Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Don't spend it all at once...

From BBC News
UK settles WWII debts to allies

Britain will settle its World War II debts to the US and Canada when it pays two final instalments before the close of 2006, the Treasury has said.
The payments of $83.25m (£42.5m) to the US and US$22.7m (£11.6m) to Canada are the last of 50 instalments since 1950.

The amount paid back is nearly double that loaned in 1945 and 1946. "This week we finally honour in full our commitments to the US and Canada for the support they gave us 60 years ago," said Treasury Minister Ed Balls.

"It was vital support which helped Britain defeat Nazi Germany and secure peace and prosperity in the post-war period. We honour our commitments to them now as they honoured their commitments to us all those years ago," he added.

The last payments will be made on Friday, the final working day of the year.

Under the lend-lease programme, which began in March 1941, the then neutral US could provide countries fighting Adolf Hitler with war material.

The US joined the war soon after - in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbour - and the programme ended in 1945.

Equipment left over in Britain at the end of hostilities and still needed had to be paid for.

The US loaned $4.33bn (£2.2bn) to Britain in 1945, while Canada loaned US$1.19 bn (£607m) in 1946, at a rate of 2% annual interest.

Upon the final payments, the UK will have paid back a total of $7.5bn (£3.8bn) to the US and US$2 bn (£1bn) to Canada.

Despite the favourable rates there were six years in which Britain deferred payment because of economic or political crises.

There are still World War I debts owed to and by Britain. Since a moratorium on all debts from that conflict was agreed at the height of the Great Depression, no repayments have been made to or received from other nations since 1934.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 2004 CL500 2008 ML320CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If my math serves me, my share is $277,000 - wonder what do do with it?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: SLK32, ML430
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for posting the info. I was not aware you all were still paying on the debt.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 1992 W126 300 SE
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I watched this tonight :

BBC 4 9.00pm
Mortgaged to the Yanks
Documentary about Britain's multi-billion dollar debt to America from the end of the Second World War, which was eventually paid off at the end of 2006. Former ambassador Christopher Meyer explains where this debt originated from and discusses it with figures such as George Bush's special adviser Karl Rove and former Chancellors of the Exchequer Ken Clarke and Dennis Healey

I was absolutely fascinated. My high school history classes stopped at 1945 and political studies commenced with the 'Treaty of Rome' so I had a little knowledge vacuum regarding this topic. It would make a great movie. As a side issue, I never knew J M Keynes was a sausage-jockey either.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: