Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Selective Service

Agency to Test Military Draft Machinery
By KASIE HUNT
The Associated Press
Thursday, December 21, 2006; 9:45 PM

WASHINGTON -- The Selective Service System is planning a comprehensive test of the military draft machinery, which hasn't been run since 1998.

The agency is not gearing up for a draft, an agency official said Thursday. The test itself would not likely occur until 2009.

Meanwhile, the secretary for Veterans Affairs said that "society would benefit" if the U.S. were to bring back the draft and that it shouldn't have any loopholes for anyone who is called to serve. VA Secretary Jim Nicholson later issued a statement saying he does not support reinstituting a draft.

The Selective Service "readiness exercise" would test the system that randomly chooses draftees by birth date and the network of appeals boards that decide how to deal with conscientious objectors and others who want to delay reporting for duty, said Scott Campbell, Selective Service director for operations and chief information officer.

"We're kind of like a fire extinguisher. We sit on a shelf" until needed, Campbell said. "Everyone fears our machine for some reason. Our machine, unless the president and Congress get together and say, 'Turn the machine on' ... we're still on the shelf."

The administration has for years forcefully opposed bringing back the draft, and the White House said Thursday that its position had not changed.

A day earlier, President Bush said he is considering sending more troops to Iraq and has asked Defense Secretary Robert Gates to look into adding more troops to the nearly 1.4 million uniformed personnel on active duty.

According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, increasing the Army by 40,000 troops would cost as much as $2.6 billion the first year and $4 billion after that. Service officials have said the Army wants to increase its force by 20,000 to 30,000 soldiers and the Marine Corps would like 5,000 more troops.

The unpopular war in Iraq, where more than 2,950 American troops have already died, complicates the task of finding more recruits and retaining current troops _ to meet its recruitment goals in recent years, the Army has accepted recruits with lower aptitude test scores.

In remarks to reporters in New York, Nicholson recalled his own experience as a company commander in an infantry unit that brought together soldiers of different backgrounds and education levels. He said the draft "does bring people from all quarters of our society together in the common purpose of serving."

Rep. Charles Rangel, a New York Democrat who has said minorities and the poor share an unfair burden of the war, plans to introduce a bill next year to reinstate the draft.

House Speaker-elect Nancy Pelosi has said that reinstating the draft would not be high on the Democratic-led Congress' priority list, and the White House said Thursday that no draft proposal is being considered.

Planning for the Selective Service exercise, called the Area Office Mobilization Prototype Exercise, is slated to begin in June or July of next year for a 2009 test. Campbell said budget cuts could force the agency to cancel the test, which he said should take place every three years but hasn't because of funding constraints.

Hearst Newspapers first reported the planned test for a story sent to its subscribers for weekend use.

The military drafted people during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. An agency independent of the Defense Department, the Selective Service System was reincorporated in 1980 to maintain a registry of 18-year-old men, but call-ups have not occurred since the Vietnam War.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
I do not think this will fly. Bush is headed for a crash. Someone needs to remind him he actually, really does serve the people.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:30 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
What was the highest age level used during WWII?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I do not think this will fly. Bush is headed for a crash. Someone needs to remind him he actually, really does serve the people.
Actually, it isn't Mr Bush (R-TX) who is interested in a draft, it is Mr Rangel (D-NY).

B
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
What was the highest age level used during WWII?

I believe it was 35. Someone Google to make sure... Too lazy...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 08:34 PM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Actually, it isn't Mr Bush (R-TX) who is interested in a draft, it is Mr Rangel (D-NY).

B
What Pelosi said...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
And it's 1,2,3, what are we fightin' for?****

Gimme an F!!!! Actually gimme a 4F. or the mighty 2S!!!

Alice's Restaurant: "Shrink, I wanna KILLL" Recruiter: "You're our boy!!!"

Who's gonna be the the new General Hershey? Oh boy a new Mark Rudd, Jerry Rubin, SDS, Omega "The resistance", a draft lottery number (when were YOU born?) Berkeley, People's Park, the Oakland Army Center, Lt Calley , My Lai, Gen Waste-More-Land, we had to destroy it in order to save it, HOHOHO we wont go,
1,2.3.4 we diont want your f**kin war, hey hey LBJ how many kids did you kill today

****Don't ask me I don't give a damn, next stop this time is Iran (God, it almost writes itself again!!!)

Be
the first one on the block, to have your boy come home in a box

Pass the blood to me bud. (OOPS, that's TOO far back, that was Nervous Norvus in Transfustion, about 1956)

We're talking 1967 again, sorry.

What a trip.

Close the lid Botnst, I don't want to see this anymore.

Just the music. Just the girls. Just the drugs. Groovin on a Sunday afternoon.

I just. gotta. get outta here....
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:06 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
I believe it was 35. Someone Google to make sure... Too lazy...
I have a feeling that it's higher than that
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think the high point was 42 in WWII.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 06:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 1995 E300D, 2002 Avalanche
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just in time for Animals to register. Sorry man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in