Intelligence - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheLove
Reyes is the chairman, he presides he doesn't comprise the entire committee. There are plenty of experts on the panel. You conservatives sound like a bunch of hysterical little girls.
You think we sound bad now? Your dimwits are only selecting the people they want on the committees, wait until these brainfarts actually try and do something.............

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 2014 E250 Bluetec 4-Matic, 1983 240D 4-Speed
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
You think we sound bad now? Your dimwits are only selecting the people they want on the committees, wait until these brainfarts actually try and do something.............
Now, if that doesn't sound like wishful thinking along the lines of having America fail, I don't know what does. At least the barrage of criticism about Bush and company has been based on their performance. I mean, who was raging about Brownie's appointment until after Katrina? Who was raging about the "no-plan" Iraq invasion/WMD recovery/democratization before Bush took office? You are precisely guilty of what you were accusing the "not-Republicans" of - hoping for failure before it happens to make you feel better about your side losing, all at the expense of our country.

Calm down. I think this backroom, political chip cashing bullshit that seems to be the sole extent of the selection process needs to be outlawed. The selection process needs to be more visible to the public, from the duties of the post, and the interested candidates, to the selection criteria and how the final person measured up relative to the others. Where there is opportunity to corrupt with power, apparently it is irresistable and the only way to fight it is to make the process more public. Afterall, it our government, not some freaking perverse political party's government. Jim
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
Now, if that doesn't sound like wishful thinking along the lines of having America fail, I don't know what does. At least the barrage of criticism about Bush and company has been based on their performance. I mean, who was raging about Brownie's appointment until after Katrina? Who was raging about the "no-plan" Iraq invasion/WMD recovery/democratization before Bush took office? You are precisely guilty of what you were accusing the "not-Republicans" of - hoping for failure before it happens to make you feel better about your side losing, all at the expense of our country.

Calm down. I think this backroom, political chip cashing bullshit that seems to be the sole extent of the selection process needs to be outlawed. The selection process needs to be more visible to the public, from the duties of the post, and the interested candidates, to the selection criteria and how the final person measured up relative to the others. Where there is opportunity to corrupt with power, apparently it is irresistable and the only way to fight it is to make the process more public. Afterall, it our government, not some freaking perverse political party's government. Jim
What-sa-matta Jim? Now that the shoe is almost on the other foot it's not quite as comfortable for you is it?

"Negotiating with Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon, the pigeon knocks over all the pieces, on the board and then struts around like it won the game."
Vladimir Putin

"They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?"
Paul Harvey 8/31/94

"The only people who have quick answers don't have the responsibility of making the decisions."
Justice Clarence Thomas
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce R.
What-sa-matta Jim? Now that the shoe is almost on the other foot it's not quite as comfortable for you is it?
Actually Bruce, it doesn't bother me at all. I hardly expected more. One of those patterns you recognize in people as you get a little older is, when someone accuses you of something you know right at the moment whatever the accusation was, it is something they would think of doing. And that is more than half way to doing it. So, while you were all squawking and screeching about "blame America first" and "why do want America to fail" it was apparent, like in the days of putting Clinton's blowjob at the top of the nation's priorities for 18 months, along with a witch hunt over an alleged "sweatheart land deal" that was never worth more $40K, you guys suspect other of such a mixed set of priorities because you are terminally afflicted with the same.

Doesn't bother me, but I think it should bother you that you are so superficial and predictable. Jim
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I think these guys have the executive and legislative functions mixed up, especially Bruce R, what with his microscopic cranial cavity and all. This is the way it works: the voters in a district can send Terry Schiavo to Congress if they feel like it, and if she can live on her feeding tube long enough to get seniority, she will get assignments on committees. Th beauty of it all is that they work as a group of people, there are Terry Schiavos, but there are also a few Albert Einsteins in there as well. Together they provide something, except of course if they are GOP fascists trying to cover up GOP incompetance, called "oversight", or checking to see if the people in the executive branch are doing their jobs in conformance with the law. Reyes, a former cop, is just the guy I want to see in that job, and I could give a fuck if he doesn't knows Mars is a planet or an asteriod. If he knows what the law is, and he knows who needs to go to jail, he will be the best intelligence head we ever had, after six years of illegal war, illegal use of intelligence, and corruption. In other words, what we really need is one honest man.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address

Last edited by FeelTheLove; 12-12-2006 at 01:01 PM.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I think these guys have the executive and legislative functions mixed up, ..
Probably so. Those guys think that people in charge of Intelligence Committees ought to know the religions of Al Qaeda and Hizbollah. What morons I'm with you guys on this: It is more important to know how to position one's party for increasing their power.

I'm with you: The role of the Congress is to know nothing about their sphere of responsibility and ask questions about that.

Genius, pure genius.

B
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Like I said, my objection is to the selection process and the general feeling by both parties that who they choose for what roles in these committees is none of our business. That is just bullshit.

Now, the considerations Pelosi went through to pick this guy, while not a public process I would prefer, must have been weighed and his skillset evaluated against others. If, as FTL pointed out, he is a process man, with less of an inclination to want to be the subject matter expert, and instead to make sure the final answer has been vetted and debated and is as technically, legally and morally sound as it can be, well, that might be a good reason. Or at least a reason. But, for some reason these details are not considered "any of the public's business" and there is some precedent that grants the new Speaker of the House this right to construct these groups charged with carrying out the detailed duties of these elected officials of the US government, in a fashion that suits the Speaker of the House's wishes. If this appointment business is going to be fixed, it should be set up to be visible. If, in the end, the way it is decided to be done is the same as it is done today, if the method is debated we will all know what the advantages of "staying the course" are.

In the cases at hand the selection process seems fraught with peril. More cronyism. More political paybacks. More corruption. And, if Pelosi and the Democrats want to set a new standard, they have some repair work to start with the American people, already, as these examples to date don't have the warm glow of openness and honesty. They smell just like that smoky back room. Jim
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 83 Astral Silver 280 SL
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
Probably so. Those guys think that people in charge of Intelligence Committees ought to know the religions of Al Qaeda and Hizbollah. What morons I'm with you guys on this: It is more important to know how to position one's party for increasing their power.

I'm with you: The role of the Congress is to know nothing about their sphere of responsibility and ask questions about that.

Genius, pure genius.

B
So we should now just quit having elections? Why shouldn't anyone be able to get elected serve on one of these committees? That's called "democracy". No wonder you guys can't pull it off in Iraq, you don't even know WTF it is.

Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.

-President Barack Obama, 1st Inaugural address
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 95 E300
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
So we should now just quit having elections? Why shouldn't anyone be able to get elected serve on one of these committees? That's called "democracy". No wonder you guys can't pull it off in Iraq, you don't even know WTF it is.
Nice dance step, podnuh!

If one argument falls apart, pretend it's another one and soldier-on.

Pelosi is revealing herself as either a slow-learner or a major political hack on the order of Jim Wright.

Instead of appointing Jane Harmon, a serious, intelligent and obviously well-informed intelligence expert, first Pelosi feints an appointment to an impeached and convicted former federal judge (whom she even voted to impeach, for crissake) and then settles on a nice man who doesn't know the religious affiliations of the major terrorists groups in the Middleast.

Why not appoint Harmon? Pelosi doesn't think she (Harmon) is sufficiently politically partisan.

Busted!

B
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM
DP

Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think this was the set of questions given:

1. The terrorist group Al Qaeda is overwhelmingly made up of what kind of Muslims?

a. Shiite
b. Sunni
c. Kurds
d. Nation of Islam

2. The known nuclear proliferator, AQ Khan, comes from which country?

a. North Korea
b. Iran
c. Pakistan
d. Libya
e. Iraq

3. Which of the following countries is known to have nuclear weapons?

a. Israel
b. Iraq
c. Iran
d. Libya

4. Which of the following leaders was elected in an election deemed to be fair by outside observers?

a. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia
b. King Abdullah of Jordan
c. Hugo Chavez of Venezuela
d. Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan

5. Which option correctly shows the US share of world population and its share of world oil use?

a. 5% of the world population, 25% of world oil use
b. 16% of the world population, 16% of world oil use
c. 25% of the world population, 25% of world oil use
d. 3% of the world population, 6% of world oil use

6. How much of Mexico’s GDP in 2005 came from remittances, money sent back to Mexico from migrant workers in other countries (primarily the United States)?

a. $48.3 million
b. $879.6 million
c. $13.7 billion
d. $48.3 billion

7. How many new jobs have been created by NAFTA?

a. 1,000,000
b. none — the US has effectively LOST 1,000,000 jobs due to NAFTA
c. none — the US has not lost or gained any jobs due to NAFTA
d. 56

8. What is the most common cause of personal bankruptcy?

a. Gambling debt
b. Medical expenses
c. Laziness
d. Unnecessary consumer expenditures

9. Which of the following is not a likely result of global warming?

a. Tsunamis in Asian countries
b. Heat waves killing thousands of people
c. Rising sea levels
d. Diminished agricultural productivity

10. How much has the average cost of a college education risen in the last five years?

a. 3%
b. 15%
c. 40%
d. 120%

11. Which state has the lowest divorce rate?

a. Georgia
b. Massachusetts
c. Missouri
d. Utah

12. Which country has the highest number of people in prison?

a. China
b. India
c. Russia
d. United States

13. What is the poverty threshold for a family of four (with two children under 18) per the Census Bureau (2005)?

a. $19,806
b. $21,424
c. $24,498
d. $25,255

14. Which country had no citizens among the nineteen 9-11 hijackers?

a. Egypt
b. Iraq
c. Saudi Arabia
d. Lebanon

15. Which of the following did the September 14, 2001, Authorization for the Use of Force resolution specifically provide for?

a. Domestic surveillance of telephone conversations.
b. Extraordinary rendition of suspected terrorists.
c. Suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.
d. None of the above.

16. How much has the S&P 500 index gone up since President Bush took office?

a. It has actually fallen.
b. 2.5 percent.
c. 25 percent.
d. 125 percent.

Ok, This is your final exam kids so do well and may the "Force" be with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in