My Prediction: A Hillary-Obama ticket in 2008 - Page 8 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
My dislike for Hillary comes from her tolerance, if not outright acceptance of a long-time philandering husband. A strong woman who lacks self-respect is a dichotomy that I seem unable to come to terms with.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old300D
Simple fear. Fear of strong women. Fear of competing on the same level with women. I will vote for Hillary over any of the Repug lineup; I used to like McCain, but he has shown his colors over the last two years. Guiliani is a poser. Romney does nothing for me, but I don't know anything about him. The R primary promises to be interesting.
Yeah, and you hit right on why the Dems will win no matter who they nominate. The GOP is in some serious shit right now, teetering on the edge of self-destruction. If a top GOPer goes Libertarian, it will be Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose all over again. Any Perot style candidacy on the right will end any chance of electing a Repuke. The people in their own party are now the newest entrants into the Anti-iraq war crowd. Two more years of that shit, with Bush doing everything he can to thwart the will of Congress (and therefore the people) so he can continue to fuck the dog in Iraq, and you could run Abraham Lincoln on the ticket and they will still lose.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #73 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
My dislike for Hillary comes from her tolerance, if not outright acceptance of a long-time philandering husband. A strong woman who lacks self-respect is a dichotomy that I seem unable to come to terms with.
Maybe she actually loves him.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

post #74 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
The guy has probably screwed 100 women during their marriage, maybe more. Is your love that strong?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #75 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Maybe he really knows how to lick that thang.

post #76 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
JFK was the last one. You know, there is a really smart guy running around who might want to emulate how JFK did it.

One of the most amazing pictures of all time.

I won't bet against Hillbama. I think the Bush/Clinton cabal has agreed to two terms for Hillary, followed by Jeb, then Chelsea after she marries Kevin Federline.
post #77 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Yankee Republicans, go home!
Don't look now but New Hampshire may be casting a blue shadow over the '08 presidential race.

By Walter Shapiro

Salon

Democratic Gov. John Lynch cheers after winning his second two-year term as governor, in Manchester, N.H., Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2006.

Dec. 20, 2006 | CONCORD, N.H. -- You do not pass many Democrats on the way to John Lynch's office, just long corridors of stern portraits of prior New Hampshire governors, each an enduring testament to the state's rock-ribbed Republican past.

But the mild-mannered Lynch, a businessman turned politician, is presiding over the most dramatic revival of the Democratic Party anywhere. The governor's secret weapons are pragmatism, moderation and amiability, a three-part formula unlikely to appeal to the go-for-the-jugular partisans who demand that the Democrats ape Republican tactics. As Lynch put it, "I really go out of my way to be bipartisan in my approach involving Republicans and Democrats. I just try to put partisan politics aside and focus on the issues."

Yet it is difficult to argue with the results. Not only did Lynch coast to reelection for a second two-year term last month with a record-smashing 74 percent of the vote, but the governor swept in with him virtually every Democrat in the state who does not have to report to a parole officer. In fact, when I interviewed Lynch last week, he had just returned from a farewell lunch for the defeated Peter Spaulding, a widely respected Republican member of the state Executive Council. Spaulding was upended by a septuagenarian Democrat so casual about his political prospects that he was vacationing in Belgium on Election Day.

The Democrats had been favored to win back the state Senate (which they last controlled in 1998), but no one anticipated they would also pick up 80 seats to give them a majority in the sprawling 400-member state House for the first time since 1922. And, yes, the state's two congressional seats also flipped from Republican to Democratic. Victorious were Paul Hodes (who won just 38 percent of the vote in his first try in 2004) and Carol Shea-Porter, who ran an aggressive grass-roots campaign to compensate for raising less money than any successful congressional challenger in the nation.

State Democratic Party chairwoman Kathy Sullivan likened the November upheaval to another recent seismic event that transformed the landscape of New England. "It was like the Red Sox winning the World Series," she said. "Growing up in New Hampshire as a Red Sox fan and a Democrat, you felt doubly cursed. Now it's a month after the election and it's still incredible."

What has been going on in New Hampshire? And do the fast-shifting politics of this traditionally Republican state presage a larger Northeastern realignment?

Lynch freely acknowledged the role that national issues played in turning economically booming New Hampshire, at least temporarily, into a blue-state bastion. "There was certainly a lot of frustration with the White House, with the policy in Iraq, with the divisiveness and bickering," he said. Proudly citing polls that show that roughly 80 percent of voters believe that the state is on the right track, Lynch said, "People concluded that Washington just didn't work and New Hampshire was working."

Most gubernatorial landslides do not bring about a transformation of state politics. In Connecticut last month, moderate Republican incumbent Jodi Rell swept to a 63 percent victory in the governor's race, while at the same time the Democrats maintained a two-to-one margin in both houses of the state Legislature and picked up two congressional seats.

Several unique-to-New Hampshire factors magnified the extent of the Democratic triumph. The state still retains old-fashioned straight-ticket voting, a one-step option for party loyalty that the Republicans have protected against Democratic protests. This time around it boomeranged, with the straight-ticket voters (more than one-third of the electorate) going Democratic by a lopsided margin of 83,000 to 59,000. New Hampshire has numerous multimember state House districts, a form of gerrymandering that also encourages voters to opt for the candidates of a single party.

Then there were the aftershocks from the phone-jamming scandal, in which two GOP operatives eventually went to prison and the state party had to pay civil damages because of their illegal scheme to disrupt Democratic Party communications on Election Day 2002. As Sullivan said with evident satisfaction, "The Republican state party was bankrupt and their morale was horrible. And it was all because of the phone-jamming case, which was all their fault."

None of these local factors should minimize the larger message of the 2006 election: Old-fashioned Yankee Republicans now exist only in Norman Rockwell paintings and Pepperidge Farm commercials. Dante Scala, a political scientist at Saint Anselm College, sees the roots of New Hampshire's political transformation dating all the way back to 1964, the year when the Republicans spurned the Northeastern wing of the party to nominate conservative Barry Goldwater. "They went with the South and the West," Scala said, "and they wrote off the Yankee Republicans."

With an upper-income workforce flocking north to take jobs in New Hampshire's expanding financial-services sector and network of hospitals, the angry undertones of class-warfare politics are apt to be missing from the 2008 presidential primaries in both parties. (Remember, this is a state that chose Pat Buchanan in the 1996 Republican primary.) What will be intriguing is watching Republicans like John McCain and outgoing Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney tack right to win the support of evangelical voters in early states like Iowa and South Carolina and then have to justify their socially conservative positions to the secular voters of New Hampshire.

But from the politicians to the political science community, no one believes that state politics in New Hampshire will be as lopsided in 2008 as they were this year. Smith theorized, "The pendulum will swing back, but I don't know how much."

Lynch, who was executive director of the state Democratic Party 30 years ago before he launched his business career, recalled the heady days of 1976 when the Democrats came close to winning a majority with more than 180 votes in the state House: "Nobody thought back then that number of Democrats would ever be exceeded." And nobody imagined that a Democrat would ever be reelected governor with 74 percent of the vote in a state like New Hampshire.

post #78 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
It would be a shame if our first woman President was someone who married into the job as opposed to someone like Condi Rice who has earned her position.

Of all the women in the "party of women" can't they find one who isn't in her position as the result of marriage?

"Staind by yer man...."

Obama is a slap in the face to the "descendants of slaves", but they are too stupid to NOT vote for him. All because of the color of his skin. He is John Kerry with the "Soul Man" skin treatment.
post #79 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
The guy has probably screwed 100 women during their marriage, maybe more. Is your love that strong?
I don't pretend to know what makes a woman want to be with any man for any length of time, and, being aware of that has helped me keep the woman I snagged in 1974. Even so, would I stay with me if I was a woman? Unlikely, unless I was a hog. Which is not the case with my wife.

So, I just write off Hilary's means of dealing with Bill, 100% of Bill, the vast majority of which we will never know, as something that I don't understand, don't need to understand, and therefore don't give a shit about. Like much of everyone else's business.

But she is unelectable. Jim
post #80 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Condi Rice is a war criminal who should be arrested, tried, and executed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in