DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Why is Iran Seeking Nuke Power?

This is an interesting article that might shed a light about why Iran is aggressively seeking to "generate" electricity using nuclear power.

Quote:
Iran Oil Revenue Quickly Drying Up, Analysis Says

Associated Press
Tuesday, December 26, 2006; A09

Iran is suffering a staggering decline in revenue from its oil exports, and if the trend continues income could virtually disappear by 2015, according to an analysis published yesterday in a journal of the National Academy of Sciences.

Iran's economic woes could make the country unstable and vulnerable, with its oil industry crippled, Roger Stern, an economic geographer at Johns Hopkins University, said in the report and in an interview.

Iran earns about $50 billion a year in oil exports. The decline is estimated at 10 to 12 percent annually. In less than five years, exports could be halved, and they could disappear by 2015, Stern predicted.

Stern's analysis, which appears in this week's edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, supports U.S. and European suspicions that Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons in violation of international understandings. But, Stern says, there could be merit to Iran's assertion that it needs nuclear power for civilian purposes.

He said oil production is declining and both gas and oil are being sold domestically at highly subsidized rates. At the same time, Iran is neglecting to reinvest in its oil production.

Iran produces about 3.7 million barrels a day, about 300,000 barrels below the quota set for Iran by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries. The shortfall represents a loss of about $5.5 billion a year, Stern said. In 2004, Iran's oil profits were 65 percent of the government's revenue.

If the United States can "hold its breath" for a few years, it may find Iran a much more conciliatory country, he said. And that, Stern said, is good reason to delay any instinct to take on Iran militarily.

"What they are doing to themselves is much worse than anything we could do," he said.
Anyone still wants to go to war with Iran? Do you think we will be able to use their oil to pay for the expense of having gone there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1972 Mercedes 250 (/8) W114/M130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
why aren't they pumping the money back into the oil instead of the nukes? they may want nuke electricity but the first thing they'll do is get it on a warhead. then maybe make it a source of energy.

i'm not for invading them. we can't anyway.

in political asylum
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
If they go the warhead route they will be doomed to oblivion as a country. Not from war but from utter disembowelment from poverty and internal strife.
A nuclear weapon is not going to help them feed their people. Also as I said earlier in another post they would not be able to use it on Israel either.
I am absolutely certain that this threat that is being painted for us by the same clowns that got us into Iraq is just pure BULLSHIT. Yeah Iran may talk shit and threatens all it wants but it will never be capable of invading Israel. However it will be able to occupy half of Iraq because WE ARE giving it to Iran

Last edited by DP; 12-26-2006 at 02:04 PM.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

i must have missed your post earlier as i really don't see why they wouldn't lob one over to israel. it all kind of depends really. iran is sort of democratic so if the current lunatic get's kicked out in a few years, who knows what will happen. hopefuly the next guy will worry about his peeps. this guys doesn't and as long as he is in there, iran will try to arm itself and then lob one. i know you think they are rattling their saber and all and i agree for the most part but saddam did have a nuke programme at one point but the israelis nipped it in the bud. iraq's fatal mistake was annexing kuwait. i don't really see iran doing anything like that.. they have their hands all over the ME in other ways. they are way more of a threat then iraq ever was.

in political asylum
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
From a sponsorship of proxy fighters like Hezbollah yeah, that’s the kind of threat Iran is, nuclear I don’t think so.
If they had to lob a missile into Israel they will certainly hit the Palestinians that they pretend to support. The radioactive fallout from such a detonation will cover grounds that will be well within Iran. On the other hand, Israel has an advantage in terms of nuclear war if it strikes first and with decisiveness across a wide region as far away as possible from Iran’s western border. It’s important that Iran in this case does not give Israel an excuse to use its “UN approved nuclear weapons”.
It will be very stupid for Iran to pursue nuclear arms.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

ok, i understand and logically you're right but i am not holding my breath for logic out of Ahmadinejad. i think he is one of those nuts that doesn't care and will do it just because.

in political asylum
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
He does nott really have much power when you think about it. I am not worried about Iran as much as I am worried about us.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsmbs
ok, i understand and logically you're right but i am not holding my breath for logic out of Ahmadinejad. i think he is one of those nuts that doesn't care and will do it just because.
I concur. He looks and behaves like he is really crazy.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
DP

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
I agree maine_coon, but he is just that, a relatively harmless little man. Iranians need to vote him out (they vote wow). Iran needs to have an open debate within itslef as to what is it wants to be. Iranians need to identify their identity which they have a problem with.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 03:20 PM
~BANNED~

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Professor shush! Americans need to be sold something and nothing sells like fear! Don't reveal our #1 national product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in