thing is that it needn't have come to this, had the ruling classes only chosen to do the right thing over the past 200 years.

In my estimation, you are living that same life. You will probably get away with it. Most people do. Unless the people realize they're getting intentionally screwed, then they often kill people. Sometimes in great numbers.

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We are not "getting away" with anything. I agree with your analysis above keeping the poor man stupid but that is done by the upper class Indonesians who do it to their own people. In fact we pay our staff 1.4 million Indonesian Rups a month where as if he was working for an Indonesian family his salary would between 400,000 to 700,000 Indonesian Rups. As well he get time off every month to go see his family, if working for an all Indonesian family he would recieve that time off once every 6 months if he was lucky. I hjave heard stories where some Indonesian even keep their house staffs travel documents and salary and if they are lucky they get their salary later some do not get it ever. Don't tell me I am lucky about getting away with something.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: